back to article Dyson backs Britain plc with $2.5bn AI and robotics investment

Britain's most successful engineer Sir James Dyson is taking on Google and Facebook with a $2.5bn investment to turn the former RAF base at Hullavington near Malmesbury into a research campus for robotics, AI, and other advanced technology, including batteries and vision systems. The size of the planned facility dwarfs the …

Page:

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Apart from customs, tariffs, VAT/other taxes, and compliance it'll be no different.

Onwards towards the cliff edge!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The "paperwork and administration costs" are already there"

Regulatory equivalence is what allows sales at all.

The customs union is what eliminates the paperwork moving goods.

Unless the May&the brexiteers have personality and intelligence transplant, the UK is leaving the customs union

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

I guess he has no interest in selling into the EU market

Dyson sells all over the world already, moving another 27 countries into "rest of world" isn't likely to be that much of a challenge.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

"But the EU's energy labelling regulations decree that voltage, not real-life energy consumption, is what matters"

Wattage surely? Voltage isnt really a measure of power / energy , and also is a constant 240v across europe

constant 240v across europe

Defined as a constant 230v -6%/+10% across the EU. Used to be 230 +/- 6%, but the UK was 240 +/- 6% and that could take it outside the EU range. Changing the voltage was far too complicated, so in a wonderful bit of completely ineffective EU standardisation they redefined the upper tolerance to be +10% and the UK redefined it's lower tolerance to be -10%. Now everyone can be between 216 and 252v, and we're still all at the EU "standard" of 230v.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Fairly sure the EEC used to be 220v not 230v ....

2. Harry the Bastard

i assume the issue is that the same device connected to feeble euro voltage will use less power than when connected to heroic uk voltage, given the situation of a simple load P = V*V / R

dyson are free to test at euro voltage, that's the point of eu wide standards, seems like a level playing field to me

if dyson chooses to make a device that consumes more power at euro voltage that's dyson's problem, can't blame the germans for it

2. Martin Gregorie

Errm, surely you mean...

But the EU's energy labelling regulations decree that voltage

I think you mean wattage. The voltage is set by the electricity generators and reduced by them when demand is high, so specifying it is meaningless for a mains powered device.

Also, as any fule kno, power = watts * time, so limiting the input wattage is also pretty futile because limiting it just makes the run time longer. The only realistic standard for, say, a vacuum cleaner would be to set a limit on the number of kilowatt hours used to clean a specified area of a standard floor covering. But try implementing that sort of standard for all mains powered domestic appliances and bureaucracy will think all its Xmases have come at once, so lets not go there.

Re: Errm, surely you mean...

Also, as any fule kno, power = watts * time,

I think most engineering fules would disagree. power = watts = energy * time.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Meh

The whole idea of limiting the rating was not to 'save power' as nay-sayers gleefully report, but to reduce the peak load, which helps to improve the overall efficiency of the entire power generation/distribution/use system.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Wow, three downvotes against basic physics.

The Watt is a measure of power.

Power (in watts) is defined as energy use (SI unit the Joule) per unit of time (SI unit the Second).

One watt is defined as 1 joule per second.

watts*time is not a measure of power, it's a measure of energy.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

So, AI robot vacuum cleaners... that will not only kill you, come the singularity, but will also clean up the mess it made in one go?

4. Chris G

Reap the Whirlwind

I personally don't like cyclonic, bag free vacuum cleaners, I don't think cyclonic effects really work well at less than about wheely bin sized receptacle vacs with a small diesel engine to run it.

However, Dyson has successfully spawned a growing market segment in vac's that others are only too happy to copy, not to mention all the other items on his books and he certainly knows how to sell. I also like his ideas about bringing back training instead of relying on University and college taught technicians who may have not been taught to engineer the way his company needs them to.

Considering he has 2.5 billion reasons to think he knows what he is talking about with his new campus, he probably does, I wish him luck and hope he makes the old base into a world leading Technology centre.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Reap the Whirlwind

"I personally don't like cyclonic, bag free vacuum cleaners, "

Are you a real !

5. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Terminator

Sir James Dyson is taking on Google and Facebook

Robot wars!

For real!!

6. Commswonk
    Coat

Crap Joke Alert...

He wants a level playing field. And they don't come much more level than an old airfield.

We must hope that this venture is a run(a)way success.

(Mine's the one with the table tennis bats in the pockets...)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Crap Joke Alert...

"Darn, I said I wished my vacuum cleaner was a dyson, not I wished my vacuum cleaner would dyson "

7. twelvebore

The shite that burns twice as bright lasts an eighth as long. No, wait...

"Several of Dyson's hallmark products are more energy efficient because they use more power for a shorter period than conventional products on the market, some of which are made by German rivals including Bosch and Siemens."

This has indeed been my experience.

The Dyson my wife bought died after 18 months. The German-made appliance I bought (that she wanted to replace with said Dyson) is still kicking after 13 years.

The Dyson was definitely using power for a much shorter period than the German thing.

1. TheProf

Re: The shite that burns twice as bright lasts an eighth as long. No, wait...

To balance the 'argument' my Dyson is over 14 years old and is still effectively sucking it up.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The shite that burns twice as bright lasts an eighth as long. No, wait...

I still think the G-Tech AirRam is better cleaner than all of them...

8. smartypants

Confused.

Why should the answer to the question "why does a specific rule not seem to benefit my company" be "let us withdraw from all european cooperation"?

Seems a tad hasty.

1. codejunky Silver badge

Re: Confused.

@ smartypants

I think his argument was more rigging the market. But there are many valid reasons to leave the EU so its probably just one of many reasons for him.

9. Tom 64

Nice deal if you can get it.

Pretty sure the government will have given him a very sweet discount on that MoD land.

As a successful British businessman and Brexiteer, the torys will have been falling over themselves to offer it to him simply for the good PR.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nice deal if you can get it.

Why not offer a discount on abandoned brownfield land? Should do it far more often. Heck, give it away free.

10. nijam Silver badge

> most successful engineer Sir James Dyson

Most successful self-promoter Sir James Dyson, do you mean?

11. ad47uk

Bringing manufacturing back to the UK may help

Oh yes, Dyson, loves the UK so much he now manufacture his over priced products in another country, so much for supporting the UK.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like