back to article SanDisk's little microSD card sucks up 400GB

WDC has the highest-capacity microSDXC card at 400GB – pumping up mobile device storage space – and has launched a natty little iPhone charger that backs up the phone’s data. The SanDisk Ultra Plus microSDXC UHS-I card comes in a range of capacities, from 16GB through 32, 64, 128, 200, and 256 to 400GB. The read speed is up to …

Now, can we please ...

have a proper general purpose operating system on our phones, to go with all that lovely memory.

Or, are we just going to fill it with selfies and cat videos?

Silver badge

Re: Now, can we please ...

have a proper general purpose operating system on our phones, to go with all that lovely

memory.

AOSP is pretty darned close. Finding hardware that isn't kneecapped and locked down so that you can *run* that OS is really the problem.

Re: Now, can we please ...

"...cat videos?"

With 400gb I be looking for something bigger - lion videos?

honest question

what are the useful applications for a 400GB micro SD card?

I'm not saying i'm not impressed, (if a little freaked out), I just can't think of what it would be genuinely good for, over say a 128GB card.

GoPro? Surely you'd be backing up / using that footage long before you hit 400GB (or is UHD footage much larger than i think?)

Music in a smartphone? really?

Media store in a media server / rPi? maybe.

Silver badge

Re: honest question

Traveling.

Kiwix Wikipedia articles: 60 GB

OsmAnd+ maps: 13 GB

Music: 20+ GB

Classic movies for the flight: 20+ GB

Itinerary and tourism maps : 1 GB

IMAP mail cache: 0.6 GB

Google Translate files: 0.5 GB

+ Backup of photos taken with DSLR

+ Backups of videos taken with high-end digicam

With 400 GB I think I can get some star and planetary maps in there too. I wonder if I can order it with a towel.

Re: honest question

I have a couple of 200 GB cards in a FiiO 5 music player. Not large enough for my excessively big mainly music collection. Unfortunately the number of tracks broke the FiiO's ability to index them, leaving just navigation which is s l o w, so I won't be splashing out on 400 GB cards.

1st PCs

My first ones were all bought by my employer (I was very persuasive), as I couldn't afford anything at the time.

Don't know the make of the first one but it was huge, had two 8" floppy drives and no hard disk. I think the screen was from Israel.

Company mainframe at the time was ICL with cat's cradle of metal rings for memory.

Second was a Torch micro, built in Cambridge, based on BBC micro ... 20MB hard drive.

Ah, the joy's of non MS operating systems and applications!

Happy days!

aqk
Linux

Will it work on a Raspberry?

I'm too lazy to look up the specs, but will my Raspberry Pi and its Rasbian support one of these drives?

It's time I upgraded the 32 GB file & web server on it. And needless to say, it also contains my bitcoin and ether wallets!

Silver badge

How soon?

How soon before we will be using these things for RFID's on tins of baked beans where the DNA of each individual bean in the can, plus the tomato sauce is recorded on the chip?

Is there a particular reason they've not followed the standard of 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 etc and plumped for something in the middle ?

400gb is an awful lot of space to fill on a mobile device - just how much tentacle pr0n do people need?

Anonymous Coward

400 Fapobytes

Bit pricey but worth it.

You could literally write an entire library on a handful of these and then send them on the next NASA probe out of the Solar System as a high tech version of the Pioneer 10 plaque.

Not sure on the radiation resistance but 3D-NAND is quite good now. In order to get this much storage the

chip has been rigorously tested and low-reliability units weeded out during production.

I did my own experiments with 32GB cards a while back and its quite hard to muck them up: the radiation dose needed is in the Rads and only had an effect due to the DAC32 / 5642 series tube.

My scintillator screen lit up like a neon sign (yes used lead and lots of it!) and to affect the card required putting it on the tube at the point of maximum X-ray intensity and it also scrambled equipment nearby even with the shielding so not doing this experiment again for a long time.

Incidentally it looks like most commercial scanners intentionally screen out low and intemediate energy rays to prevent image fogging so unless you fly North Korean air there is no need to worry.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018