back to article Cold callers illegally sold Aussie farmers 1,700 years worth of printer ink

A tribunal has found cold calling salespeople to have illegally bullied a farming couple in Australia into purchasing 2,040 printer ink cartridges. The cow-herding couple, Rod and Charmaine Sharp from Melbourne, who have a single home printer according to the Brisbane Times, usually took 10 months to get through a cartridge, …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Too polite

So - pretend you're the Help Desk?

1. Kay Burley ate my hamster

I find shouting obscenities at cold callers stops them calling back (try insulting their mother), when I just hang up I get another call right after with a "I think we got disconnected".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't say "No thanks". Don't respond in any way. Just put the phone down immediately. They have techniques for trying to hook you in given the very slightest of openings.

Exactly. Put the phone down, but DON'T HANG UP. After a minute or so they'll figure out you're not there, but that's a minute less someone else has to deal with them.

1. Adam 1

is there more to this?

I mean, don't misunderstand me, cold callers are only one step above politicians, but would they reasonably be expected to know how many printers a specific farm might require?

And farmers who apparently can't afford $1/L milk at colesworths but don't notice 80K in their IT consumables budget? Weird.

Also, been a while since I looked at my map, but why is the Brisbane Times reporting on a Victorian tribunal decision about 2 Melbourne businesses?

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Dear El Reg : Try Google Maps

The original article says they are Queensland farmers.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Question

Its Australia so you you know it will be a shambles. But... How many litres of ink is that? And how toxic is that to the environment?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon