back to article Dodge this: Fiat-Chrysler gets diesel-fuelled sueball from DoJ

Fiat-Chrysler, accused of the same kind of software defeat as landed Volkswagen in hot water, is now the subject of a Department of Justice lawsuit. The case, brought by the DoJ on behalf of America's Environmental Protection Agency, points to vehicles around 104,000 "light duty vehicles" using the company's three-litre …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"he VW group 1.4 TSI 150 is quite remarkably smooth, quiet, responsive, pulls strongly from very low revs and just keeps the torque going right round the rev counter"

I've driven a car with that engine. Can't say I found its performance anything special but I guess everything is relative. My current 3.0 would leave it for dead at any speed.

1. Spanker

It's also about nose weight. My Touran has the 150 TSi against the 2.0TDi it's over 100kg less sitting over the front wheels.

Even in a battle bus 0-60 8.9 and 132mph with 39mpg on DSG. I'm happy.

2. wolfie

NOx has nothing to do with the fuel

Why is it they are knocking on Diesels for NOx pollution.

NOx or Nitrogen Oxides none of which the chemical components come actually from the fuel. Both Diesels and Petrols produce NOx.

The main course that produces more NOx is lean burning engines, As lean burning engines naturally run hotter plus there is plenty of excess oxygen to combine with the Nitrogen from the air.

Diesels have been lean burners for well I don't ever recall a Diesel engine that has a fuel induction system outside the cylinder. Petrols have normally had the fuel induction within the inlet track be it injection or carbed, so had the control of the power of the engine was by restriction of the air-fuel mix into the engine which had very limited amount of free oxygen.

Direct Injection works differently by injecting directly in the champer right at the ignition point(spark plug or glow plug) the air intake can be unrestricted and less fuel is needed to be injected to cause the required amount. but due to there being less fuel to burn more oxygen is available and will combine with the Nitrogen causing the NOx

And before you start saying Diesels are at fault, later petrols including the postage stamp ford 3 cylinder are direct injection so will be producing a lot of NOx

And cutting a cylinder out does not actually save much, as try and divide 4 into 3 and have a nice balanced engine there may be a extra spinning shaft just to balance the engine otherwise it would destroy it's self. I have a v6 (Diesel) that has to have a balancing shaft to prevent this if it was a inline 6 there would be no need for that extra shaft but this was due to reduce manufacturing environmental cost. On a side note a 4 cylinder 1l will be far smother than 3 cylinder and use the same amount of fuel if the same tech is used to fuel it.

And what vehicles have had won the environmental awards? And before you starting thinking it's a electric car or a hybrid think again they do not come close!

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Re: NOx has nothing to do with the fuel

Lean burn isn't the problem. Lean burn gasoline engines have existed for decades. Initially, it was the second intake valve that creates a vortex of fuel under the spark plug. Later it was fuel injection timing tricks. The problem with Diesel engines is that their exhaust doesn't power a catalytic converter well. The exhaust isn't as hot and it's full of oils and soot that are slow to ignite.

Whether or not a diesel engine is learn burn or not depends on how much you're pushing the gas pedal. There's no air intake throttle.

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Test cuycles

The report says "during certain normal driving conditions than on federal emission tests, " which is a clear admission that they know the federal tests do not mimic real driving conditions. That makes the whole test model pointless, just like the EU one.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon