back to article Google fumes after US Dept of Labor accuses ad giant of lowballing pay for women

Google is on the defensive after its gender pay equality campaign was panned in court by Uncle Sam. Janette Wipper, a Department of Labor regional director, said her investigators "found systemic compensation disparities against women pretty much across the entire workforce" within the web ads giant. She was speaking in court …

1. EnviableOne Bronze badge

If it is equal, publish your methodology and payscales, before you ask for theirs.

if its not FOR SHAME! A pox upon your coulorful house! SHAME!

(or at least you should have NDAs and closed sessions to get an agreement with DoL and kept it out the press)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

US Gov should clean up its own act first

According to breitbart.com (YMMV) Senator Elizabeth Warren's office pays women $0.71 cents on the dollar vs. men. Former Senator Hillary Clinton paid women $15k less per year than men. Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton paid women $16k less per year than men. For presidential candidate Hillary Clinton paid women $7k less per year than men. I am sure their are plenty of examples on both side of the isle, but I am lazy so just using the one source.

I think this is more about someone in DoL trying to make a name for themselves, or possibly an excuse to build a who's-who list of Google employees using personal information.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: US Gov should clean up its own act first

The use of breibart.com supplied data is enough to discard the whole post. Find a source that can be trusted (for instance, any newspaper that Trump calls "fake news") and try again.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Statistically Fair Non-Fairness

It's actually a very interesting topic. You can build a scrupulously 'fair' compensation strategy based on role, evaluations, years or service, and experience ... that still consistently underpays women. One reason for this is that women are more likely than men to take time outside of the workforce to raise children. Some claim that to be 'fair' because they have fewer years of service and experience. But it's also 'unfair' because they can be equally competent contributing performers to the organization and yet still be paid less than their male counterparts. A convoluted, intriguing, and non-trivial problem.

5. Tim Worstal

Re: Statistically Fair Non-Fairness

Pay varying as a result of life choices is an interesting definition of unfairness.

That I understand words rather than code is obviously unfair given that freelance journos don't earn like coders perhaps? Or is it only unfair if it's because I chose this route?

6. YourNameHere

Trump Reaction

Conspiracy Idea # 5

This is just a follow through by Trump after dumping the privacy rules and now net neutrality both of which Google had a big hand it. If he can discredit them or at least distract people, it will allow the corporations to take over.... Anyone that helped with protecting the people or their privacy is an enemy and must be destroyed.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018