back to article Hate to break it to you, but billions of people can see Uranus tonight

Attention, inhabitants of the northern hemisphere of our fragile home world. You're about to get one of the best peeks at Uranus in years – because the strange alien planet will reach opposition with the Sun and be at the closest point in its orbit to Earth. On Thursday and Friday, Earth will be directly in between the second- …

Silver badge

Sigh

Sigh, not one mention of its inhabitants, the Suppository people.

Silver badge

Re: Sigh

How did they get up there?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Sigh

I tried suppositories once, absolutely useless, I might as well have stuck them up my arse.

Silver badge

Innuendo

The Italian brand.

Anonymous Coward

Could have used an accurate picture

With the ring properly being centered over the equator, rather than the 'lines' of the ring being over the equator - the 'empty' centre of the ring should be over the equator

Silver badge
Joke

Re: Could have used an accurate picture

With the ring properly being centered over the equator, rather than the 'lines' of the ring being over the equator - the 'empty' centre of the ring should be over the equator

But what's that got to do with anuses?

Joke

Re: Could have used an accurate picture

Shirley 'ani'?!

Silver badge

Forecast: clouds!

Typical! Given the wide orbit, the view should be OK for quite a while around opposition, however so I might still have a shot at imaging it. Even then, in my 8" scope Uranus (stop sniggering at the back), is never an amazing site. I captured it last year with my C8, but it just shows up as a little ball of a curious blue green colour. Neptune is even smaller. Having said that, when I first bagged both Uranus and Neptune one summer night in 1995, I did feel the solar system had become bigger for me.

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: Forecast: clouds!

Yeah. If there is something to see in the sky, it WILL be raining. Or cloudy. Or some other piece of UK weather that makes the sky look like the inside of a snot-filled handkerchief.

Putting Astronomical events in a UK rag is just trolling.

FAIL

Avoirdupois

" 18.91 astronomical units"?

This is The Register. Let's have some proper el reg units.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Avoirdupois

that would be depth of an olympic swimming pools or length of a london bendy double decker, head to rudder (borrowed from the beeb)

Bronze badge

Re: Avoirdupois

In 1676 Ole Rømer measured the speed of light from observations of Jupiter's moons as a little over three minutes per astronomical units. He did not know the actual length of 1 A.U. in Rijnlandse voeten, swimming pools (Olympic or otherwise), London double deckers or any other unit. For me 18.91 A.U. is still 157.27 lightminutes. Thank you.

Silver badge
Happy

Be sure to text all your friends..

Ur anus is visible tonite

Silver badge
Coat

What colour is Uranus?

The same colour as Mars.

Yeah, it's a very old joke. But all the other old jokes were already taken.

Pint

@ Iain Thomson

Uranus is instantly recognizable thanks to its blue-green color, which is the result of the methane in Uranus tinting the atmosphere

Well played, sir !

Silver badge

International Observe the Moon Night

Is that International as in all over the USA and bits of Canada?

Anonymous Coward

"slightly more easier to pick out"

Not merely slightly less difficulter?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017