back to article WannaCry-killer Marcus Hutchins denies Feds' malware claims

Marcus Hutchins, the WannaCry ransomware killer and now suspected malware developer, was told by a Las Vegas court on Friday he can be released on bail. He also denied any wrongdoing. The British citizen was sensationally arrested and taken into custody on Wednesday by the FBI. The agents swooped as he was about to board a …

Re: A question for some American lawyer

The deck is stacked against him, he can either plead guilty for a lesser sentence or go to trial. 95% of defendants going to trial are found guilty.

Silver badge

No. What will happen - best case - is that he'll be charged with overstaying his visa (because by then he'll have been in the USA, detained, for about two years), booted out and never allowed to visit again.

If he's *really*I lucky, they may not even press the bill for his jail accommodation.

Silver badge

that stat doesn't mean much. What were you expecting? 50% Typically, cases only go to court when they can be reasonably sure of getting the conviction. Waste of time and money otherwise.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

Re: Infernoz A question....

@ Matt Bryant

re " that was the most impressive troll snark EVER"

Who you talikin to? yours is the 10th reply to a post and due to the Regs rather limited threding I cant tell wether you replying to OP or to one of the replies. I did read and try to work it out from context , but inconclusively

Re: Infernoz A question....

Who you talikin to?

The clue is in the title: "Infernoz....."

Have a look back at the names of the ten or so posters you refer to.

Silver badge

A brief risk analysis of the general attitude being shown by the US Justice system has resulted in a "Nope, never going there" result.

A shame really, as there is still a lot about America, and Americans, that I like.

This is akin to treating a hornet's nest like a pinata. It can only end badly.

Bronze badge

It can only end badly.

Not if you have a powerful vacuum cleaner. Just a random idea since I used a vacuum cleaner to clean a very big hornets nest once. I didn't store the hornets (no bag) but they cannot fly with wings ripped off.

Anonymous Coward

Interesting analogy

USA as a Hornet Nest and traveling there - "treating it as a pinata".

Maybe not far off. Though in the case of a hornet's nest, just walking past it close enough can get you the same response if they are feeling particularly paranoiac today.

His mistake was traveling to the land of the free in the first place. Especially in the current climate. Even if he manages to walk free (quite difficult once the USA "justice system" has started piling up shite with a bulldozer up your driveway), it will cost him a gigantic sum of money.

Silver badge

Re: "His mistake was..."

Look up Russel's Teapot. The FBI's mistake is using brutal tactics on a fishing expedition. Way to go Goons.

Re: It can only end badly.

I've done that also, worked great. The Kirby blades stopped the buzzing too.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

Let's make a deal

Maybe the U.S. govt will swap him for Assange? Paris, because swapping.

Silver badge

Re: Let's make a deal

Maybe the U.S. govt will swap him for Assange?

Tricky, as technically Assange isn't in Britain.

Anonymous Coward

A hacker in the hand is worth an assange in two bushes.

Silver badge

Neatly put, but America deserves neither.

Open comment to anyone parroting the phrase "Special Relationship" - Shut the fuck up with your inane blithering and deal with life as it is. Compared to where I live, life in the US is nasty, brutish and short. Sure, I've just had a nice little holiday in the US, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Joke

'nasty, brutish and short.'

Oh, you've met the wife?

Silver badge
Thumb Up

"an assange in two bushes."

LOL, well played sir!

@ BongoJoe, Technically, Assange is in Britain. Embassies are not considered to be on the soil of their home countries. They don't even fall under extra-territality rules that many military stations fall under.

The only reason why UK hasn't gone and got Assanage is that they don't want to cause a diplomatic incident at the moment. That might not be the UK government few forever. Something is going to break one day for one reason and Assange might find him self arrested and in UK jail being extradited to the U.S.

Anonymous Coward

The only reason why UK hasn't gone and got Assanage is that they don't want to cause a diplomatic incident at the moment.

Technically true. However, the "diplomatic incident" you are refering to would amount to abrogation by the UK of the Vienna convention on diplomatic relations. The consequences of such action could only be described as catastrophic for the UK diplomacy, as it wojld justify a similar invasion of any and all UK missions abroad.

Silver badge

"The consequences of such action could only be described as catastrophic for the UK diplomacy"

I have not seen any evidence whatsoever that that would worry Boris Johnson for a moment. He does not strike me as having any concept of diplomacy whatsoever, unless nest-feathering is being diplomatic. On the other hand, keeping Assange in his present conditions and waiting for the embassy to kick him out acts as a warning to anybody else with the same ideas.

FSM

If someone else took his proof-of-concept code and used it to create malware, that makes him no more of a malware writer than anyone who's ever posted code on a blog, or in an answer on StackOverflow.

Bronze badge
Black Helicopters

that makes him no more of a malware writer than anyone who's ever posted code

10 Format C:

Bronze badge

≡Ö≡

Anonymous Coward

Re: that makes him no more of a malware writer than anyone who's ever posted code

I take it the creators of the leaked NSA exploits will be given similar treatment when their code is used by criminals.

Silver badge

Re: that makes him no more of a malware writer than anyone who's ever posted code

"I take it the creators of the leaked NSA exploits will be given similar treatment when their code is used by criminals."

Now there's a thought. His defence could well be that what he did in posting an example openly is comparable with the NSA's actions although without the malicious intent. And who better to be able to present that, in detail, as a defence? Do the NSA really want their actions to be questions like this in court? It strikes me that with the NSA leaning on the FBI to keep it out of court he has a far better bargaining position than most.

Anonymous Coward

I suspect he'd be killed by a deranged inmate if he goes down some of those roads. The US penal system is used to house many, many people who should rather be receiving treatment for addiction and mental health issues, but it's a real profit maker for the private prison owners; especially, when combined with inmates required to work externally for pennies an hour.

He is in real danger.

Bronze badge

Re: ☺

What does FSM stand for?

pasta monster

≡Ö≡

Bronze badge

Re: ☺

All hail His noodly appendages.

*FSM = Flying Spaghetti Monster

Silver badge

"If someone else took his proof-of-concept code and used it to create malware...." True, but the operative word there is if. It could be the prosecution have evidence of complicity, such as Hutchins saying on some "secure" coms tool "Hey, Sergei, lets make some cash with that rootkit code I wrote...."

Silver badge
Big Brother

Have they been reading Kafka?

"can have no contact with his unnamed accused co-conspirator"

Did they tell him who this accused co-conspirator is?

Silver badge

Re: Have they been reading Kafka?

Franz was wide-eyed optimist. 'The Trial' would be an improvement over the current injustice system we have.

America is mad!

Some parts of America! One can seriously get nicked for collecting rainwater! A democracy!? My bum it is!

Silver badge

Re: America is mad!

An objections to his bail was that he visited a firing range.

One could easily consider the whole of the country being a firing range, especially near any policeman.

Silver badge

The large number of US cops recently gunned down execution style (by people who think like you) would ask you politely to shut your hole, Bongo Joe.

Silver badge

At least unlike unarmed Australian ladies in their nightwear I still have the ability to shut my hole.

She now has a lot more holes and none of them could be shut in time.

Silver badge

There is too much emotion and not enough reason in your comment.

The Washington Post reports that, so far, 594 people have been shot and killed by police in 2017.

Everyone deplores the death of a police officer in the line of duty, everyone appreciates the bravery and grit of police officers, everyone deplores revenge killings of police officers. But we deplore the deaths of all innocent people and don't consider one killing justifies or 'explains', or mitigates another killing.

Too much brutality in the USA.

Dear Big John

You truly are a prick of the first order.

I'm British, so you can imagine how it must have felt for me to get really rather cross.

A few months ago on YouTube I saw a video of cop v. Black guy. The black guy was drunk out of his mind. He was being loud, aggressive, unarmed .... and very uncoordinated.

The cop was alone. They were one on one.

In the UK, the cop would have called for a few large people for backup. Maybe use a taser as a last resort. In the meantime, all he had to do was be like Ali and dance away out of reach.

What did the US cop do? Well, he shot and killed him, naturally.

America really is going to hell. I'm starting to think that the Chinese aren't so bad after all. Very friendly, Hong-Kong and Shangai are spectacular, and you won't get caught up in gun battles in the street.

I know the US has a huge number of intelligent, good and wonderful people. It's just a terrible shame that none of them seem to want to be involved in politics. Can't blame them really. And I don't mean Hillary would have been any better than The Donald. A plague on both their houses.

Don't mention the political system. Is the current US system much better?

It is a democracy, for corporations and the wealthy. Look to see who the laws benefit most and you have found your true demographic.

It amazes me we hold the US as the bastion of freedom and democracy.

Anonymous Coward

Re: It amazes me we hold the US as the bastion of freedom and democracy.

We don't, it all self dellusion

Anonymous Coward

Re: America is mad! not only them, UK too : average-briton commits 32 crimes a year

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/average-briton-commits-32-crimes-a-year-bt-tv-research-happy-birthday-restaurant-pub-drunk-a7859001.html

Silver badge

It amazes me we hold the US as the bastion of freedom and democracy.

Do we?

I'm reminded of the trouble I got into in Boston for crossing an empty road, where apparently I should not have crossed it.

Of all the countries I've visited, the USA is the one where I have felt the least freedom. I think they are deluded about being the land of freedom because many of them haven't experienced the other nations where life is closer to real freedom.

But on the whole, it's still a fantastic place for a couple of weeks visit.

Anonymous Coward

I'm British to, and I completely agree with you. You reminded me with your 3rd line of a piece attributed to one of our national treasures, John Cleese. Such a shame he didn't actually write it!

https://starrgazr.wordpress.com/2008/02/15/john-cleeses-letter-to-america/

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: werdsmith Re: America is mad! - A truly shocking FAIL

"....I'm reminded of the trouble I got into in Boston for crossing an empty road, where apparently I should not have crossed it....." Wow, so you think America is the most in-free country in the World because of the local jaywalking laws? So if an American claimed the same about your country because he got stopped for turning right on a red light, you'd support his viewpoint? I bet not! Seriously, you can't have travelled very far afield if that I the biggest inhibitor of freedom you have ever experienced was American jaywalking! Try <a href="https://www.cato.org/human-freedom-index>reading some actual expert opinion</a> (I chose a left-leaning example so you don't go into shock). Massive and embarrassing fail of both bias and complete inexperience of the World.

Silver badge

Re: werdsmith America is mad! - A truly shocking FAIL

"Try <a href="https://www.cato.org/human-freedom-index>reading some actual expert opinion</a>"

In which report the US appears 23rd in the table, just above Latvia and below Estonia. Wow, way to not make a point :)

I'm pretty sure that the feeling of freedom (or lack of it) from the poster referring to the jaywalking was that in most places, crossing an empty road wouldn't have been prosecuted (unless it was a motorway, and even then a ticking off would suffice).

It may be media bias, but I don't have the impression that the US Police use a lot of discretion, they act more like the biggest gang on the block and then they are vilified for it. Hardly surprising is it?

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: Sir Runcible Spoon Re: werdsmith America is mad! - A truly shocking FAIL

".....In which report the US appears 23rd in the table...." I never said the US nor the report were perfect (for example, I have some Chinese friends that left Hong Kong, rated number 1 in the report, to live in the US, because they felt oppressed in HK). I did state I was using a Left-leaning source so as not to cause too much ideological shock to some of the posters. But the baaaaaahlief held so earnestly by said posters - that the US must be the World's worst offender when it comes to curbing freedoms - is shown up as false by even this report, as the US is not listed as coming 159th out of 159 countries. Indeed, it is a measure of the freedoms available in the US that you will find plenty of US-based and Left-leaning (and some ironically similar extreme Right) reports discussing the state of US freedoms, reports that would be suppressed in many other countries.

"....I'm pretty sure that the feeling of freedom (or lack of it) from the poster referring to the jaywalking was that in most places, crossing an empty road wouldn't have been prosecuted (unless it was a motorway, and even then a ticking off would suffice)....." It's simply an American traffic law, just as quirky and arguably outdated as European traffic laws not allowing a right turn on a red light (which is permitted in the majority of US states). Other developed countries have traffic laws you might find just as baffling - for example, in Australia, you can be committing an offence if you cross a road diagonally!

Silver badge
Flame

Congratulations, FBI

Well done, really. I understand that you're trying to make up for not arresting the 9/11 terrists the CIA knew about before that fateful day, but this really takes the cake. I'm sure DEF CON is not going to have any issue next year in getting well-known, competent whitehats to expose their work in the US. No, none at all.

And, of course, it is obvious that this guys' haircut is what tipped you off, right ? An understandable mistake. You can practically see the beard !

What I really want to know is this : what heavy trail of Internet forensics did you gather up to justify this arrest ? How many phone records and Internet activity logs did you get from the NSA ? How many man-hours of FBI Internet sleuthing did you go through before getting to the decision that this was the guy to arrest ? And why is it that this obviously extensive investigation just happen to finish when DEF CON started ? How convenient that your suspect just happened to be on-hand !

Or could it be none of that ? You were just going through the list of DEF CON speakers and someone on the team vaguely remembered reading that name in a hacker list and hi ho, hi ho, off to arrest you go ?

The Internet is really complicated, FBI. There are good guys, bad guys, and plenty in-between, and all of them actually use keyboards ! I know, it's frightening. Maybe one day, when you're grown up, you'll understand. For now, you're just looking like a fool.

Silver badge

Re: Congratulations, FBI

"How many phone records and Internet activity logs did you get from the NSA ?"

NSA? They'll be shitting themselves with the thought that here's the very man to argue in court that if he goes to jail so should they.

Bronze badge
Boffin

Re: you're just looking like a fool.

More like a Fool Tool.

Bronze badge

It makes me wonder what the convict will be doing in his spare time. GPS cannot detect typing...

Silver badge

Whilst he might be innocent of the charges laid against him, breach of bail conditions is definitely a crime (no access to internet).

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018