back to article How to build your own DIY makeshift levitation machine at home

Engineers at the University of Bristol in the UK have published a rough guide to building a simple levitation chamber that uses sound waves to suspend objects. Performing levitation experiments requires careful laboratory equipment and conditions. But a paper published in the Review of Scientific Instruments this month shows …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Instructable

"A neighbor takes his chain off his saw and runs it."

Thanks for the pointer to the fog devices. Definitely on my list of acquisitions for this year. Middle of September is the point when I start putting the ideas together.

Found a kid's toy replica of a proper branded chainsaw. Has a "chain" that rotates and audio to match. The sound is supplemented by a recording of a real chainsaw. Everything is controlled by a laptop and various sensors. All I have to do is appear with the treats at the appropriate point.

This is the 2016 Halloween display. The skeleton is holding a rat skeleton with added red LED eyes.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

They create what looks like a drop of water hitting the surface, but it's static, and the fog bubbles up from underneath.

Umm, just a heads up - splashes above the transducer can go as high as 30cm. This is why the "fog trays" you buy have a little cap or a plate just where those emerge (about 1cm above the water, otherwise the agitated water that gives you the cold vapour never reaches the surface in the first place. You also need to make sure that the fat resistor that tends to stick out from the housing remains submerged as it needs cooling, and NEVER run these things dry because you'll chip the connective coating on the piezo.

I'll run one of them at 12 v to chase off the dog, but it doesn't seem to bother them if it's submerged.

If it's underwater, very little sound emerges. If it's above water you may be busy accidentally mistreating your pets.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

and "dry ice" can build up dangerous concentrations of CO2 in enclosed spaces.

As well as irritating the hell out of contact lens wearers[1] since it'll dry their lenses out a treat and cause them to adhere nicely to the front of the eye..

[1] ie - me.

1. asier.marzo

Links

Hi, if anyone wants the instructions or parts list.

Instructables: http://www.acousticlevitator.com

Paper: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4989995

Video: https://youtu.be/yVDWrWpaBho

2. David 18

Hoverboards?

So how long until this is scaled up to make my frikkin' hoverboard I've been waiting for since 1985!

1. Jonathan 27

Re: Hoverboards?

You want a hoverboard that will only work if placed inside a levitation chamber?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE. Re. Hoverboards

Irony: this actually might work.

My idea uses three of these, but until the patent application is complete not saying any more.

Does however not require a special surface as such, will levitate up to 1.3 metres up as the field generator needs proximity of a surface to stay level due to no absolute reference frame.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon