back to article Trump's CNN tantrum could delay $85bn AT&T-Time Warner merger

The very public war of words – and GIFs – between the President of the United States and CNN could pose a threat to the $85bn merger between AT&T and Time Warner. Apparently, White House advisors have been looking at using approval of the merger as a "potential point of leverage" over the news network. While the two media …

Silver badge

Re: @Claptrap314

You haven't heard it called "Cable News Network?" That is their actual name.

Bronze badge

Re: @Claptrap314

I know them as the Crap News Network, but then, I'm not an American.

Bronze badge

Please clarify the original claim!

I read the whole article which appears to be a tantrum about Trump. Ok fine, he's an idiot. The article makes lots of different points. What it doesn't do is connect Trump's idiocy with why the merger would be delayed. Is AT&T considering pulling out? Will there be a conflict of interest that would allow Trump to influence the members of the merger and make them stop CNN from being mean to him and hurting his feelings?

I found the article entertaining and I certainly have no love for Trump, but...

What is the connection?

Re: Please clarify the original claim!

There isn't one. No "threat" has ever been made.

Trump cited Obama's policy of rejecting mergers that harm people on the campaign trail, prior to being elected, and said he would not approve this merger.

Anonymous Coward

Where to start, most US Conservatives seem to think everything that isn't Fox News has a left wing bias when in fact it's exactly the opposite, Fox News is so staggeringly right wing that it is spewing propaganda for the Republicans & Trump like there's no tomorrow.

Fox News used to claim it was 'Fair & balanced', now who's the hypocritical one? They also tried to claim that they weren't actually a news network as part of a lawsuit.

CNN never claimed/threatened to DOX anyone or blackmail anyone, they also haven't broken any law or been charged with any crime so what 'further criminal charges' are you inventing?

Wrong - it's pure blackmail accroding to US statutes

No; CNN threatened/pressured a US citizen with Doxing; that's a violation of his 1st Amendment rights. Leftist supporters always twist reality to suite their mind-warped view of truth.

Anonymous Coward

"Fox News used to claim it was 'Fair & balanced'"

I've just spat out my cornflakes. I can't believe the words "Fox News" could ever be used in a sentence with either "Fair" or "Balanced".

I need to go for a lie down.

Silver badge

You clearly have nothing to offer, good or bad, so please do.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Wrong - it's pure blackmail accroding to US statutes

Except in the real world, no they didn't.

Given that you're so convinced this is somehow covered under the 1st amendment, here it is, please explain how it's been violated in any shape or form:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Silver badge

Fox News.

Is that the one that can't say China, without putting the word Communist in front?

Except in the real world, no they didn't.

I presume you are referring to CNN threatening to dox the individual - correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know about what the amendments do or do not say but how do you explain:

"CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change."

(Ref: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/04/politics/kfile-reddit-user-trump-tweet/index.html)

"abridging the freedom of speech,"

Making a meme - is freedom of speech - you brain-dead cuck.

Yes!!! Exactly - that's a gun to his head.

If you start to create memes again - we will dox you!

That's a freaking gun to his head. That's blackmail. If the guy has balls - I'd create or link to another meme - and see if CNN carries out the treat.

Anonymous Coward

I can't work out if you're being deliberately dense or just can't read properly, the first word, just read the first word of Article 1.

Here it is -> Congress

As in:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech.......

The article applies to Congress not a private company, please try again you brain-dead Trumpet.

"The article applies to Congress not a private company, please try again you brain-dead Trumpet"

So Congress needs to be protected? Liberals are so ignorant and so freaking dumb. It's for you - you cuck; it's for us; it's for our protection! But if you love CNN so much - keep watching them and be like them.

THE REGISTER IS FAKE! ON THE SIDE OF CNN!

Reg you are scum!!! WHOEVER WROTE THIS IS SCUM!!! HOW DARE YOU DEFEND CNN!!!

Silver badge
Joke

Re: THE REGISTER IS FAKE! ON THE SIDE OF CNN!

@Dave You forgot the joke icon.

Signposting jokes is naff, though, not to mention I always found the joke icon a bit too "Colin Hunt" for my taste. (I think it's that "trying-way-hard-to-be-fun" (and oh-so-90s) typeface).

On the other hand, you can never be sure which side of Poe's law something is on otherwise...

Edit: ...aaaaand Poe's Law it was. I just looked through the guy's comment history and realise what I assumed *was* meant to be a joke was likely serious. :-O

Anonymous Coward

Dave you forgot to take your meds, again.

Silver badge

If this story is true

And if Trump's administration actually acted on it in any way (i.e. communicating to Time Warner that the merger will be denied unless CNN goes easier on Trump) rather than just talking about it internally as an option, it would be a violation of the law, and become a matter for Mueller's team to investigate.

that time of year

It's beginning to look a lot like...

media censorship

Re: that time of year

Media censorship -- yeah - too right. But the cucks here - the boot licking - cooperate slaves - think the Reg is right on the issue. Trolling should be protected - but the Reg seems to be saying - "oh - Trump was having a tantrum" - WTF!!!

Anonymous Coward

Re: that time of year

just pretend its Obama going after Fox News for the same reasons. then it'll be all okay.

Anonymous Coward

interesting

when Trump goes after a media outlet, the entire world screams "democracy is ending, the free press is under attack!"

yet they all seem to forget that under identical circumstances, but in press releases and interviews rather than Twitter, the former US President went after spintacular hit pieces and the network carrying them as well. Fellow travellers echoed this and supported "controls" that the then-President suggested.

Then it was "a good thing" now it's "the worst thing". From the same *individuals* and organizations who actively supported one and actively attack the other.

the only actual change is the Target and the Sh*tslinger's party alliance.

Silver badge
Meh

Forget Trump...

...anyone think this merger is going to be good for the consumers?

More fake news

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/business/economy/obama-corporate-monopoly.html?mcubz=0

Trump was opposed to it on monopoly grounds before the election even took place.

Obama used the same to block Anthem and Cigna, Aetna and Humana, and Sprint & T Mobile.

Here is the speech from Obama, endorsing Trump's plan to block the merger: http://www.antitrustinstitute.org/files/aai-%20Presidential%20campaign%20-%20Obama%209-07_092720071759.pdf

Silver badge
Trollface

Muh CNN!

Best commentary on the dumbass attack suffered by CNN actually on RT:

The Hunt for Reddit User: CNN proves it can do investigative journalism

RT is quite like El Reg: Between the sponsored content and lines fed by the ministry of goodthink, there is stuff one can agree with.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017