back to article Imagine a ChromeOS-style Windows 10 ... oh wait, there it is and it's called Windows Cloud

Microsoft's latest Windows Insider build, released on Friday for participants in the software preview program, contains a reference to a new Windows SKU called Cloud. Microsoft declined to comment on what Windows Cloud might be, but after the name was spotted and revealed on Twitter, veteran Microsoft watcher Mary Jo Foley …

Silver badge

"Windows 10 Cloud will ..

supposedly be limited to Unified Windows Platform apps installed through the Windows Store. In that respect, it would be similar to Windows RT."

So not windows then. Just some crap that people want as much as windows phones (i.e. not at all) and what they fucked up the real windows for.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "Windows 10 Cloud will ..

That is why I think this decision from MSFT doesn't make any sense. They don't have a winning product, but they are validating Google's model for corporate accounts. If MSFT goes in and pushes this Windows Cloud product... people will likely just go with Google Chrome as it is 1) the originator of the model. 2) It doesn't require a license, huge EA cost savings. 3) This is basically a browser, search engine and app store of an OS.... Google is the clear leader in all three of those categories.... They must have felt that people are moving to Chrome with or without their input so they are trying to get something out there.

Silver badge

I bet...

...you'll still be seeing a lot of "Windows Updates are 100% Finished" for 10 minutes or more.

A Chromebook can update in a four second reboot. Try that MS!

Re: I bet...

"4 seconds reboot" - This is not necessary anymore on Linux at all due to its a bility to be able to live patch the kernel without rebooting!

LDS
Silver badge

How many distro have live kernel patching enabled by default?

Anonymous Coward

"How many distro have live kernel patching enabled by default?"

Pretty sure that would only be Oracle as they own patents on that technology...

Anonymous Coward

Fcuk me, another me too!

They're coming think and fast these days!

Silver badge

The wailing and rending of garments notwithstanding

It is long past time for Microsoft to concede that the software distribution model in Windows (download and install applications from anywhere) is a legacy of insecurity horrors best left behind.

They won't get people to adopt it, obviously, but at least they've taken the time to read up on more sane methods.

Silver badge

Bloat for the cloud

ChromeOS is intended to be a lightweight OS with most of the work done in the cloud. This means the hardware requirements are lower. However, one loses power and control. The loss of power means one can not powerful apps locally and store the data locally - there some that will always need this and many who want this. If everything starts out local then one has control of the data and its location(s).

I do not see that Slurp truly understands Chocolate Factory's strategy. Thus, they are aping a mirage.

Silver badge

Re: Bloat for the cloud

Hmm what is that 128GB of local storage on my Chromebook...

Anonymous Coward

Re: Bloat for the cloud

The apps thing is really not an issue. You can do anything on the cloud (cluster of servers) with the output being displayed on a local machine. Some apps, e.g. CAD, need to be redesigned to run on the server side, but definitely possible. Most apps already work that way, client is there to display output, which requires almost no local resources, and server side does the work. It also is infinitely better from a management, security, performance perspective.

Silver badge
Facepalm

MS moves beyond Cloud Computing...

Into Cargo Cult Computing. Again.

JLV
Silver badge

wtf?

So, all of the Windows hassles and un-intuitiveness and none of the power? Presumably with most of the petty licensing hassles? Minus viability in the absence of broadband. Minus the ability to install programs from where I see fit? Built-in monitoring. With the added benefit of an uncertain future - it's not like MS ever drops a product line when it gets bored, izzit?

Sign me up. not.

At the least the Surface makes sense. This doesn't. Or maybe it does, since they've royally screwed the pooch on mobile - so this is their new version of mobile? Plan D? F?

p.s. one slight item in their defense - their recent work with stripping down Windows to Nano edition might have set the ground for an OK technical base to it.

The things that make Chromebooks appealing

1 Chrome

2 See 1

Can MS offer that?

Silver badge
WTF?

Re: The things that make Chromebooks appealing

You can run Chrome on Windows, and with it being open source there's no reason MS shouldn't offer it..... So 1 is sorted.

Not sure about your second point.

Not on RT it wasn't.

Anonymous Coward

It isn't likely that this Windows Cloud thing will allow you to add Chrome instead of Edge... which will be a problem. No one wants Edge. The only thing that kept IE relevant were all of the legacy dependencies. Replace IE and people don't move to the next MSFT browser, they move to Chrome as they would have liked to do several years ago.

usr 33 teletype circa 1975 anyone?

Win10 IOT

Or just a subtle re-brand of something that's already there to align with direction and partnerships that were cemented last year? Win10 IOT was there for thin clients and re-branding it to Win10 Cloud could just align with the direction being taken with Azure and Citrix partnership. Win10 IOT Core could just become Win10 IOT.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: Win10 IOT

that's a bit too much market spin for my brain to handle... *URP* that was a close one!

Bronze badge

Who wants to bet you'll be able to upgrade to Windows 10 standard for £40?

Silver badge
Pirate

"a simpler, lighter, allegedly safer, more affordable version of Windows 10."

So, it's Windows 3.0 with no network stack? That would definitely hit the "simpler, lighter, allegedly safer" parts. Just make sure these new cloud-based Windows machines have a floppy drive...

Anonymous Coward

Dear El Reg

Please dont report shit like this. I live in a blissful Linux bubble.

Reading the latest angle of attack on innocent peoples wallets brings my piss to a boil when I picture all the ill advised masses hoarding towards what they perceive as a dirt cheap piece of it.

It happened to netbooks, it happened to chromebooks now Microsoft wants a piece of the "what the fuck is this, its not a laptop" market.

To be fair to the Chromebook to those that "get it" its a powerful tool...but to Johnny "buy an i3 from Tesco" Smith this is yet another product he won't understand, need or ultimately want.

Im assuming a cloud based Windows 10 wont have a native office install so for the customer facing people here its another few years of eye twitching when a C level exec sees £150 on the pricetag and he asks the (now age old and much derided) question you can't actually give a straight answer to because nobody on Earth knows what it actually means.

"Will it run Office?"

Windows in the cloud will spawn more celeron based, light weight, looks lime its cheap but is actually overpriced....crap.

Seriously cloud os based devices are the landfill android of the PC world.

Why do tech companies have to fuck you in the ass at the low end?

Ugh. Just fuck off pedalling crap all of you. Stick to the middle and high end, ditch the low end whack Linux on it with an adblocner preinstalled and everyone will be better off.

It'll be met with resistance at first but a bit of light beating and some mild torture we will get the human race there.

If you think I'm wrong you're part of the problem.

Anonymous Coward

High horse

You're on one. Get the fuck over yourself.

Or at least get a slightly original point of view, this shit is so tired it's rip van fucking winkle.

We get it, you only know linux and think it's the dog's bollocks. Those of us with experience of more than one OS know they're all shit in their own special way.

"More recently, the company introduced Microsoft Intune for Education, a cloud-based application and device management service designed to make Windows devices more appealing in the education market."

This idea is primarily about the education market. If so, they'd better have their act together on the device managment side.

"imagine Chrome-Os Windows

An easy thing to do

No hell below us

It's just like Win RT

Imagine all the people

Using Windows Store..... ah ah.."...

Silver badge

This is such a stupid idea!

Also, chromebooks do it much better and are the bomb!

everything old is new again.

Yes Microsoft, less *can* be more, but why didn't You get that years ago ?

Musicians figured this idea out hundreds of years back, maybe because *their* code is open

Microsoft.. Either way, they'll screw it up.

I wish software developers thought 'less is more' - code bloat in general and OS bloat are the two big Fux ups that needs fixing in the IT world.. right after they get security done :)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017