back to article Apple sprays down bug-ridden iOS 11 with more fixes

Apple has posted an update to address a host of bugs in its iOS mobile software. The iOS 11.2 update patches both security and stability bugs in the iPad/iPhone firmware. It will also improve the wireless charging for new iPhones and add a payments feature to Siri and Messages, Apple promises. The bugs addressed in iOS 11.2 …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jumping the shark?

I wonder if this is the point at which Apple start to lose it, as far as software goes. Leaving aside all the fanboyism and expensive-hardware-ism, they've historically been reasonably good at shipping software that mostly works. Both iOS 11 and OSX 10.13 (or whatever we are meant to call it, not OSX I know) seem to have really pretty serious quality-control problems though, which indicates, perhaps, something rotting in Apple. (Or, more likely, I have just conveniently forgotten the older releases.)

2. SpinkyMuffler
    FAIL

Apple be brilliant

Given that when you install the update on your iPhone/iPad you can no longer run and debug your apps from the current version of XCode on those upgraded devices I think that Apple should rename themselves Assle.

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

Re: Apple be brilliant

"Given that when you install the update on your iPhone/iPad you can no longer run and debug your apps from the current version of XCode on those upgraded devices..."

Please return your software developer license.

Yesterday, you could run and debug your apps with the latest beta version of Xcode. Today, you can run and debug your apps with the latest released version of Xcode (9.2).

3. Sam Haine

Does Tim need to spend a bit less on share buybacks and a bit more on software testing?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I love Apple.

1. Tigra 07
      Trollface

RE: AC

I love lamp.

-Brick

2. agatum

I love Apple.

I loveD Apple.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don’t get it.

The calculator has worked passably well for some years now. What on Earth are Apple programmers doing fiddling with and breaking such basic stuff? It’s like Apple have outsourced the programming and QA to Microsoft. iOS is definitely getting worse and worse.

1. ThomH

Re: I don’t get it.

It looks to me like a reskinning in which the programmer was sufficiently inexperienced not to be aware of the default behaviour when using Core Animation. The issue is that the animation applied to the orange buttons (i.e. the operators) blocks input until it completes. A one-line fix.

Maybe they should have done something crazy, like QA testing?

6. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

Root - not a flaw in MacOS

This is not a flaw in MacOS. It was a flaw opened up in the 10.13.1 release. Before then it didn't exist. I clarified this with its discoverer, since experiments on my machine did not show up the problem. It was because it was very quickly patched and I already had updates installed.

Prior to this, root (the Unix all-powerful user) is disabled by default on MacOS (and OS X before). If you really have a use for root, you have to do a few things to enable it. Without root, no one can log in to it, but when enabled you can do things that only researchers and hobbyists might be interested in (not even developers generally need root).

So someone had temporarily broken the way this worked. The guy who spotted it reported it to Apple and it was quickly closed.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like