back to article We'll drag Microsoft in front of Supremes over Irish email spat – DoJ

The US Department of Justice has formally asked the Supreme Court to hear its appeal in Microsoft's Ireland warrant legal row. Prosecutors want the country's top court to reconsider a 2016 ruling that government agents could not use a search warrant, granted in New York, to demand Microsoft hand over people's personal emails …

Silver badge
Big Brother

I'm no fan of Kim, but the U.S. really overstepped their authority.

Even worse was our own government who not only rolled over, but when it came out that the raid on Dotcom's residence was done in a criminal manner, they further rolled over and passed under urgency laws to make what the GCSB goons did legal

And sadly, I think we'll have our own Mayday later this year, with these scum voted in for another term.

MJI
Silver badge

Why not start a relocate?

To a civilised country.

Ireland seems nice and EU do like privacy.

I am sure it would be a nice upgrade from living in Trumpton.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Why not start a relocate?

Not as unlikely as you might think. Back when this case was first going to court I was in a meeting with MS UK about data protection which included some fairly major MS names. The subject of Irish emails was (inevitably, in the circumstances) raised and a pretty senior MS executive basically said they would fight it all the way to the Supreme Court, and if they lost that they would reincorporate MS elsewhere, with the US as a subsidiary, rather than lose European (and potentially Asian) markets.

So they definitely have contingency plans...

a pretty senior MS executive basically said they would fight it all the way to the Supreme Court, and if they lost that they would reincorporate MS elsewhere, with the US as a subsidiary, rather than lose European (and potentially Asian) markets.

I've heard similar things in meetings regarding what happens to UK companies after we leave the EU. "Follow the money" has never been more true. There's no nationalism when there's profit at stake.

Silver badge

"So they definitely have contingency plans."

Presumably the German arrangements are part of those.

One day the US might look back with regret on the days when it had a tech industry.

We need a definitive and blunt statement from the Irish government that if such data is released from their country without going through their proper procedures, prosecution will result. Then we get to see who blinks first. Of course Microsoft is screwed either way because one side or the other will drag them through a courtroom, although I guess the way they could do it is dump all the stuff to tape in the Irish facility and get the Garda to confiscate the box (having been told in advance) so they can then say to the US government that what they want is now in the hands of the Irish government.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018