back to article European MPs push for right to repair rules

The European Parliament has recommended better consumer product protection, asking that durable products be durable and repairable by independent workshops. It's not a fait accompli for the right to repair: it's up to member states and the European Commission to put the recommendations into effect. At a plenary session in …

Anonymous Coward

Lead free solder

If you want us to repair your broken electronics can we have lead back in the solder? The electronics will last much longer too.

Coat

Re: Lead free solder

<Sigh> I do miss that first joint of the day, that heavy sweet aroma with a hint of singed fingers. The gentle hiss of the sponge and distinctive rattle of a Weller soldering iron being thrown the last inch back into the spring holder.

Must ...resist.... urge.....don't need to mooch through the junk bins at Hardings Electronics in Cheltenham. Sod it! I'm getting my coat

Silver badge

Re: Lead free solder

> <Sigh> I do miss that first joint of the day

What you mean you've totally reformed and not got a Weller in the workshop/garage/shed for all those DIY projects, that you could simply fire up...

Interestingly, coming to think of it, among the "for men" products, I've not seen a "hot Weller" aroma Airwick...

Childcatcher

I'm sure a little "lobbying" from the industries concerned will change the MEPs' minds, and they will declare anything repairable to be dangerous (in case children eat the batteries, or something like that; actually that one is a real risk but banning removable batteries isn't the right solution).

Why don't we have a "brown envelope" (or currency notes) icon?

Anonymous Coward

don't get me started.....

I wish that everything heavy or awkward to lift had proper handles....... elf and safety etc

washing machines (assuming they aren't on fire) are hard enough to move...

big screen TVs... - wot no handle(s)

yes I can fix a ten pence capacitor in a £300 washing machine, and save the difference, but it was designed to take way too long to disassemble, making it redundant landfill, meaning you normally have to buy a new one.....

miniature electronics, surface mount ICs etc, are one thing, limited charge cycle (only 1000x) batteries being sealed inside are a definite NO NO...

and

software writers not finishing the job :- eg MSOffice2013 lack of colour schemes; obviously the team thought they had a longer job adding that bit later, and got moved off the project.... so the choice is black or grey....

does anyone actually properly test and complete=finish software any longer..?

<end rant>

Silver badge

Re: don't get me started.....

I'm with you AC. So many retail products are utter shit.

Silver badge

A smartphone should be as fixable as a refrigerator

One with a sealed compressor unit?

Anonymous Coward

Re: A smartphone should be as fixable as a refrigerator

"One with a sealed compressor unit?"

You have a smartphone with a sealed compressor unit?

Silver badge

Re: A smartphone should be as fixable as a refrigerator

"You have a smartphone with a sealed compressor unit?"

I think so - can't tell for sure cause it's sealed.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017