back to article Brit moron tried buying a car bomb on dark web, posted it to his address. Now he's screwed

A British teenager who tried to order a car bomb on the dark web and get it delivered to his address has been found guilty this week. Gurtej Randhawa Failure ... Gurtej Randhawa (Source: NCA) Gurtej Randhawa, 19, of Wightwick, in the West Midlands of England, was cuffed by cops in May after purchasing what he thought was …

Silver badge

Re: Um, car bomb? Yet, no "link to terrorism"? Yeah, sure.

I heard he was really offended by the VW emissions thing and that Passat had it coming.

I have felt that way about a Passat...

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Re: er...

"He's assuming that because the guy is brown."

it ALSO takes a racist to make a statement like that... because SJW's who focus on race are, in fact, RACIST for doing so.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

...just common or garden grudge, seeking to blow up their car, seemingly with them in i...t

It that's the case, someone should've told the poor guy that there's easier ways to blow up a car than the way he chose. Why, a self-driving tour of Russia would've been at least as effective (if YouTube is to be believed...), and probably looked less suspicious. And he could enjoy it over and over and overtearfully watch the horrible death of his poor parents along with thousands of others.

Paris icon coz not sure if I should use the joke icon or something else.

(Disclaimer: I suspect that per capita Russian drivers aren't that bad, but also per capita have far more dashcams so catch far more incidents)

Silver badge
Pint

Re: the vast majority of terrorist incidents world wide are linked to Islam

Seriously, I don't get it.

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

Western nations aren't exactly going head over heals to institute such things. hello

Look closer. "Head over heels"? No. "How can we make the public want this?" - that's another matter.

Bronze badge

To voland

"You would be surprised by how many people in western countries would like to introduce these."

Not many as people in these places tend to vote in their laws and none of them have voted these in. But religious dictatorships are another thing....

Actually the primary purpose of a car bomb is usually to blow up the car and kill the occupants, trying to kill or injure nearby pedestrians with shrapnel would usually be achieved by filling the entire car with something explosive or flammable. A car bomb is usually small and concealed so the driver of the car doesn't notice its presence until it detonates.

That said there is also a small chance that this guy was driven by curiosity rather than nefarious purposes, perhaps he wanted to buy an old car and blow it up in a field somewhere to make a youtube video? People are *supposed* to be innocent until proven guilty and destroying your own property is not a crime.

Silver badge

I'm assuming the 4 pages of comments are all in one chain due the the el reg system , so this one will appear 4 pages and 50 subjects later than the one I'm replying to, so i wont bother.

Its interesting looking at the patterns of up and down votes to the comments on this discussion though.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Judging a book by it's cover

We don't need white people to 'help us', defend or pander to us. We definitely don't want white people going out of their way to show us they aren't racist. It's not shocking to us, when we invite these white individuals to come to our house to have an evening meal... they'll do everything to change the subject or wiggle out.

You want to lash out against racism then lash out at racism/prejudice, but do it without describing color, religion, jihad, etc. Stop pandering and whining, and start living and accepting ALL people the SAME.

I would like to add a flipside to that, though - stop explaining everything you don't like as racism. I grew up with people of all colour and race, and to me, skin colour has about the same significance as hair colour. We used to poke fun at each other about either colour in the same fashion, and that was OK because we accepted that was simply a physical difference that had no local or collective impact on the person underneath. I accept that other people with my skin colour have been racist and abusive, but recognise that that doesn't make *all* white people racists.

It may help if you translate that "pandering" as people actually caring, and being upset that others not only are racists but actively encourage each other to perpetuate that miscategorisation of fellow human beings. If there is something you don't like, gently correct them but remember that they're on "your" side, with "your" meaning "our - all of us".

Apologies if this is a bit of a ramble but I wanted to do this unedited.

BTW: in fact, few white people exist. Generally they're pink-ish :).

BTW2: if being of colour is so bad, do racists avoid getting a tan?

Anonymous Coward

Most acts of terrorism are committed by muslims. i.e. they believe that there is only one true religion and way of life and all should follow it or should not exist

I'm not entirely sure the IRA & associated outfits have entirely stopped.

Anonymous Coward

"All the name tells you is that he has Pubjabi heritage (Jat, specifically) and most Punjabis are Pakistani (~70%) and therefore Muslim (~98%)."

Wrong. Punjabi heritage yes, but after 1947, part of Punjab ended up in Pakistan and the rest in India. Guess which side the Muslims ended up in?

And Randhawa is a typically Sikh surname not Muslim.

Silver badge

The top-knot also suggests a wearer of a Sikh turban.

Also, pre-partition, lots of Sikhs lived in the Punjab. Post-partition, lots of them were dead and the rest fled to India.

Same happened in reverse in the parts of the Punjab that remained Indian - the Moslems were mostly dead or fled to Pakistan.

A pretty terrible situation for all involved.

So - having a Punjabi name certainly doesn't preclude him being Sikh.

Silver badge

Most acts of terrorism are committed by muslims

I would suggest that you don't approach a member of the RealIRA and suggest that he might be a Muslim..

Anonymous Coward

ok but can we at least agree:

99.99999% muslim people = good

many ideas in islam = bad

Criticising ideas (not people) should not be equated with racism/bigotry plus some simple facts about the link between islamism and terrorism need to be accepted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIAb5tkU0AAyKyA.jpg

Silver badge

"Most acts of terrorism are committed by muslims

I would suggest that you don't approach a member of the RealIRA and suggest that he might be a Muslim.."

Oh, I'd suggest that he do just that. Just so long as he let me know beforehand, so that I could watch from a nice safe distance. And, if possible, he should let me have enough time to get some popcorn.

isr

(This is the same level of intelligence as those dimwits who used to go around beating up Sikhs in 'Murica because they wear turbans, so they must be related to Bin Laden. Except in this case, tragicomically - its in reverse.)

Lovely how people think a few google searches suddenly makes them an authoritative expert. NOT.

(copious use of uppercase below means exactly what it implies)

Yes, the larger part of Punjab is now in Pakistan. And that is predominantly Muslim.

However, as someone OF Pakistani (and Punjabi) heritage, I can (and, well, WILL) tell you, categorically, that his name DOES show that he is NOT a Muslim.

Consequently, without any further research, you can deduce (with a likely success rate in the high 99% range) that he is also not of Pakistani-Punjabi origin.

If you had done a little better job with your googling (basically, just see the bbc article about this which gives his FULL name, with 'Singh'), then you can up the probablity that he is not Pakistani nor Muslim to 99.99999999%

In which case, we can now state with greater confidence that you are a visitor from Alpha Centauri Prime, than we can state that he is a Pakistani-Muslim.

isr

So despite the facts that:

- he's not a Muslim

- he's not from a Muslim country

the "probabilities" still check out for you?

And, if you're from Murica, then the fact that most of the biggest terrorist incidents in the last decade have all been carried out by white Christian men wih guns, you're still equating terrorism with Muslims solely?

Hmm ...

Silver badge

"If you had done a little better job with your googling (basically, just see the bbc article about this which gives his FULL name, with 'Singh'), then you can up the probablity that he is not Pakistani nor Muslim to 99.99999999%"

Ooh, yeah... someone with 'Singh' in their name and from anywhere _near_ the Punjab is going to be Sikh (95+% probability) or Hindu (what's left) not Muslim. Not unless he converted and kept the name, anyway, something quite unlikely. All (male) Sikhs have 'Singh' somewhere about (girls have 'Kaur') but not all Singhs are Sikhs.

Silver badge
FAIL

A link to religion

That's usually enough.

Silver badge

The other possibility...

... is that the people running the online market tipped off plod. Crims dealing in drugs and professional hit men aren't necessarily going to have any truck with jihadis.

Anonymous Coward

Re: The other possibility...

Or that he posted right into a honey pot.

If they're selling bomb material, they probably won't care about who's buying.

Arms dealers aren't known for their high moral standards, after all.

Silver badge
Trollface

Arms dealers aren't known for their high moral standards, after all.

That could explain some things about US.GOV...

Anonymous Coward

That could explain some things about US. many GOVs...

It's not just the US that has a large dependency on arms sales in their economy.

Silver badge

"If they're selling bomb material, they probably won't care about who's buying.

Arms dealers aren't known for their high moral standards, after all."

Au contraire, arms dealers have very high standards. Try shorting their payment and see what happens.

Anonymous Coward

Say, do any online souks have Tsar Bombas for sale?

Silver badge

For sale, or listed for sale with delivery of one long jail sentance?

Gold badge

What's the delivery cost on a Tsar Bomba?

A quick Wiki suggests that it's 27 tonnes - and 8m x 2.1m diameter - so you can't even use the forklift in your garage to unload it off the delivery lorry.

Still, given the cost, I suppose it's not that much more expensive to just buy a lorry and never take it off that until you're ready to use it.

Silver badge

hmm... it's Russian, it's old, are you sure it's still in working order? Perhaps you might want to test it.

Silver badge
Mushroom

There's a MK.17 thermonuclear bomb (yield up to 20 Mt) on display at Castle Air Museum in Atwater next to the Convair B-36 Peacemaker. I was going to steal it, but it weighs 21 tons. Anyway, I think it's a dud. I bashed the front as hard as I could and the thing refused to go off.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4110/5168272429_807c9560da_b.jpg

Anonymous Coward

I hear Kim's "Bombs and Noodles" has one, and the infamous "Cohen Brothers" may also sell.

Bronze badge
Happy

Re: bomb on display

AFAIR it was the Science Museum in London that weighted the V-1 before they hoisted it up to put it on display to find that it had exactly the correct mass of 4740 lb and than realized that that included a ton of high explosive. Fortunately the V-1 was topped up with gravel to the listed weight instead.

Silver badge
Coat

AFAIR it was the Science Museum in London that weighted the V-1 before they hoisted it up to put it on display to find that it had exactly the correct mass of 4740 lb and than realized that that included a ton of high explosive. Fortunately the V-1 was topped up with gravel to the listed weight instead.

Bringing slightly new meaning to "hoist by [their] own petard"....

Silver badge

I bet the handy man at the museum was overjoyed that 4740 lb exhibit that he had been instructed to hoist into the air had been adjusted to the correct weight with the addition of 1 ton of gravel , after all its important that when hanging over the heads of the visiting public they are staring up at authentically weighted items.

Silver badge

"hoist by [their] own petard"

A petard being a very old-fashioned mortar or fixed charge used for assaulting city walls with mid-level explosive devices..

So no, not really.

Silver badge

'petard' is Frog for 'fart'. Froggy wits applied the term to what might now be called a breaching charge. (No, not something moved around in one's breeches, not unless one has a desire for 72 virgins.) HM Royal Engineers showed that it's not true that engineers in general and military engineers in particular have no sense of humo(u)r when they applied the term to the projectile launched by a particular type of armo(u)red vehicle-mounted mortar during WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petard

The Froggy wits used "hoisted by one's own petard" (in Frog, of course, I can't be bothered to translate it back) to mean 'blown up by your own fart, you silly git, you must be English'. Or something like that. There might also have been some mention of hamsters and elderberries. Frogs are rude. Sassenach deserve it.

Anonymous Coward

maliciously possessing an explosive substance

If the boys in blue had switched the package they surely he did not possess anything explosive. or did I miss something?

Silver badge

Re: maliciously possessing an explosive substance

"intent to endanger life or cause serious injury" Once you have established that he intends to set off a bomb, then you not need him to come into contact with the physical device.

Bronze badge

But the charge was:

possessing an explosive substance with intent to endanger life or cause serious injury.

Poster was pointing out that if it was never delivered, he was never in possession of the explosive. (Though he fully intended to be, and the stupid idiot deserves everything he gets)

Bronze badge

Which would have been his breif's argument too. It would appear to have failed. Probably on the arcane point that the miscreant THOUGHT and acted as though he was in possession of a live explosive device.

If you point a replica firearm at the police regardless of whether you know it is a replica or not they are very likely to shoot you.

Hell, being in possession of a table leg and a Glasgow accent can get you shot dead in London.

Silver badge

"Hell, being in possession of a table leg and a Glasgow accent can get you shot dead in London."

Was the Glasgow accent even a factor?

Bronze badge

Re: Was the Glasgow accent even a factor?

Kind of, Police were told about an Irishman with a shotgun in a bag,.... so of course went into Rambo mode thinking they were foiling an IRA terror plot, but instead shot a Scot carrying repaired table leg, in the back.

So the accent was relevant because someone who was shit at detecting accents SWATted him and got him killed.

Silver badge

"Possession" does not necessarily mean the common dictionary definition but how it is defined by law and case law. Also, the offence seems to be "possession of an explosive substance" which is different to "explosive device". It could have been possession of a non-viable explosive device which still contained explosive substance. It could possible refer to the detonator rather than any primary explosive.

The defence team likely argued it wasn't as charged, and the court found otherwise. To imagine they convicted for an offence which it clearly wasn't doesn't seem that likely to me. But courts are not infallible which is why we have appeal courts.

Silver badge

Re: Was the Glasgow accent even a factor?

The Net have problems distinguishing between Scottish and Irish accents just as they have trouble distinguishing between Middle Eastern and South American complexions.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Stop

Re: Time to start deporting the problem fast before it gets much worse!

"and eject the people en-mass of alien religions/cultures, who are more likely to be radicalised to do violence!"

Fair point, get rid of all those Christians, crazy fundementalists the lot of them - just look what they did during the Spanish Inquisition, terrible. Britain should be for the Pagan Celts!

Silver badge

The Anglo-Saxons (and Jutes) weren't Christians, they were Europeans (Germans, specifically). That's far, far worse and thanks to Forage and his fellow Brexiteers we now have a mandate to get rid of the lot of them! We need to take back control of this country and deport all Germans, Normans and assorted Scandinavians (i.e. "the English") back to where they came from (Denmark, Germany and Norway).

Anonymous Coward

eject the people en-mass of alien religions/cultures,

Yeah, suggest that to Trump, have him throw out all those European invaders and give America back to the native inhabitants.

Silver badge

eject the people en-mass of alien religions/cultures

Yeah, they're the worst, especially those religions that started in the Middle East, you know like in Jerusalem, or Nazareth...

Silver badge

We need to take back control of this country and deport all Germans, Normans and assorted Scandinavians (i.e. "the English") back to where they came from (Denmark, Germany and Norway).

That's still not going to solve the problem. All you Cro-Magnons need to get out of this country, and indeed out of Europe, every last one of you. Us Neanderthals were here first.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017