back to article Vapists rejoice! E-cigs lower cancer risk (if you stop smoking, duh)

The first long-term, real-world study on carcinogens in e-cigarettes has found that they are significantly safer than smoking. The study by UCL's tobacco research group found that smokers who switched to e-cigarettes had significantly lower levels of tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs), and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) …

Re: This is all about carcinogen levels

"Propylene glycol and glycerin are indeed permitted food additives but they have not been 'officially approved' for vaporisation and inhaling"

As they are used as the delivery agent in asthma inhalers, I'd imagine they are fairly "officially approved" for inhaling.

Thumb Up

Re: frank ly

I have extensive experience of both inhaling tobacco smoke and inhaling e-cig vapour and I can tell you that after nine months of heavy vaping, I feel a heck of a lot better and don't get out of breath easily nowadays. Actually, I ought to stop now since it's become just a behavioural and psychological habit that doesn't provide me with any definite sense of physical relief.

I too felt physically much, much better after a 6 months of vaping rather than smoking.

Having quit vaping I feel even better! I started exercising then swimming, beach running. I had never been able to do any press ups my whole life & now at 50 I do ten every day. I'm not a fanatic or anything, but I look & feel so much better being able to get some exercise without gasping like a landed fish. So go for it, you'll save even more money and won't be at the mercy of government legislation.

Silver badge

Less bad

I don't think anyone is saying that vaping is good for you. What they are saying is that as a way to deliver nicotine to an addict it's less harmful than smoking a rolled up bundle of chemically treated plants.

As a non-smoker I'd much rather you were vaping than puffing on that stinking weed.

It seems crazy to put in measures to make vaping harder and it seems driven by ideology rather than science.

Re: Less bad

Of course it's driven by ideology. There's very little policy driven by science unless it confirms the ideology of the ruling party (in most countries, maybe all).

Silver badge

Re: Less bad

IMO, the resistance to vaping is twofold. One, the cig makers hate it, for obvious reasons. Two, some fear that taking the nicotine out of the weed and using it directly will cause people to progressively up their dose, like some other drug users.

We are now seeing that point Two is not valid. And point One? I say the cig makers have nothing to complain about. They made a killing while helping a lot of people to kill themselves. I'm not assigning blame, things happen. But human beings are better off not inhaling the smoke from burning weeds, that's all.

At least, not THAT weed...

Silver badge

Bah!

Let's be honest here. The basis for most objections to vaping is that non-vapers don't want to be breathing the stuff no matter how safe it can be proved to be. Were the legislation reframed in light of this insight I'm sure that the two schools of behavior could co-exist, albeit with the inevitable flock of git-bags who would vape in a cinema just to see if anyone would complain.

I don't vape myself, but believe that it is like any other behavior; you should be free to indulge yourself just so long as you don't force others to do so. So yes, own a gun, no don't rob a bank. Drive a car, not on the pedestrian walkway. Hold a phone conversation on the train, do so quietly.

Silver badge

Re: Bah!

I do vape, trying to give up the cigs. I have to say I agree, I can totally understand why someone who does not would not want to be in a room with people vaping in the same way they would not want to be in the smoking room especially people who use cloud mixes even as someone who vapes I have worked in rooms with people using them and it gets a bit much.

If it's treated like cigs in that respect though, i.e don't use in an enclosed office space (unless everyone doesn't mind) or as part of policy etc, no vaping in cinemas and such then I don't see why there is an issue with people vaping.

What about when we are at work and you try to hold one in but it just won't stay?

What about that smelly lunch you brought in?

What about that guy we all know who didn't shower but just used a lot of spray? He doesn't smell bad but you can be sure the pollutants are creeping up your nose.

What about that one morning when you forgot to brush your teeth and you hoped nobody would notice as you put a piece of gum in your mouth?

There are a million chemicals and smells and pollutants going around in the fresh air but you don't complain because you don't realise they are there. Sometimes I think people complain about vaping because (a) they can see the <del>smoke</del> steam and (b) it looks like smoking so it must be treated the same way.

I don't understand it, expecially when I am being told to my face that vaping is dirty, by a guy with immensely terrible face-melting halitosis, as has happened to me.

If it's so important to you that there are zero polluants then it's your responsibility to walk around in a body suit with a respirator.

If you are complaining about vaping alone but not the 1001 other sources of pollution then you are just doing it to be awkward in my opinion.

Silver badge

No I think those things can be pretty rude as well.

My complaint about the vaping in a room with the cloud chasing sort, is the fact that I actually have been in rooms that have their own fog effects.

Silver badge

My complaint about the vaping in a room with the cloud chasing sort, is the fact that I actually have been in rooms that have their own fog effects.

Most places won't let you vape indoors, which is fine. I do get miffed when told I can't vape in a club, and then they set off their fog machines, which basically are mains operated vapes without any tasty flavours added...

am i ok not to die ?

thing is yrs ago 60,70's they told you it was fine to smoke .. they needed that income (tax)

now that we ourselves found something else that's not in the near future going to kill us they said it was bad ...

but now they have found a way to tax and make an income off it ..TDP so it's ok to vape ..

I smoked for 30+ yrs (a fool I know ) now I vape have done for 3 yrs .. feel better can run again (ok walk really fast :) ) but in the end i'm now not hurting anyone but myself if at all .. no second hand smoke..

so leave me alone as my fruity vapour smells better than some people ..

and you walking down a busy street is more harmful to your health ..

Anonymous Coward

Marijuana delivery

Many people I know, started smoking as a result of using tobacco to mix with marijuana. Legalisation (or decriminalisation) of cannabis in the UK, would make vapourisable (and edible) cannabis more easily available.

Bronze badge
Boffin

Re: Marijuana delivery

THC is somewhat soluble in glycerin, so you should be able to make your own "Joint Juice" by steeping ground-up weed in VG for several days (or refluxing for an hour or so; about 5 or 6 syphon cycles, if using a Soxhlet extractor. You probably will have to do this under vacuum, in order to bring the BP down to something manageable).

You might also want to add a drop of tobacco e-liquid to it, just to give the right hit in the throat.

Anonymous Coward

That sort of extraction method isn't something that many people are able to do though. Perhaps a CO2 extraction might be easier?

Bronze badge

That sort of extraction method isn't something that many people are able to do though.
There is a Poor Person's Way™.

If the plant matter is ground finely enough, the active incredient will dissolve -- eventually -- in a coffee jar just placed somewhere warm and occasionally agitated. Glycerin (propane-(1,2,3)-triol to give it its proper chemical name) can be bought in major pharmacies. As long as you pre-heat the funnel and stand the (opened) jar in a bowl of warm water to get it nice and runny, you can filter a few ml. at a time -- easily enough for a few refills of a standard 2ml. clearomiser -- through an ordinary coffee filter.

You should have a copy of the necessary Home Office Licence for these experiments near every entrance to your laboratory, of course .....

Anonymous Coward

Yes but THC just makes you twitchy it's the Cannabinoids that bring the happy & calm

Getting the mix of those two right is the important thing

I may be wrong, but I believe Cannabinoids are 'oil' soluble only

Anonymous Coward

Good point. I've seen CBD (cannabidiol; the legally-available cannabinoid currently being studied for antipsychotic properties) ejuices on sale, so that might help balance things out. However, there's no telling what the ideal combo of constituent compounds for maximum therapeutic benefit with minimal side-effects may be. That's a pretty young science thus far (largely due to the legal considerations in many territories), though it does seem increasingly clear that TCH++ * CBD-- (as in skunk) == not so good medicine.

You can still, just about, get CBD e-juices. but there has been a clampdown on them. You can no longer just buy them on Amazon, for example.

It was officially classified as medicinal, which meant you need an expensive dispensing licence to sell it, which put most places out of business.

I vape with them to help with my anxiety, but if it does become unavailable, i'll have to go back to NHS funded drugs.

Silver badge

Having buried my brother aged 43

I wish e-cigs had been around for the last 20 years. He may still be alive today.

Bronze badge

Seems to me...

...That the major problem people have with vaping is that it shouldn't be possible to enjoy something without being punished for it. To these puritans, smoking is better than vaping because at least you will (most probably) have to pay a price for your enjoyment. To suggest that something is enjoyable and harmless is heresy to them. Because they (the vapers) are getting away with something they ought not to get away with!

Bronze badge

Keep it to yourself.

The only problem I have with vaping is the constant exposure we get to vapers. Keep that shit to yourself and I seriously don't care. I don't care if you want to inhale agent orange through an asbestos filter, just don't do it around me or children.

Silver badge

Re: Keep it to yourself.

"The only problem I have with vaping"...is that you have no idea what you are talking about. The highly visible "cloud chasers" using mixes designed to make big clouds of vapour are the only ones you ever notice. Or those with big, fancy and complexes "boxes" they suck on. The rest us, you probably never notice

Anonymous Coward

Smokers stink

And vapers look like prats.

Your choice.

PS: Thanks for all that lovely tax money.

I've been waiting for someone going to make a vaper that looks like a pipe. It wouldn't be so annoyingly obvious, especially if you didn't use some weird scent. (Blueberry? Really?) Add a couple of leather or corduroy elbow patches to double the price. (Probably an archaic reference.)

As far as the chemical composition being safer, a lot of people are sensitive to aspartame without knowing it, resulting in headaches and bloating. Often they are also sensitive to Red 40, monosodium glutamate, and tyramine, which have the same symptoms when consumed: I believe there is a common chemical component, not yet isolated. My wife lost over 1/2 stone in the first week after we started watching ingredient labels, and it was obvious from the tightening of her face that it was water squeezed out of her blood vessels as they contracted to normality.

And for people being aware of the history of their culture, how many people know the original slang meaning of "coffin nail"? (Ever hear "Puff, Puff, Puff" by Phil Harris? How many millennials understand line 2 of "Taxman" by the Beetles?

Let me tell you how it will be

There's one for you, nineteen for me

'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Bronze badge

http://www.smoktech.com/kit/guardian-iii-kit

Silver badge

> There's one for you, nineteen for me

Nothing to do with smoking per se, but a reference to the 19s/£ income tax rate mop-tops faced at the time.

(95%, for those of you who've forgotten "pounds, shillings, and pence")

there are loads of mods out there that look like pipes, from colourful aluminium to old fashioned wooden ones.

Bronze badge

Try this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4rrhKlbCEc

Anonymous Coward

Headline?

Look like a douche?

They just look like people trying to sort their lives out and get rid of a deadly addiction to me.

Did I read that correctly that vaping is not only safer than smoking but also safer than nicotine patches? This is frankly a bit hard to believe but if true ought to be the final nail in the coffin of fearmongering about it (but I'm sure it won't).

non smoker

On a side note, the weird thing is that I actually like the smell of fresh cigarette smoke, but I cannot stand the smell of the electric stuff, to me it smells of cheap bubblegum.

never actually smoked in my life, but the fact that nightclubs now just smell of B.O., vomit and farts, where the cigarette smoke used to hide the other smells.

you also find that because peoples clothes don't smell of smoke after a night out they get to re-use them in the office and there seem to be more smelly people around now.

additionally, the state of aircraft air is a lot worse now they don't have to refresh the air as much since the ban, and so I'd imagine the chance of catching someone's cold has increased (my logic anyway)

it's interesting how a political hotcake and a very personal choice can have a knock on effect on environments and not always for the positive.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017