back to article Why software engineers should ditch Silicon Valley for Austin

Software engineers should ditch their coveted Silicon Valley jobs and look for opportunities in Austin, San Diego or Seattle. That's according to recruitment company Hired, which looked at the salaries for 260,000 jobs in cities across the US and the world and accounted for the cost of living in those cities. So while people …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Texas in general has a pretty vibrant tech scene

And both Dallas and Austin are quite liberal at the core. Whenever people at our former head office (Dallas) were made redundant, none had any issues getting same/better paid work, locally, without having to move.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would not move to Austin from the bay area but for another reason. Water. Austin has had over 8boil advisories in the past decade. Texas has had more than one city with bad water that has lasted longer then five years. You have cities in Texas wee the water looks like oil.

1. Jason Hindle

Haven't tried the Austin Tap water

But the water in Dallas is pretty dire (something to do with algae in the lakes). Safe to cook with, but I wouldn't even use it for tea or coffee.

2. non-ya

Disease and pestilence

Infected boils, terrible water and my god have you seen the bugs!!! All excellent reasons to stay in sunny California!!

Texas, a place Californians should stay away from.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Disease and pestilence

Infected boils, terrible water and my god have you seen the bugs!!!

Yes, I've seen the bugs - I live in San Antonio.

The size of the bugs is constrained by physics really - critters with an exoskeleton can only grow so big.

Also, only a small portion of the fauna is deadly, compared to say 95% of all species in Australia (including the chickens, so I'm told)

I like that I can afford a nice big house here, and there are lots of companies in town needing programmers.

2. fredesmite

Re: Disease and pestilence

Austin does have something no Californian will ever see : homes you can actually purchase on a working wage as an investment . The vast number of Californians live pay check to pay check living in over priced rental properties and after a decades of working likely won't have 2 pennies to rub together to show for it.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

still waiting for the big one

Way hasn't the west coast fallen into the ocean yet ? All you hipsters will be living the dust bowl life style when SanFran or San Jose turns into a collapsed pile of rubble .. or a tsunami turns Seattle into a cesspool .

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Yellow Rose ( err so I heard, ahem, from someone I barely know... )

4. Carl Pearson
    Thumb Down

Just Say No

To moving to Austin. Have only lived here around 20 years, visiting on and off for over 30. The city is getting to be too big for its britches.

Yeah, it's still a fairly nice place to live, but its infrastructure isn't keeping up with the population.

One of Samsung's only non-US fabs is here. Dell is here. Big Blue is here. Google is here (I must say, though, that I do like the fiber speed, and the ability to have gotten TWC out of my house). The University of Texas is the largest single campus in the country, just north of downtown.

I-35, the "Nafta Highway", borders downtown to the East. It's icky, which is why a toll-road bypass several miles away was built that allows one to avoid downtown altogether. The other main artery to the west just lost a lane to make a part-time tollway. Being originally from Chicago, I know once toll roads get in place, they never go away, and they're an abomination to anyone who through taxes has ever paid for a road.

Plus, if you move here now, you'll have to duke it out with all the Big Blue people work-from-home folks getting ready to be force-relocated.

The ACL festivals are nice, but it's held so close to a bunch of neighborhoods parking and noise pollution are out of hand. SouthBy is waaaaaay to big these days.

I know, sounding like Dana Carvey's "Old Man" SNL sketches, but the fact remains Austin has too many people.

So please don't move here!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please don't come...

The community has doubled here over the past 7 years for reasons listed in the article. Massive expansion plans by companies already here and others growing from the tech sector (anyone you can think of). Monthly details from the Austin Chamber may help with some insight - https://www.austinchamber.com/blog/job-report-january-2017

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Please don't come...

Having grown up in Austin in the 70's where the end of the world was Rutland at 35, and HW 70/35 down south , Burnet road was a 2 lane road to sleepy Round Rock of 5000 ..

Dell has turned RR into a cesspool covered by clover leaf over passes ..

It's too late

6. Edgar Scrutton

Try Toronto Ontario Canada.

Great accepting culture with arts, entertainment etc. Good public transportation and a very low payroll tax that gives EVERYONE full heath care. And we have the clothing to handle the weather.

7. GrapeBunch
    Headmaster

Grammar and Geography Gnastic alert

In the comments, site sb cite; cache sb cachet. But what really caught my pedantic eye was the map. Seattle is up a snowy mountain somewhere on the Olympic Peninsula. Denver is about 150 miles closer to Kansas than it is in real life. Toronto is on a land-extension drawn onto the map because the map itself is of USA. As to its actual orientation inside Canada, you've pinned it around Brantford, but maybe it's a heartier laugh to be London, Ontario. So far as climate goes, I would have thought that the SF Bay area with its surprisingly (considering how far south it is) cold, damp and foggy weather would be a perfect fit for Brits. Also Seattle and its Canadian cognate Vancouver, should help one maintain that English rose complexion. As for the rest of NA: there is a reason for central heating / cooling.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Calif is horrible

Even top San Fran jobs that pay $200k are really only worth $110k in take home pay after 45% federal+12% income tax - add to that the LOWEST PRICE HOME or Condo isn't even close to $1m anymore .. so you can't even qualify for a $1.5m mortgage with $110k take home pay . gas at $5 gallon ; insurance is off the charts, jammed highways 24 hours a day around San Jose .. it is horrible .

Many Calif live pay day to pay day ; it is impossible to save a penny living there.

IMO - Seattle isn't much more appealing - plus you have to step over all the drug addicts in the downtown area ... it is cesspool

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like