back to article BT's spam blocker IDs accident claims as top nuisance call

BT's free spam filter, launched earlier this year to crack down on nuisance calls, has identified accident claims as the worst offender for nuisance calls with 12 million made in the first week of March. Some two million customers have signed up to the BT Call Protect service, which it says has diverted 65 per cent of calls to …

What annoys me is the BT refuse to add the *International* flag to the anonymous call blocking service. I had the anon call block on my elderly fathers line after I discovered that he was becoming very "suggestible" to the call centre scam scum.

The Anonymous flag block was very effective, however the overseas scum could still reach him. I looked at phones with spam blocking built in but to introduce him to a new phone with a new menu system was a step he wasn't able to take at that late point in his life, where illness had all but killed his ability to take in new information and retain it.

It is unacceptable for BT to hide behind excuses. They know whats going on, they *can* do something to reduce it, but seemingly refuse to. Its one of the reasons that I have nothing with any BT group retail arm.

My mobile has Truecaller installed - as my mobile is my primary phone for for work and I get all sorts of one off calls from people not in my contacts so I find Truecaller flashing the screen red for a spammer useful to flag up the parasitic scum that interrupt our days.

re: Truecaller

Doesn't Truecaller slurp your whole contact list, as opposed to just your own cell number for something like NoMoRoBo?

Silver badge

Re: re: Truecaller

"Doesn't Truecaller slurp your whole contact list"

Only if you let it.

Silver badge

How do you block invalid numbers?

I can't understand why spam calls using numbers with a valid STD code but without enough valid digits are routed at all - why aren't they just dropped by the system? If they are foreign numbers there seems to be some numbers that report the international dialing code prefix, others that don't. How can the system route the number 0000000000 - a simple "if calling number valid then route" test would wipe out 50% or more of my spam calls ...

Anonymous Coward

Re: How do you block invalid numbers?

There are areas in the UK whose numbers don't have the usual number of digits. (There are also areas in the UK whose inhabitants don't have the usual number of digits.)

Re: How do you block invalid numbers?

Yes, but we still have 10 digits in the usual format, rather than 11.

000000000 isn't the usual format!

BT charge you to show you who is calling you, so I adopted a simple solution which was to switch the ringer off. Now no-one bothers me and BT doesn't get any money from people calling me.

Something similar here

Only I just unplugged the phone.

Why can't phones have whitelists?

I've asked this before, but no-one's responded with an answer - not knowing how the phone system works, I'm genuinely interested to know why phones can't have whitelists, ie: all calls are rejected except those from given numbers. Is there some technical reason this can;t be done on either landlines or mobile phones?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Why can't phones have whitelists?

They can, I have 3 of these, they can be configured in pretty much whichever way you want (Requires Caller ID):

BT Call Blocker 8600

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018