back to article Microsoft's fix for web graphics going AWOL? Disable your antivirus

If Internet Explorer 11 users exist, they may have noticed missing graphics in web apps. Now Microsoft has some free, helpful advice that might restore them: disable your antivirus. Microsoft's Browser Support team noted today that there are three special scenarios where Internet Explorer 11 web graphics elements are missing …

Page:

1. Mystic Megabyte Silver badge
    WTF?

good old MS

A few days ago I received a local newsletter in pdf format. I could read it (Evince) but wondered what daft font they had used. The pdf crashed Libre Office so I used some pdftools to get some info. It seemed to be created in Microsoft Publisher which I have not seen for years. pdffonts revealed that the 16 page newsletter contained 51 embedded fonts!

2. Nimby
    Mushroom

Microsoft: Improving IT security since...

never.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who still uses Microsoft's crappy browsers in 2017? Including Edge.

Brave, Vivaldi, Chrome (or a variant), Firefox (or a variant), Opera, Yandex, Safari.

So many better options in 2017. Stop depriving yourself of a decent web browsing experience.

1. Shadow Systems Silver badge

Re: Who still uses Microsoft's crappy browsers in 2017? Including Edge.

Thank you for not bothering to read the comments of all those that came before you.

4. Stevie Silver badge

Bah!

This advice mirrors that I got from a GW drone when I called Glen Burnie to have another 200 Praetorian Guard cast up (there was a rumour in the commuunity some years ago that it was while casting one of my special orders that certain PG moulds were ruined, but I don't believe it).

The GWD said they didn't do special orders any more. I was so taken aback by the news I was momentarily rendered stupid and I asked what was I supposed to do now. The GWD said "use eBay".

The irony here is that for two decades and more, GW's official line was that all eBay sales were illegal recasts*.

I told him that I was quite capable of manufacturing my own moulds and casting my own GW-revenue-free minis now I had official GW permission to do so and hung up.

So "Always use anti-virus software except when you shouldn't" is the new Microsoft Law of Safe Downloading I guess.

* I was once lucky enough to be lectured on the subject by a foetus in a GW shirt while attending a Grand Tournament in Baltimore, who supercilliously announced that you could tell counterfeits by the cast-in backpacks. "All official GW marine minis have separate backpacks" he proclaimed. I told him that before he said such things again he should check the catalog archives because GW had quite a few offerings from the time he was just a glint in the milkman's eye that contravened his Law of Minis, and collectors might take a dim view of his implied accusations of forgery and the subsequent devaluing of their collections.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019