back to article Inside Internet Archive: 10PB+ of storage in a church... oh, and a little fight to preserve truth

At the Internet Archive's headquarters in San Francisco, California, on Wednesday, technologists, educators, archivists, and others fact-oriented folks gathered to discuss how they and the like-minded can save news from the memory hole – a conceit conjured by George Orwell to describe a political mechanism for altering the truth …

Silver badge

Re: 35PB ? What about the Internet?

It's better than nothing though. I don't think they claim otherwise.

Silver badge
Boffin

Re: 35PB ? What about the Internet?

The Research division of my company has more than this and we don't consider ourselves that big - CERN has multiple hundred PB of data.

Gee, no bias from the author?

WRONG! Since he completely ignored the last Democrat President, I only feel it necessary to give one of his famous quotes, to which I'm sure has been archived hundreds, if not thousands of times:

"If you like your Doctor, you can 'KEEP' your Doctor" !!!

Anonymous Coward

Re: Gee, no bias from the author?

Yeah, as if only one president has ever lied...

"I am not a crook."

"Read my lips, no new taxes."

"I am not having sexual relations with that woman."

Just about everything out of Donny's mouth/fingers.

Face it, if you record everything a person said for four years, you'd have more whoppers than Burger King. The difference is, most politicians try to claim that they were misquoted, misunderstood, or had better "facts", they don't simply erase what they said. The author was pointing out that GWB kept changing the headline as it suited him, since it clearly didn't match reality.

Silver badge
Angel

Having the tech Storage in an alcove in a church, that is so American Gods

Personally, I'd really rather no one where their umpteen petabytes of storage were stored. An old church is not the safest place in the world. They'd be better off if they used someone like Iron Mountain to house the storage.

Linux

Backups

I hope that they have a good backup system in place. Distributed in different areas around the world. As for the speed of backup, just to paraphrase Tanenbaum: "Don't underestimate the data transfer rate of a van with backup tapes along the motorway."

Bronze badge
Stop

Re: Backups

The problem is not to move the van. The problem is to fill the tapes.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018