back to article The UK's super duper 1,000mph car is being tested in Cornwall

The 1,000mph (1,609 kmph) Bloodhound supersonic car is undergoing its first test runs at Newquay Airport in Cornwall later today. Whizzing up and down the 2,744-metre runway, the Bloodhound car is planned to reach speeds of up to 200mph (322kmph). The car, built in Bristol over the last eight years by a group of enthusiastic …

Silver badge

Re: Love them - additional

No where in the land speed record does it specify "car", although funnily enough, motorcycles are defined. It just has to be a vehicle that can set the speed while on the ground (essentially)

Anonymous Coward

Re: Love them

There's a very tight definition of car that this fits. A while ago someone tried the land speed record in a 3 wheeler and ended up having to split the from into two very closely spaced wheels to fit in with the rules.

Silver badge

"The land-speed record hasn't been held by a wheel-driven vehicle since the 1960s."

No, they've all been low-flying aircraft records since then. That's low as in zero altitude.

What is the current record for a wheel-driven vehicle?

Silver badge

'What is the current record for a wheel-driven vehicle?'

If only there was some way of searching a massive cross-section of the world's knowledge base to find out. I think the first person to come up with a way of doing that could make a fortune.

In the meantime I'd guess at about 439MPH.

Def
Silver badge

Car, noun - a self-propelled road vehicle designed to carry passengers.

As cool as this may be, calling it a car is pushing it a bit.

As an aside, what sort of mileage does it get?

Headmaster

"Car, noun - a self-propelled road vehicle designed to carry passengers"

Really? So what's the word that describes single-seater racing vehicles then? I always thought it was "car, however on your definition they fail on two counts; they're not road vehicles and they're not designed to carry passengers...

Anonymous Coward

vehicles where the power is delivered through the wheels, currently held by the Vesco Turbinator.

Which is twice as fast as the Tesco Verbinator.

Silver badge

'Car, noun - a self-propelled road vehicle designed to carry passengers.'

So the thing I've got with two wheels that can carry passengers and is self-propelled, that's a car right?

Anonymous Coward

"Knowing us El reg folk we could probably argue about the definition of a car all day"

If its a car then ElReg readers should be able to reference it in some "tedious^h^h^h^h^h^hamusing" example of why linux/osx/android/ios/windows is better than windows/linux/osx/android/ios

Thumb Up

I don't think they are aiming a the car speed record, but land-speed record, which I guess means any vehicle that has one or more wheels in touch with the earth, driven by the wheels or pushed by a rocket / jet engine. Even Malcolm Campbell's 'Blue bird' from the 1930's wouldn't be considered a normal car.

Silver badge

I think the first person to come up with a way of doing that could make a fortune

Not sure about that, sounds complicated, I think it will take four or five attempts before it works properly.

An American group is planning on breaking the land speed record for a wheel driven car, they are aiming for 550mph.

Have a search for target 550 www.target550.com

Silver badge
Happy

Car:

Originally a contraction of 'Motorised Carriage'.

It's a carriage of a sort.

It's motorised in a way.

Its a car.

It's also rather a lot of FUN

Silver badge

@Def -- Re: Love them

As an aside, what sort of mileage does it get?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it. But back of the envelope is something along the lines of "barrels per mile".....

Re: I think the first person to come up with a way of doing that could make a fortune

:I think the first person to come up with a way of doing that could make a fortune

Not sure about that, sounds complicated, I think it will take four or five attempts before it works properly.

===

That kind of instability will likely be an additional non-essential part of normal operating capacity... I think we should call it something now to help identify it.

Lets call it Java.

Def
Silver badge

...however on your definition they fail on two counts...

Not my definition. That's what the dictionary says.

Silver badge

"and they're not designed to carry passengers..."

There are, and have been in the past, many road legal cars that are single seaters, not to mention most race cars such as F1 and the rest of the Formula [n|x] races.

Silver badge
Joke

Missed Opportunity...

"The car, built in Bristol over the last eight years by a group of enthusiastic engineers, will make two runs to test the Bloodhound team's operating procedure"

How could you not refer to them as "The Bloodhound Gang"?

Coat

1000mph is all very well but when you are stuck in stationary traffic on the M25 you will feel a bit silly, especially at 40lt/s fuel usage.

Silver badge

No problem, at that speed you just aim for the pot holes and you'll fly over the traffic.

Anonymous Coward

Not as silly as the person who's sat in the queue behind your exhaust.

"Not as silly as the person who's sat in the queue behind your exhaust."

Who is now presumably a large pile of ash! ;)

MJI
Silver badge

Genuine rocket scientist as well

Ron Ayers

Silver badge
Happy

Saw this on the news this morning

They are having to plan their runs to dodge the incoming and outgoing planes using the same runway.

Gold badge
Happy

Re: Saw this on the news this morning

Spoilsports! Why can't they race them? It would give the passengers something to scream talk about...

Thumb Down

"They are having to plan their runs to dodge the incoming and outgoing planes using the same runway."

Guess the news was wrong then as they've closed the runways. Look at the YouTube live feed.

Silver badge
Facepalm

What, fake news?

swm
Go

Bloodhound 1 cleared to taxi.

Silver badge
Joke

Bloodhound 1 cleared to taxi.

Uber are involved? Cheep fairs then. Ducks.

Built buy??

Alot of the fabrication has been done by the UK military Engineer regiments.

Designed my volunteers certainly.

Silver badge
Headmaster

Re: Built buy??

Amazing, in under 20 words you managed to spell "by" incorrectly two times*, but nailed it once!

* Or maybe you have volunteers, and you, er, "designed" them. I suppose you can count children as (usually unwilling) designed volunteers. Looking at many kids, I think their parents might have been drunk whilst designing them but I digress

Silver badge

Aerodynamic design by Swansea University! Yay! Go Jacks! #MWGA

Silver badge

'A lot of the fabrication has been done by the UK military Engineer regiments.'

Doesn't mean they didn't volunteer to build it, or are you saying they were paid to do it?

Silver badge

A manned missile?

Let's face it, the pilot is not really going to be in control in any meaningful sense. And that brings up a point: there are a lot of ideas - powered fighting suits etc. - that put a human being in a situation where you find that a lot of dead weight is there to protect the occupant. The thing would function better if you took the human and all the associated paraphernalia out, operating the thing remotely instead, or even running it automatically. This is why drones are becoming so "popular" with the military - fly them to the limit of machine endurance, not human, and eliminate all those safety features that add weight and reduce range etc.

Re: A manned missile?

If you did that then it wouldn't count for the Land Speed Record.

Believe me, Andy Green will be in control of BloodhoundSSC all the way, he was a very great part of the reason for the successful ThrustSSC campaign in the mid 1990s.

Mushroom

WTF

If you watch the youtube link they have people from Oracle there!

They use raspberry pi's feeding to the Oracle cloud.

Anonymous Coward

Why so called?

I've had a quick look, but cant find the answer : Why Bloodhound? I'm not a massive expert on doggies, but Bloodhounds and renown for the sniffing, rather than their speed. Perhaps 'Greyhound' might have had American Bus connotations, so not using that is understandable. How about calling it 'Mick the Miller'? Or perhaps Whippet?

Silver badge

Re: Why so called?

Well, there was a UK built Bloodhound ground-to-air missile some years ago.

Or it keeps its nose to the ground?

I was always amused when I passed the base near Huntingdon of Whippet Coaches.

Yes. Ron Ayers, the aerodynamicist for both Thrust SSC and Bloodhound SSC worked on the Bloodhound missile in the 1950s so the name is a reference to that.

Anonymous Coward

"Yes. Ron Ayers,....."

Many thanks Brian, you are a search engine, and no mistake.

Silver badge

Whippet? Whippet good?

With apologies to Devo...

Silver badge

Ignorant plonker?

Why to UK commentators adopt that "I know nothing about anything and that's just fine" attitude? I suppose it's better than "I don't know anything but I'm going to pretend I do" (copyright James Burke Esq.).

Isn't it?

Silver badge

Darwin Moment Ahead?

I'm reminded of the guy who strapped a rocket to his chevy and ended up in a mountain side somewhere in the American southwest... but that was just a hoax...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y92NgQxg8BQ

"the man who literally drove through the sound barrier"

<facepalm>

"the man who literally drove through the sound barrier"

I have less of problem with that than with the fact that apparently he 'literally' drove into the record books, presumably there was a big pile of them deposited carelessly at the end of the test track for him to ram into...

Silver badge
Coat

I bet my 19 year old Toyota Corolla could match it.

Going down a hill.

Or off a cliff.

Gold badge

Off a cliff and with rocket assistance, maybe. But you'd need a very tall cliff, or lots of rockets.

Also, to qualify for these speed records, the same vehicle is required to perform the journey in reverse within an hour. It's possible this may present a few problems for your Corolla...

I suggest you get sponsorship from a manufacturer of Gaffer tape. That'll fix anything.

Silver badge

"Also, to qualify for these speed records, the same vehicle is required to perform the journey in reverse within an hour. It's possible this may present a few problems for your Corolla."

A big spring at the bottom. A VERY big spring.

Terminal velocity

Felix Baumgartner reached a terminal velocity of 834mph but the air was thin, falling from an altitude of 128,000 feet. So I doubt your less than aerodynamic Corolla could match that, even off a very tall cliff.

Silver badge

Or a very strong bungee cord

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018