back to article Guess who's hiking their prices again? Come on, it's as easy as 123 Reg

Domain and hosting biz 123 Reg will hike its prices 20 per cent later this year. One customer got in touch to confirm he had received an advanced renewal notification from 123 Reg, which quoted the two-year renewal price of a .co.uk domain as being £19.98 plus VAT. "I contacted 123 Reg support to query this as the ' …

I'm leaving them for good

I only have one domain remaining with 123-Reg and they want £24 for a .co.uk for two years. Notification just came through this morning.

By the way, if anyone has been conned into paying for domain privacy for UK domains, you should claim your money back. Nominet's Legal Counsel has informed me that providing a free opt-out for individuals on the WHOIS database is a key requirement of their fair data processing. Twat's like 123-Reg have opted to bury the free opt-out in favour of their fee paying one - unfair in my opinion.

If anyone wants to take action then I'm happy to give you a copy of Nominet's response: www.mindmydata.co.uk

Stop

They know their time is up

Over the last year, I've been transferring my domains away as they come up for renewal (to Gandi, FYI)

Recently, the option to generate an auth code for the transfer has been greyed out on their customer portal, meaning I have had to raise a support ticket for each domain.

I'd venture that they're trying to stop people from moving away, but as far as I'm concerned it's not working very well!

123 are indeed a bunch of cowboys. I've been billed for domains that I've let expire - sometimes two or three years after their expiry, I've been billed for whois protection for domains not owned by me, and their control panel ... just don't get me started.

For an IT company in this day and age, they are fucking useless at pretty much everything they do and their prices are frankly laughable.

A question for you all

Been thinking about changing for a while as their C panel is a pain to use but I have question, does anyone know if there is a hosting company out there that offers:

A) Two factor Authentication

and

B) Source control?

I don't see why I can't source control changes to DNS, 2 of our Domains are always getting tweaked and I would really like to track the changes better.

Re: A question for you all

If you just want to keep track of your DNS, Dyn do a) and sort of b).

It's not git-like, but you do have a zone file change history in there.

FAIL

Why must prices always hike now and not Rise?

Silver badge
Unhappy

Because hiking is more stressful for the customer victim

Prices don't hike. Company owners hike prices. As a result, prices are hiked by them.

Google Domains

Amazon Rout 52

Even GoDaddy hit a piece of moral high ground the other day when they finally dumped that Alt-Right outfit.

I used to keep some of my domains with Supanames. The price was right and the service decent. They were bought by 123-Reg and it was downhill from there. The reliability was awful with more outages every month that I previously had in a year and terrible customer support who didn't even do me the courtesy of reading the tickets before sending me non-applicable canned responses.

I moved my 123 domain hosting to Gandi.net and the services I host myself to Bitfolk.com. All is well with the world again. I whole-heartedly recommend them to you. I have no connection with Gandi or Bitfolk other than being a satisfied customer.

I regret to say...

I've had the misfortune to work with several alternatives to 123reg and so far not found better - which isn't to praise them, numerous cockups and I've got a long list of gripes. There are usable (and certainly cheaper) alternatives for simple registration but most of the time I can rely on their CP for most of the things I need to do, usually fast and effective.

I'll take a look at any alternatives that crop up here but tried some of those in the past and, sadly, reverted to 123.

I suppose one could pay for some future renewals in advance before the price increase comes into effect.

As for bare UK names as I guess all anyone will do is redirect to the corresponding .co.uk, might as well use a cheap minimalist registrar. Business opportunity there...

Hosting elsewhere ?

Thanks for the recommendations of where to move our domains to, but does anyone know of a registrar who can host .name domains and offer a catch-all email (anything@john.smith.name) ?

I had a look last time when 123 put their prices up, but couldn't find one....

Purely Domains anyone?

I've had various hosting packages with PipeTen over the years and always been happy with their service, so I have taken the plunge and begun transfer of one of my .co.uk domains to their Purely Domains outfit to see how it goes. £5 / year plus VAT with them.

I also note that 7.99 to 9.99 is a 25 percent increase - not a 20 per cent hike!

Anonymous Coward

No other security software?

Is this just another moneymaking scheme from 123reg?

After performing a comprehensive analysis of XXXXXX, we can confirm that your website is at high risk of vulnerabilities or compromise. When a website indicates a high risk score, vulnerabilities are 12 times more likely to be exploited than the average website, according to SiteLock data.

It is important that you act. For £0.99 per month, SiteLock ‘Find’ carries out a daily scan of your website.

Time to move away for me as well.

Yes I got caught unawares when the invoice for my domain renewal came in the email this morning. Searched and not found any warning email from 123 about the 20% price hike.

Moving mine over to Pixelinternet who I have been happy with for the last 5yrs and they host my website so they may as well have my few domains as well. Plus Pixelinternet give limited free email boxes with each domain so you can use your domain for email easily without buying web hosting. I used to get this with godaddy years ago but not any more.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018