back to article 'All-screen display'? But surely every display is all-screen... or is a screen not a display?

Right. Right. Right. No, left. I said LEFT! Oh for the love of humanity, swipe left now! My eyes! Sorry, no, I mean "My EARS!" Is this what it's like to browse a dating site by voice command? I only ask because I hear that dating apps have been introducing Alexa skills and I am trying to work out why. Let's say you're …

Anonymous Coward

Re: Why do we need bezels ?

Reason #4:

So I can put the phone in an Otterbox so my five-year old doesn't destroy it.

Silver badge

"I mean stacking TV-size screens, not phone-size screens"

Ah yes, that makes much more sense. I think a good quality 42-43" unit can be had for less than 500 quid, so 86" TV for a bit over 2 grand would be nice, considering the largest screen I can se in a quick search is 82" and that's over 4 grand.

There would only be the requirement of being bezel-less on 2 edges. I still wonder if the fit could be made tight enough that it doesn't leave a cross showing at the joins?

Silver badge

I do not understand why it is not possible to remove bezels completely ?

I can see some attraction in the idea of a screen with no bezel ...

... but when it is a touch screen on a mobile device, I find myself wondering how the hell one picks the damn thing up without causing input.

Surely the bezel is there to give you somewhere safe to hold it?

Pint

My local Boston Pizza has about 8 - 12 large screens set up with annoying crosshairs due to the bezels.

Beer icon because its Friday & the bar manager at our local one looks after us very well.

Gold badge

"There would only be the requirement of being bezel-less on 2 edges."

For rectangular (rather than square) screens, you would need two different handed-nesses of screen to tile 4 of them together and if you are going to restrict yourself to foursomes then you might not reckon it was worth the bother.

Silver badge

"You could get a good quality 48" OLED TV"

Really? I thought they were all "Smart" these days and that surely disqualifies them from being thought good quality.

Silver badge

XKCD

I'm sure he has these ready for every hyperbolic Apple release -

https://xkcd.com/1889/

Screen larger than phone kindof nails it.

Silver badge

Re: XKCD

Actually, a screen larger than the phone is what Samsung is promising us next year. Seriously, no joke.

We know that OLED panels can be made flexible, so Sammy is touting some concepts based around that. One is a phone that opens like a book, another is a screen that unfurls like a scroll. What we don't know - and what I assume Samsung is busy finding out - are factors such as minimum bend radii, fatigue and other mechanical considerations.

Anyhows, a fancy feature is one thing (and the Galaxy range used to be associated with throwing everything in whether it was useful or not), but providing real utility is often a game of integrating said feature carefully.

Bronze badge

What I want is a practical on-phone projector. Or just skip straight to the holographic display.

Silver badge

A pseudo holographic display (some kind of light field tech - think the display equivalent to a Lytro camera) is coming on the Red Hydrogen phone. That's Red who make digital movie cameras, an outfit that initially garnered some sceptism since it was founded by the bloke behind Oakley sunglasses.

Saw a demo of a on phone projector in ...2011. The test device was a fully functional phone with a projector inside. Not much larger than mobile phone now (i.e. h/w/d all equiv to a five inch screen phone today)

You could drive it via the display or shine it at the wall. Next phase was putting a camera next to the beamer to watch for gesture controls. Not done in proto because..how do you stop someone else waving their hands in the image and texting your boss/mother in law/etc..!?

Still waiting for it to reach the market..

Bronze badge

We know that OLED panels can be made flexible, so Sammy is touting some concepts based around that. One is a phone that opens like a book, another is a screen that unfurls like a scroll.

You mean kinda like this one? https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCciYwyVwAAXCBV.jpg

Bronze badge

No-screen display

A projector is an example of a display that does not have a screen built in.

Silver badge

Not all display? Heresy!

Dabbsy that was the first thing that went through my mind - that it's not actually all display, or even anywhere close. However I have talked to many people since then and since none of them have mentioned it I assumed that I was just being pedantically literal.

Thanks for restoring my faith :)

Silver badge

Re: Not all display? Heresy!

That and "Unlimited Broadband". I think they all drink the "new speak", and I'm glad I'm not part of it!

Silver badge
Happy

I wondered what Apple meant.

I'm still baffled by the all screen display, or is it an all display screen?

Thanks, Dabbsy.

The latest XKCD phone has some nice features. I'll stick with my Sony Ericsson Xperia Z1 and it's quite ordinary display screen. Thought it had a bezel a little too small at the sides. So I don't have Icons at the edge of the screen.

Silver badge

Re: it's quite ordinary display screen

Of course Edit expired and it's its.

Silver badge

Re: I wondered what Apple meant.

Also, Sony and Ericsson parted ways in 2012. I'm sure if your Edit worked you would have corrected that - unless you believe Sony buying Ericsson out is part of this 'revisionist history' you accuse people of when you don't agree with them.

Silver badge

Re: Sony and Ericsson parted ways in 2012

It's an old phone and still goes fine.

Honest, it says Sony Ericsson on the front and Xperia on the back. It's a Z1, but I do see the Z1 on wikipedia only says Sony on the front. Maybe for Ireland / UK markets they were slow to change the branding.

I think mine is just a little younger than my iPhone 4s. Both got S/H. €50 for the Sony and free for the iPhone 4s.

Silver badge

Re: Sony and Ericsson parted ways in 2012

I do take you word for it and thank you for your clarification of Sony's confusion (I had a 2012 Xperia L with no SE branding anywhere except for a green circle on the rear... evidence of the transition period).

Silver badge

I would not, could not, on a train. I could not, would not, in the rain.

Ah, Dr Seuss, welcome...

"I would not, could not, on a train. I could not, would not, in the rain."

Ah, but in the end the green eggs and ham were eaten and enjoyed!

I see an iPhone XI in Dabbsy's future!

Silver badge

"I see an iPhone XI in Dabbsy's future!"

Yeahbut! Is that Kye, Tchee, Shee, Eleven or Ecks Eye?

Silver badge

"The eye phone ex, for those ignorant of Roman numerals, is pronounced one phone ten... ....We've been talking about the new iPhone, but in the interests of commercial balance we are compelled to mention that Androids are still crap"

- The News Quiz, BBC Radio 4

Joke

Boundless horizons

What I think Apple actually means is that the screen goes right up to the edge of the image and beyond!

In that way all of the displayed image is displayed by pixels and not by a blank space.

It's all terribly clever and not inexpensive at all.

Silver badge

"Hmm. Personality, looks, intelligence… all these things are secondary to good old proximity, yes?"

You jest, but they actually kinda are - as the years pass by, once the siege of hormones subsides with age and one sinks into routine half-accepting there might not be anybody in the cards for him/her, proximity may indeed start to factor in prominently; unless one is a well-off freelancer not only willing but also able to relocate arbitrarily at the drop of a hat, "it's going to be someone nearby or nobody at all" slowly gains a more or less factual status and "personality, looks, intelligence" more or less gets replaced by "is willing to put up with my clearly brilliant but, uh, possibly imperfect nature" which is not a quality one can gauge from a profile... Anyway, the all-display screen is indeed moronic.

Anonymous Coward

Unless the other person is willing to relocate to be with you. That could be down to your magnetic personality, endowments - or an accumulation of material assets.***

***my cohort friends ask when am I going to get rid of all my junk. The neighbours' kids go wide-eyed and want to know when they will be able to have so many things.

Anonymous Coward

I'm afraid my standards have dropped all the way down to "breathing".... and still hasn't found me anybody.

Anonymous Coward

"I'm afraid my standards have dropped all the way down to "breathing"."

Hmm - possibly that's still being picky. :-)

Joke

How do you milk sheep?

Bring out a new iPhone and charge a grand for it.

Bronze badge

Re: How do you milk sheep?

Maybe they should call it the Roquefort phone .....

Silver badge
Headmaster

or is a screen not a display?

There's a screen, about 14 by 6.5 linguine, roughly 8 linguine from the end of my bed, but what it's displaying is just the hallway on the other side. And the occasional flying irritant trying to get past it.

So, no.

Anonymous Coward

To those that want their device made entirely of glass

Try dropping it on the corner from about 10 inches off the desk. that should be enough to kill it, or at least give it a custom sparkling pattern unique to your device.

If the screen goes right to the edge all round, what holds it up? surely its then wider screenside than behind - and moreover has no space for front facing privacy busting camera, backlights, connections etc.

Its a bloody phone, not a glass sided carriage clock where you can hypnotise yourself watching the mechanism work.

That's it - I need a good walk round the corner to a pub.

Silver badge

Saying it with music

here

Silver badge

The best way to stun people with iPhones is still to hit them over the head with one.

Silver badge

allthecoolshortnames, Or one of these http://www.damngeeky.com/2013/04/15/10517/weaponize-your-iphone-with-these-cases.html

Bronze badge

That's more likely to result in a broken iPhone.

Anonymous Coward

That's more likely to result in a broken iPhone

.. which some of the crowd here seem to consider a win-win scenario :).

I'm not jumping at this - I don't buy newly released hardware on principle. I'll give it 6 months, and then I'll decide if it's going to be an X or an 8. So far, it may end up being a second hand 7 instead..

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

Pike?

Surely not Esox lucius?

She's the only thing fishy here.

Facepalm

Like, d'uh!

Apple is correct - The iPhone X is all screen. It's just Apple - caring about aesthetics and value - chooses to always ensure that the pixels around the edge are always black. They call this special zone a 'Bezel' in honour of Sir Jony B. Ive's middle name, Bêžèl.

A later version of iOS will unlock these extra pixels, including the ones on the back of the case too, it's just that Apple feels we're not ready for it, and the Evernote app developers were concerned that too much frog green on a single screen would cause children to vomit.

Silver badge

Re: Like, d'uh!

Sir Jony B. Ive? I bet that gives him a buzz!

Silver badge

A long time ago....

I used to teach English to furriners, and 'family' was one of the words we discussed, and I explained that it meant 'one or more parent plus one or more children (of that parent)'. Anything less than that and it wasn't a family.

Silver badge

Re: A long time ago....

It's pronounced "nukular family"

Must tell Sister Sledge that they are NOT family.

Bronze badge

i checked on wikipedia..

" kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus and species."

we are all family.

Silver badge

'one or more parent plus one or more children (of that parent)'

So if SWMBO & I take our grand-kids somewhere we're not a family?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018