back to article Scottish pensioners rage at Virgin cabinet blocking their view

Scottish pensioners are up in arms that Virgin Media has had the audacity to build a huge cabinet outside their homes in East Renfrewshire, near Glasgow, which is reported to be blocking their light. The OAPs have been fighting Virgin Media since the 5ft boxes were installed in their street in January, according to the Daily …

MJI
Silver badge

I am going to have to look at that one

I wonder if they want me to pull it away

Re: BT + Virgin = Twats

@ Look at this gem of an installation..

Bet they still can't get FTTP

Silver badge

Looking at the very young age of the houses and the new wall, plus the atypically large space left one suspects that BT has installed first, and then the builder built the wall and house behind it. You've even got to wonder if BT has actually moved that left cabinet over by a foot or two as well judged by the brand new pavement that's already got a hole been dug in it.

I mean, Openreach is bad. But that has to be a set of builders. Even Openreach isin't *THAT* bad.

Silver badge

I'm wondering if it represents a health hazard to residents if there were a fire (in the building, not the cabinet :P )

Anonymous Coward

Well, still. I couldn't believe how large these things are. I'm with the residents on this one.

Silver badge

"Well, how would that help? Look at this gem of an installation in Droitwich, courtesy of the idiots of Openreach."

And not forgetting, of course, this well placed bus shelter, so those people morons don't limit themselves to comms.

Oh Crap!

Daily Mail link in a Reg article. 161m long page filled with celebrity tits and arses. No thanks.

Silver badge

Re: Oh Crap!

Many thanks. I have to say that I would not be very happy if someone stuck one of those things in front of my house and that would have bugger all to do with light. Seriously my mental health would suffer if I had to wake up every morning to that outside my front window.

'strewth, that big, i can see why they're angry

seems absurd to put cabinets that big on the street, surprised they haven't been accidentally flattened

Silver badge

To be fair, it was a bloody ugly building to start with.

Silver badge

"seems absurd to put cabinets that big on the street, surprised they haven't been accidentally flattened"

The planning exemptions were probably put in place when the average street box was no more than about 3' tall and maybe 1' deep. No one thought to put restrictions on what was covered by the exemptions, like a maximum size.

Bronze badge

"and we now have no outlook at all."

Maybe thunderbird would work better on a Virgin connection....

Buckfast or MD 20/20

Thumb Up

made me laugh

Silver badge
Pint

Re: "and we now have no outlook at all."

My colleagues can't figure out why I'm sat here chuckling.

Silver badge

"Maybe thunderbird would work better on a Virgin connection..."
Might need to ask Lady Penelope about that...

It's the incessant noise that i don't like

But i did marry her.

Silver badge

What is the matter...

...with all you people making light of this? The pictures say it all - this is an absolute blight on these people's lives, and it's a total disgrace that Virgin have been allowed to do it. Disgusting behaviour yet again from a corporation and from the council that's supposed to be looking after the interests of its citizens.

Silver badge

Re: What is the matter...

The council unfortunately can do bugger all about it thanks to central government allowing Virgin, Openreach et all to bypass planning regulations.

Humm. I'm sure DNA had something to say about bypasses.

Anonymous Coward

What is the matter...

...with all you people making light of this?

It's called having a sense of humour. Getting angry with stupidity gets you nowhere and is bad for you. Laughing is also cheaper than anti-depressants.

Silver badge

I have a sense of humour. This isn't funny.

Silver badge

I'd normally jump in and denigrate the old biddies since they have a habit of blocking my drive in their overwhelming urge to park 3 feet closer to the church nearby and infesting M&S at lunchtime like a middle-class Dawn of the Dead...

But that would piss me off as well. Ok it was hardly a view of Loch Lomond but it wouldn't be nice for anyone to have a feckin shipping container dumped within 4m of their house which is what this looks like.

Childcatcher

The BBC Article has pictures. If this was my home I'd be a bit upset too.

Bloody hell, they do have a point.

If i lived there I would be looking at it as an accident waiting to happen, and I wouldn't be waiting too long either.

Silver badge

It's funny

how a company called Virgin manages to fuck things up so frequently.

Silver badge

Since this blocks their view

Are they raging against the dying of the light?

Re: Since this blocks their view

The best-laid schemes o' Virgin gang aft agley,

An'lea'e us nought but grief an' pain, for promis'd Lightnin'!

Silver badge

Re: Since this blocks their view

If it's best-laid, surely it's no longer virgin?

Silver badge

NIMBY

I was all ready to scorn these old gits and then I looked at the picture. Good Grief, what in the name of your least favourite deity was Virgin thinking?

Silver badge

Re: NIMBY

"what in the name of your least favourite deity was Virgin thinking?"

There's a built-in assumption in that question. It may be wrong.

Anonymous Coward

Re: NIMBY

"what in the name of your least favourite deity was Virgin thinking?"

There's a built-in assumption in that question. It may be wrong.

Beautiful :)

Silver badge

Silly really...

Cost of admitting 'whoops, we screwed up, sorry' and moving the box - £10K or so?

Value of bad publicity after saying "Get stuffed wrinklies, we did everything within the rules" - Priceless.

How are these people still in business if they're so dim?

Re: Silly really...

Simple. The people who buy from them are even dimmer still... It's the 'talk talk' effect - no matter what you do to your existing customer base if you sell your product cheaply enough then muppets will always buy it.

Interestingly enough the average life expectancy in Renfrewshire is 82.8 years so this problem would appear to be somewhat self-limiting, I'd tell her to give it a year and see what happens.

Silver badge
Mushroom

Quote:

no matter what you do to your existing customer base if you sell your product cheaply enough then muppets will always buy it.

OI Some of us have'nt got any choice when it comes to decent internet speeds... No way I'm going back to a BT openretch supplied murdoch offering... Yay you can have any speed you like, and indeed we'll sell you any speed you like , but dont complain if you only get 50K between 6pm and 11pm

Silver badge

"How are these people still in business if they're so dim?"

They are part of the Liberty Global plc empire.

Its cable services pass 55.8 million homes, with 28.6 million customers or 59 million RGUs (video, internet, and voice subscribers)

Or in this case, pass slap bang in front of some of those 55.8 million homes.

P.S. RGU = Revenue Generating Unit, which is the phrase they use internally instead of that old fashioned word "customer".

Yours sincerely,

an ex-Revenue Generating Unit

Anonymous Coward

Interestingly enough the average life expectancy in Renfrewshire is 82.8 years so this problem would appear to be somewhat self-limiting, I'd tell her to give it a year and see what happens.

I don't think the next inhabitant will accept this either..

Anonymous Coward

Why don't they just sit at an angle?

Problem solved.

Silver badge
Trollface

Procedures are everything

""In the case of the cabinets in Lowndes Court, the council was notified prior to Virgin Media installing the cabinets and the correct procedures were followed.""

And now all we have to do is wait a bit and the problem will go away by itself . . .

Thumb Down

"It completely blocks out any light from coming into the house"

It's five feet high. Surely the sun gets higher in the Scottish sky.

Virgin are a monopoly provider, they should not be allowed to do this

BT, I can see... but virgin? Come ON

Anonymous Coward

I suspect the real reasons for the complaint

are that the unsightly street furniture has lowered the value of their property relative to the other houses in the street and when they discovered that virgin are able to just lob what they want where they want without regard to house owners or planning permission.

Given cable companies historically low regard for the property rights of house owners, I can understand their issue.

Normal planning permission test is if the new build cannot be seen from neighbors windows and to be fair it does block their view

Silver badge

Re: I suspect the real reasons for the complaint

"Given cable companies historically low regard for the property rights of house owners, I can understand their issue."

The mess that subcontractors made of the beautiful York stone pavements in the village I lived in 20 years ago are a lasting testament to that.

Silver badge
Unhappy

they don't need planning permission to put them up

Bitter experience says they won't get very far with the planning permission route.

A relative once tried to get a neighbour's extension vetoed on the grounds of it blocking out their living room light and got precisely nowhere.

The planning permission laws are very much in favour of property developers, to the detriment of existing residents.

BTOPenreach can also be guilty of these stoaters

my sister inlaw moved into a lovely new house about 6 months ago, entire street completed then BT came in to fit FTTC cabs in the street, they planted it halfway across her neighbours drive......BTW then spent the last 4 weeks moving it across the road! :P

a speshal breed.

Silver badge

I wonder how long the flats have been there and whether Scottish law has anything equivalent to Ancient Lights.

Anonymous Coward

Based on previous Reg stories I suggest scattering acorns on top of the box every morning.

Also ,try planting eucalyptus or similar as close to the box as possible while staying within your garden.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Ugly boxes indeed and why that massive, but was this story really wordy of us ElReg readers, Scotland or not.

Silver badge
Trollface

"was this story really wordy "
Not particularly wordy; less than 300 words...

Silver badge
Happy

Hello Pompous Git, have an up vote for helping all those confused Brits I manged to fool, and for not mention anything about spell checkers.

All well down there I hope, up here it's getting cold wet and dark too early. I wish I could join all those noisy birds shouting at each other about how to travel south in style. And why not for the birds too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017