back to article GCHQ dismisses Trump wiretap rumours as tosh

UK intelligence agency GCHQ has dismissed US reports - cited by the White House press secretary - that it was involved in running a surveillance operation on Donald Trump before last year's US election as "utterly ridiculous". During a press conference on Thursday, White House press Secretary Sean Spicer cited a Fox News story …

Silver badge

Re: That was then...

"I wonder if we managed to make it through one year of Trump before them engaging in a massive war somewhere because Trump couldn't keep his stupid gob shut"

Time for a sweepstake! Yay, I got Canada!

Silver badge

If it's a dead pool sweepstake then I'm in luck: I drew Iran!

Silver badge
Facepalm

Dammit! I got Tuvalu...

Bronze badge

"That's the problem with business people: their "negotiation" tactics are pretty binary and always require a losing party to be considered a success."

Absolute bollocks. I work for one of those businesses and the gold standard for success is that EVERYBODY walks away thinking that THEY got the best deal.

Silver badge

Does that count for a narcissist? I always get the impression they like to feel they came out on top and the other was beaten.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

I got Tahiti. Hmm.... maybe time to move.

Anonymous Coward

That worked out really well in the case of the Iran Iraq war.

Anonymous Coward

SundogUK@,

Yes, I have been on all the same Sales Courses and know that is the 'Gold Standard' !!!

Back in the real world, Prez Trump is a Narcissist with a psychological need to be seen to be the 'Best' !!!

[If you cannot show it ...... simply state it is so and treat all objections as lies and bias.]

You will have also seen how he cannot admit fault or failure.

On this basis the original statement about 'Binary' negotiation tactics is proven to be more than true, to date.

His language is always about winners & losers !!!

Silver badge

Dammit! I got Tuvalu...
It could be worse. I got the Duchy of Grand Fenwick.

Anonymous Coward

Oh dear, fake news hurts doesn't it ?

My aching sides !!!!!

Anonymous Coward

So was Watergate just a figment of our imaginations ?

Silver badge

If you can remember the 70s you weren't there...

partial denial

the denial only covers trump as president elect - it doesn't deny any wire tapping prior to trump's election win

Re: partial denial

That's the thing about a conspiracy theorist: no amount of evidence will ever change their mind. It's alarming that the president of the USA is one.

read the denial again guys - it's pretty clear that it only refers to the period when Trump was president elect:

"Recent allegations made by media commentator Judge Andrew Napolitano about GCHQ being asked to conduct 'wiretapping' against the then president elect are nonsense"

an actual denial would read something like this:

"Recent allegations made by media commentator Judge Andrew Napolitano about GCHQ being asked to conduct 'wiretapping' against Donald Trump are nonsense"

GCHQ have introduced the possibility that they may have wiretapped Trump before the election result. Why would they do that? who knows, who cares....?

Silver badge

It's alarming that the president of the USA is one.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

A quote from HL Mencken

Bronze badge

Full Admission by GCHQ!

If GCHQ only denies wiretapping while Trump has been in office, that's clearly an admission of wiretapping before he was elected.

Very clever lads.. a full admission, hidden in plain sight.

Meanwhile, you (meaning: anyone) are allowed to wiretap my personal residence. I do not use phone lines no more.

Wire tap away!

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Full Admission by GCHQ!

" I do not use phone lines no more."

I see what you did there, sneaky.

So you do still use a land line?

Aren't double negatives a bitch?

Maybe they are playing a word game to keep the stupid orange knob guessing.

Silver badge
FAIL

GCHQ were not tapping Trump they were tapping the Russians. Good luck with your lying Russian puppet.

"GCHQ have introduced the possibility that they may have wiretapped Trump before the election result. Why would they do that?"

I'm not sure that they would know any other way. They are trained to collect factual information, not be the source of it. As a result, vague statements are standard operating procedure.

TRT
Silver badge

Most emphatically NOBODY tapped telephones at Trump tower.

They had no need to. They had wire taps in place already at the Russian embassy, the offices of various Russian executives and ambassadors and the homes of the aforementioned. So who's fault is it that they spent so much time on the blower to the Putin-crew?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Most emphatically NOBODY tapped telephones at Trump tower.

They had no need to. They had wire taps in place already at the Russian embassy, the offices of various Russian executives and ambassadors and the homes of the aforementioned. So who's fault is it that they spent so much time on the blower to the Putin-crew?

Absolutely correct. It is but a theory, but I suspect what got the Trump camp completely in a panic is that they KNOW what evidence the NSA has because it was in the intelligence briefings that Trump gained access to as president elect, the intelligence people just had not officially connected that yet to the precise people on the US side because that was then still not allowed.

However, as soon as Obama took the constraints away from the NSA (which is IMHO the only active involvement he had) it because very easy for the FBI to put the pieces together. Obama has been very clever here: he stayed well away from the investigation, he just made it possible for the agencies to officially connect the dots.

It must drive the Trump camp absolutely nuts knowing they can't really touch him, yet know for a fact that he enabled the FBI to connect the Russian conversations with the Trump team so that it can potentially be acted upon. That's real statesmanship, not the bull in a china shop approach that Trump mistakes for politics.

I just hope it has consequences for Trump, and soon. If the sharp increase in "alternative noise" is anything to go by, he damn well knows he has a problem..

Anonymous Coward

At 1 gvt backed intel org per day

Roughly 200 countries, so puts off impeachment for another 6-7 months, as he accuses them one after another - Norks will probably claim they did it, even if they didn't.

Silver badge

You know that bit in Back to the Future when Doc Brown asks who's president and when told responds with utter astonishment "Ronald Reagan? The actor?!!"

Now imagine if you woke up from a 2 year coma and asked who's the current US president...

Anonymous Coward

Now imagine if you woke up from a 2 year coma and asked who's the current US president...

You'd immediately slip back into a coma..

Anonymous Coward

Fast forward 20 years:

There is no Earth

Meh.

Back to the Future was made after Reagan was elected (movie released in 1985, Reagan elected 1984).

It was a snarky Dem/Liberal poke at Reagan and in no way prescient.

On the other hand, the Simpsons TV show featured Donald Trump as President - 16 years before it actually happened: http://i1.coventrytelegraph.net/incoming/article12149774.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Screen-Shot-2016-11-09-at-081756.png

Ironically, the Simpsons show was a spoof on Back to the Future (Bart to the Future)

AND THAT SHOW AIRS ON FOX!!!1!

Silver badge

RE:Now imagine if you woke up from a 2 year coma and asked who's the precitent

I'd drive into a wall to induce another.

Silver badge

"The signals intelligence agency's decision has decided to break this rule to issue an unusually strong denial in an apparent attempt to make sure it is not dragged into a hugely contentious US debate."

Well, good luck with that.

"They officially denied it, of course. Which means it must be true!"

Silver badge

Never believe anything until it's been officially denied:- Jim Hacker, Yes minister.

Silver badge

GCHQ doesn't need to wire tap, They only have to follow him on twitter to know :)

Anonymous Coward

The GCHQ in this picture

Is it the same one which people once used to accuse of unauthorised/illegal mass surveillance (which resulted in the usual 'tin foil hat' and 'conspiracly theory' ad hominems from ... well, y'know)?

Is it the same one whose puppets in and around Westminster used to deny that GCHQ were doing anything dodgy, and certainly not doing anything illegal like unauthorised mass surveillance?

Is it the same one which was then exposed as conducting unauthorised and illegal mass surveillance, the same one in whose intererests UK law was changed at very short notice in order to legalise their historic unauthorised mass surveillance?

Is it the same one where 'supervision' by names like May and Farr figure significantly in recent decades?

I could be wrong, but I think it might be.

Silver badge

Re: The GCHQ in this picture

I know...but this is the Trump administration making the claim...Kernel Panic...

Anonymous Coward

Re: The GCHQ in this picture

Yeah, this one.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "Kernel Panic..."

See also

"General ProtectionFault"

and in particular

"US Error (core Trumped)."

Anonymous Coward

Re: "Kernel Panic..."

"US Error (core Trumped)."

Ha! You owe me a new keyboard. And a fresh cup of tea.

LDS
Silver badge

I just read BOFH and the boss in search of excuses...

... why in this article Trump's entourage looks like that so much?

GCHQ's credibilty problem

I don't believe for a moment that GCHQ tapped the blowhard-in-chief's phones; the problem is the credibility of the NSA and GCHQ when it comes to telling the truth is so damaged (James Clapper, I'm looking at you) that he can say it and what would have been laughed at five years ago actually has to be investigated. Not a healthy state of affairs.

Anonymous Coward

Re: GCHQ's credibilty problem

" the credibility of the NSA and GCHQ when it comes to telling the truth is so damaged (James Clapper, I'm looking at you) that he can say it and what would have been laughed at five years ago actually has to be investigated. "

True, but how many people knew or know, let alone care, about who Clapper is, what kind of person he is, and what his administrative record is? Same on this side of the pond (Charles Farr and others).

The world's "free press" seem more interested in the inability of a well known global book-keeping company to count the votes and correctly announce the results of the ballot at some kind of fashion show.

Almost as though it was deliberate. Almost.

Meanwhile the UK internet industry is very publically setting up the necessary political, legal, ind technological infrastructure to clamp down on distribution of anythint that Government (or their paymasters) aren't happy with. What could poss

ARRIER LOST

MJI
Silver badge

Obama did not order it

May did!

Why do you think she look so confident around him?

She has him by the short and curlies.

Silver badge

Re: Obama did not order it

She has him by the short and curlies.

and we know what he grabs women by.

Who pulls hardest?

Silver badge

Re: Obama did not order it

After that... where's the mind bleach?

Anonymous Coward

The Wizard of Fud

Trump is the master at shouting "look over there" while he gets on doing something else.

He will eventually bring everyone down to his pathetic level, given enough BS.

Silver badge
Windows

C'mon folks

KittyAnn wuz riTe! it wUz no whIre tAp! It Wuz thu mycrowabes! Tats wy gcHq cAn saY Dat!.

/sarc

Considering all the internet of trash security articles we see here on ElReg, its entirely possible that someone somewhere might/could have (gag) possibly hacked into Trumps glowrious Gowld Suite at the BEST tower in the greatest city.

Mind you I suppose if Trump decides that the most effective distraction tool he can use to keep the populace from seeing just how thoroughly he's screwing up is to spit out bullshit on twitter about how 'the other guys' are 'spying' on him, we may be a step up from the bush/clinton era.

no, sadly no. I'm quite sure that by the end of next week we'll see yet another shafting of some not quite white, not quite upper class, not quite american enough chunk of the U.S.

Tin Foil Hatters have taken over the free world

Why would anyone bother tapping Trump anyway? He already Tweets every moronic thought that scurries across his brain. Someone really needs to get Sean Spicer a tin foil hat.

TRT
Silver badge

Re: Tin Foil Hatters have taken over the free world

All the security services need to do is just get everyone to BELIEVE that they mass surveil everything and everyone. Then they set up a dummy company that sells ultra-secure unbreakable encryption in a variety of easy to swallow packages. All it takes is just a leisurely scroll through the order book. The wisdom of Solomon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017