back to article Huawei Honor 8 Pro: Makes iPhone 7 Plus look a bit crap

Towards the end of his long career as an expert summariser on Test Match Special, Fred Trueman would declare: "I just don't know what's going on out there," and light his pipe. Just what you want to hear from an "expert summariser". But sometimes I sympathise. Like when a company suddenly makes lots of phones that compete with …

Silver badge

Re: And still shovelling Android

Strangled, as in a new OS coming to market but having no chance of getting market share.

As for installing anything I like on an iPhone. Yep, done that. A couple of useful apps, no malware.

On the other hand, strangling is what I've wanted to do to the Android shyte that I've owned.

Silver badge

Re: Middle Ground?

@stuart 22

Spot on comment.

I got my OnePlus One in Feb 2015 - so just over two years old, and it's fine. It cost £269 + shipping. That's a decent middle ground - remarkably high spec for under 300 quid. And I expect that to continue. I can't see me replacing it for a couple of years yet, and then I want the equivalent pretty high spec for £300-ish. With phones I expect the price point to stay stable over time as the spec goes up. Paying £500-£800 for a phone that lasts for a few years is sheer madness.

This post has been deleted by its author

Until early last week my Honor 7 ( unlock) was on Security Patch August 2016.

It has just been updated today to Security Patch April 2017. The software is still EMUI 4 ( the latest EMUI 5 ).

For comparison my Sony Xperia X Compact ( Unlock ) has been having regular monthly update now May 2017 Security Patch and several months ago upgraded to Android 7 (Nougat ).

My wife's Blackberry Dtek60 also has regular monthly security patch , now on May 2017 but the Android software is still Android 6 (Marshmellow).

Silver badge

Updates aren't really that relevant, though. For starters, most higher-end Droids do get prompt updates throughout the phone's lifespan now; my S6 still receives updates within a week or two of Google releasing them. And for seconds, most people who consume flagship models don't actually notice either way anyway; they have the most expensive handset they can find for prestige purposes rather than because of the specs or the security. They almost certainly couldn't tell you the difference between iOS's approach to FDE and Android 7's.

The fact is, phones only last about 2-3 years at any price point regardless of whether it's from Apple, Samsung, Sony or whatever, and the actual performance difference between an £800 iPhone and a £200 OnePlus is now meaningless for 99.99% of tasks. Flagships are slowly dying because the marginal performance improvements no longer justify a 4-5 times higher price, which is why Apple's phone shipments fell in 2016 and Samsung's rose despite Sammy producing a flagship-grade phone that literally exploded in customer's pockets.

Apple will continue to cling to the market, but ultimately the iPhone is headed the way of the Mac - it's going to become a pricey niche device with a small but massively loyal following who would never, ever consider using anything else, even if Apple produced a Samsung-esque exploding handset. Meanwhile the rest of the market will move into low-margin commodity devices; I'd expect the variety of phones in the £600+ range to shrink each year from now on. Samsung might keep producing high-end flagships, but it'll increasingly be a matter of innovation prestige rather than a serious profit source.

Roo
Windows

"if you offered me 5k Euros a month to use Android, I would say no."

Is that because someone pays you >5K + an iPhone to post tosh like that on the web ? :)

Anonymous Coward

I find it oddly amusing that the post received 10 up-votes and 90 down-votes. Roughly 10% of El Reg Commentard population appears to be blind apple followers and would turn down 5k a month to avoid purchasing an alternative product.

Stuff all the other adverts you have running El Reg, there's gold to be made here from these people, start flinging them apple branded gold plated pencil adverts!

....It's also quite a scary mindset....

Anonymous Coward

Urgh, okay - I work for an MSP and something I use almost DAILY is a WiFi channel analyser.

Can you point me to a WiFi channel analyser/WiFi scanning app available on the Apple App store? It's not like I'm trying to watch filth or gambling, just a plain ole WiFi scanning app to see WiFi channel utilisation.

Because Apple decided WiFi scanning apps were banned, I'm afraid you can't use them. It's fecking ludicrous that such basic app's aren't allowed into the App Store, one of the many reasons I wouldn't touch them with a 10ft barge pole.

(Quoting theverge.com here as of 16th Feb):

"Of the 432 million smartphones sold in the last quarter, 352 million ran Android (81.7 percent) and 77 million ran iOS (17.9 percent)"

Even if they don't ALL run the latest and greatest Android, I'd say that's still an absolute landslide in comparison.

Silver badge
Holmes

How long are they going to keep it updated for?

Any advance on two years?

Re: How long are they going to keep it updated for?

See my reply post above regarding update of Honor 7 and comparing it with updates of Sony Xperia Compact and Blackberry Detek60.

I've a Honor 7 which came out in July 2015 and I got an OTA update to it this weekend, I've a feeling that well be be its last though. I am truly impressed with this phone, I paid a smidge under £200 and it has been bloomin' marvellous. I'm not one for updating my phones all the time so am happy with this one for now. I would certainly buy another Huawei device based on my experience with this H7.

Silver badge

OTOH my Huawei Ascend G7 (similar age and price) did have an OTA upgrade after about 9 months but it didn't uplift it from Kit-kat and nor have several announcements from the big H that such an update was coming soon ever been delivered.

Anonymous Coward

Blah Blah

But it's not an iPhone. This is mediocre technology. Apple will always be king.

,...................Just kidding.

Silver badge

EMUI

The hardware could be wonderful but while EMUI is a thing I will steer well clear of Huawei phones. Once bitten twice shy.

Silver badge
Megaphone

Re: EMUI

"while EMUI is a thing I will steer well clear of Huawei phones"

It was updated to v5 shortly after I got my phone and I have to say that I like it a lot. It's quick, clean and intuitive. It was the one thing I was worried about when selecting a new phone but I'm very happy with it.

You couldn't figure out how to install a different launcher, if you didn't like it? It's not hard!

Silver badge

I know how to install a different launcher. It doesn't mean I want a shit, superfluous launcher sitting in the firmware eating up space, one whose very existence means it takes Huawei longer to roll out firmware updates because of all the additional testing required. And even if I dump the launcher it doesn't make all the changes to settings, or all the other junk running in the device go away.

EMUI 5 might have undergone an exercise in turd polishing, but the proper solution would have been to dump it completely.

If only Android wasn't Google...

Mmmm a piece of crap is a bit harsh

I've recently gone back to using my iPhone 7 plus 256gb, I really tried Android, but to be honest the quality of the OS and the fricken apps is terrible.

Never syncs with my car properly, stops playing music randomly. Has very variable battery life and bluetooth LE for some reason sucks donkey nuts.

That was on both an Honor 8 and a Samsung S7 (which died in the end from some unknown h/w issue). Muddle into that I dont trust Android phones at all, even the app store gives me the heebs.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Re: Mmmm a piece of crap is a bit harsh

In my experience of MacOS, Apple deliberately sabotages the Bluetooth stack because it prefers proprietary formats for which it can charge a licence. ITunes will always crap out on Bluetooth after a couple of hours whereas my S5 will happily stream all day and all night.

FWIW I've been using Bluetooth devices since my Ericsson r520

Silver badge
Stop

And yet my honor 8 . never fails to sync up with my car, always plays the music I want it to for as long I want it to. The apps I use are all pretty good premium apps that I actually paid money for. I don't have to charge it every single night if I don't want to. I've found the bluetooth LE to be considerably more reliable than my old sony, so horse for course and all that.

Just as an aside why did you feel the need to *exactly* detail the model of your iPhone?

Silver badge
Joke

Just as an aside why did you feel the need to *exactly* detail the model of your iPhone?

Big phone, small …? ;-)

I did take a look at this but went instead for the cheaper (under £400) BQ Aquaris X Pro (pre-order, coming in June). As an upgrade to my Nexus 5X the BQ seems to fit the bill - and wallet - perfectly. Hoping to see a review soon... :)

The unit is capable of 4K video, saved at 30fps

What is the point if most users record in vertical (moron) mode.

Perhaps if vertical videos were actually captured as horizontal 1080p we wouldn't have to suffer the double video shown on news broadcasts.

Happy

What is the point if most users record in vertical (moron) mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA

I think that would be a bloody brilliant idea!

Its easier to hold a phone portrait to take video, and you focus on your main subject, but recording extra 'sides' would be great!, even better would be if the video format captured it all by default, but on playback the player could alter the ratio ;-)

Not convinced about Huawei/Honor updates. I'm still waiting for the Nougat update for my P9. Bearing in mind I got it at the press launch, which was in advance of availability at retail, I'm not very impressed with it.

My Honor 7 is still on Android 6 / Marshmellow and EMUI 4 .

Anonymous Coward

Missing the point

I've said this before, and I'll say it again...

Apple could bring out a phone that cost 2 grand, was technologically inferior to this - and it would still be more successful in terms of sales, and the perception people have of how good it is.

Why is this? Because it's based on PERCEPTION: How good (or bad) the technology is, is absolutely irrelevant to most people (in the big wide world, beyond The Reg).

So saying it makes an iPhone 7 look "a bit crap" is absolutely meaningless, as it won't even make a dint in Apples sales figures, which at the end of the day, is all they really give a shit about.

As an analogy - there is a PERCEPTION about Linux that it's for geeks only and it certainly isn't seen as "cool". There's no person Joe Public can name behind it, who they care about. So when people say all this stuff about wondering why it didn't quite get the market share and recognition they deserve...the answer is right in front of you. How you market stuff, the people behind it, leads to the perception - and that's ultimately all the success and how "good" something is seen in the big wide world comes down to.

Silver badge

Re: Missing the point

Apple works very hard to maintain the impression of a technological leader and never fails to make such points at product launches. But it works even harder to create the impression of hiding all that wonderful but complicated technology from us frightened users. But to stay successful it must continue to invest in technology.

Silver badge

Why is this?

Because an iPhone doesn't run Android and there is no other choice.

Only the imminent OnePlus flagship is likely to give it any competition?

Imminent here means last years' 3T model? Since that model had 6GB of RAM and 128GB of flash at a lower price point I can only see Huawei trying to catch up...

Re: Only the imminent OnePlus flagship is likely to give it any competition?

No - the imminent flagship is supposedly called the OnePlus 5, according to the various "leaked" photo stories currently doing the rounds.

I was being sarcastic. This Huawei model has just about matched the performance of the old 3T model (apart from the higher resolution screen and a bit stronger battery).

The only problem with the Oneplus5 is the leaked price is $650 (£500), and that's probably going to need tax added on top. I really hope this turns out to be wrong.

Incorrect spelling of honour, so they've lost a pedantic customer.

Coat

The spelling of "WhoAreWe" is also incorrect.

Silver badge

Incorrect spelling of honour, so they've lost a pedantic customer.

Oh, I thought it was named in honour of Honor Blackman!

>>Incorrect spelling of honour, so they've lost a pedantic customer.

Two pedantic customers

Any word on the type of internal storage?

Given the brouhaha around the P10 internal storage lottery, is there any explicit mention of what type of flash memory is used in the Honor 8 Pro?

There were a lot of complaints about the use of slower eMMC flash storage, rather than the fast UFS 2.0 in the P10 due to availability issues. If the H8Pro uses UFS2 that could make it an even more attractive prospect.

If I didn't have midget hands it would likely be on my upgrade wish list. Still might be actually.

Meh

Not sure why people moan about Androids interface...

...just change it.

Mines set to Square Home 2 + an icon pack, gives it a lovely Windows phone look and feel.Granted the Live tile copy isn't as good, but it'll do.

Gold badge

Re: Not sure why people moan about Androids interface...

Who can be arsed to change it? How many different launchers would you have to try before finding the one that's stable and decently useable? How long would you waste? I can remember wasting an hour on the Android store just to get an app that actually worked to copy texts from one phone to another (the first three didn't actually work as advertised) - and I just can't be arsed.

For me at least, a phone is a very important tool for both work and personal life. And so I want one that works properly out of the box, doesn't need hours of tinkering, and in an ideal world can be set up and fully operational in an hour or two.

Other peoples' mileage may vary of course.

Re: Not sure why people moan about Androids interface...

Just install Action Launcher and enjoy.

> The headline feature is the battery life. For the second time this year I’ve found myself trying to think of new ways to exhaust a phone, and been stumped.

For the most part use the wifi and 4G data connections and watch the battery vanish. Modern phones and display panels are marvelous things and increasingly well optimized, but the physics of shoving a high frequency signal at an aerial some distance from the device is always pretty punishing.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Yes... it does vanish...

"For the most part use the wifi and 4G data connections and watch the battery vanish."

Cunningly both my sony and my Honor make it vanish very slowly over the course of a couple of days.

Damn that vanishing battery power!!!!

Silver badge

Re: Yes... it does vanish...

I was a bit confused by the author of the article talking about getting 2 days of light to medium us as if it's something special. I would have said normal, the least I would expect.

Boffin

"Octocore"

Does this or any other "octocore" phone actually use 8 cores simultaneously, or are they all of the big.little kind (switching between 4 high performance + 4 low power cores)?

Also why is 6G the favoured amount of RAM, rather than a regular 4G or even 8G? I'm guessing that 99% of apps out there will run just fine on a phone with only 2 cores and 1-2G memory. Apple have managed with only 1G on their retina display devices so that can't be the reason.

Re: "Octocore"

Do Apple devices do full multitasking now? Of not, that would explain the difference in RAM required.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "Octocore"

The more modern big.little implementations can use all 8 cores simultaneously; the core swapping model only seemed to be implemented in the first couple generations of devices.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018