back to article Drones will be able to carry 120GB footage of you in the shower if Seagate has its way

Seagate is partnering with drone maker DJI to develop onboard storage for its unmanned aerial vehicles. They say drone cameras are gaining resolution and flight times are getting longer, both of which mean more data needs to be stored in flight. DJI's Inspire 2 drone can record 5.5K video for example, and a 25-minute flight …

Re: @Cynic_999 - being seen from the air while naked

So what you are pointing at are modified cameras that permit updated lenses.

In the case of DJI you are flying through the same camera as used for photographic purposes and for the most part these days they are DJI specific items

Additionally so that isn't going to go too well as you need a wide FOV to fly the damn thing and there is no method of changing the 'zoom' when in flight.

For most consumer kit the weight of any useful long range lens (even these days) will limit it's usefulness and by the time a suitable gimble (as it would need to be a good one that copes with more than an ultra light action cam) the weight and therefore the machines size goes up again.

I have a lightweight gimble for a small DSLR & associated lens that I am repairing (for a commercial pilot) and I could assure you no DJI available in an electronics store would be lifting it off the ground even without a camera in place.

Re: @Cynic_999 - being seen from the air while naked

Have added the quote

"That said, drone enthusiasts can prevent a lot of irritation and upset if they respect other people's privacy. There is plenty of room to avoid problems, and even where it cannot be avoided a polite knock on the door and a quick, friendly chat goes a very long way to avoid misunderstandings and unpleasantness."

Actually 'drone pilots' shouldn't have to do that, for the simple reason that they should not be flying that close to people and structures. There are regulations that flyers are obliged to adhere to.

Although I do get irritated with the scare stories I have never had any compunction to tell people to stop flying somewhere inappropriate or in the past report them to the cops (flying model plains at the end of a commercial runway) or posting horrendously dangerous content to youtube (when the CAA used to want such material reported)

The majority of flyers are the same as they are responsible people who do not wish to lose their hobby due to the actions of a selfish few

Re: Where are the Drone Jammers then?

Seriously? ..... Really? .... You're actually buying into the ridiculous sensationalisation?

YouTube any flying drone and tell me that you and everyone in the area will not be able to HEAR let alone spot a drone hovering outside your bedroom window. Go on. Just do that simple little thing.

Before you go out a commit an OFCOM offence you probably ought to do some research also on radio signal jamming and the limited amount of legality that surrounds that. Also shotguns, how'd you fancy doing time for using one for destroying property.

You can buy 128GB microSD cards. They're pretty small and light.

Silver badge

Yes, thought about this too, then checked the write speeds here. No microSD (or regular size SD) will match 4Gbps (or 400MB/s). Still, I wonder if this speed is really useful in this case?

Silver badge

Sustained speed is also an issue. Shooting 5,5K video is going to batter that SD card.

Silver badge

>Sustained speed is also an issue. Shooting 5,5K video is going to batter that SD card.

If the word "drone" is involved, I demand laser, er, "downlinks" of one sort or another.

Silver badge

re: No microSD (or regular size SD) will match 4Gbps (or 400MB/s)

No, but then you can build a RAID stripping configuration (remember reading an article about how to do it a year or so back) to achieve the speed, which is effectively what is inside an SSD...

SVV
Silver badge

"They want to have efficient storage that securely stores, manages, downloads, plays, backups and shares the potentially hundreds of gigabytes of data that can be generated from a single drone flight."

Totally agreed on the "what's the big deal about 128Gb of storage" comments. You could fit way more than that in a drone, and 128Gb only costs about 25 quid right now.

And what's with this "manages, downloads, plays, backups and shares" stuff? Is the process of transferring files from one device to another a new probem that needs a new solution?

Very underwhelming story indeed. Please engage brain when press release is recieved.

Silver badge

Huh?

Why does a drone need to record video of its flight at all, never mind in very high resolution?

And never mind shotguns, a catapult, paintball gun or net should sort the buggers out. :-)

Happy

Re: Huh?

Well, for starters the TV production industry quite like to be able to record what they're shooting...

Silver badge

Trials are being run, using video footage from a quadcopter as a way to do a primary inspection of railway bridges, as that can be done without taking the tracks out of service. That would only be necessary if something is spotted warranting further inspection. Though in the case of this trial they used a live HD video feed, so that the operator could close in on particular features in real time.

Recording onboard the 'copter versus transmission has its pros and cons such as weight, link reliability and power usage.

Anonymous Coward

My dad got a drone for a present, but he can't fly so well, so I ran it up over the treeline and did a slow 360° pan of the surrounding area. It came out very well. It's another way to take pictures. We don't live in South Park and are not looking for Craig's Mom's Bush. Whatever sight it is to behold. Normal people use drones too, in other words.

My comment is also along the lines of; 120GB?! That's it? Wake me when you get to 2TB on that stick, mmm-kay?

Silver badge

Kingston supposedly will be releasing a 2TB stick shortly, no word on price yet. (I want!)

Silver badge

@DasWezel @Stoneshop - yes, drones with video for things liek making TV programmes, reconnoitering sites of archaeological interest and bridge/structure inspections, sure. But outide of those uses? The headline was clearly indicating use of drones by yer average plebs like us.

I'd also point out to those syaing that drones are used by 'normal' people, if you're implying that it should be a case of 'what's the problem?' then in a word - privacy, the same thing that not a few commentards here realise is the issue with 'social media' and IoT crap. not to mention public safety issues, and the possibility of harassment via drones. And, for the recrd, I don't know of anyone owning a drone, not have I even seen one in use yet. So not THAT normal, yet, thank god.

Silver badge

Why does a drone need to record video of its flight at all, never mind in very high resolution?

It doesn't, just that for many 'drone' means 'flying camera'.

For remote inspection/survey/surveillance applications, it is normal to use a 'low-res' real-time stream back to the ground (with the option to view snapshots/short sequences at higher resolutions), whilst the camera records everything (to local storage) at a much higher resolution such as 4K.

What the article is missing, is a little context for general readers, namely, the basic DJI Inspire 2 drone camera platform retails at a little over 3000 GBP.

Silver badge

Easyjet already uses drones for airplane inspection at Gatwick and Paris.

There are other uses.

As far as the shotguns, catapult, paintball - they are inefficient and prohibited for city limits in some places. If a drone is that close for you to use any of those you are better off with a bog standard pressure washer and a bottle of paint or dye instead of the detergent.

The issue with all of them is - by the time you got to one of them the drone is gone. So you are better off with passive defences. Privacy foil for windows is about 5£ a meter and takes approx 15 min per window to install. I got it on most windows already to reduce glare and heat in the summer.

Not much news..

..nothing much being said there. Drone that uses memory sticks will use memory sticks.

And out of the woodwork come the "oh no, drones!" crowd who seem to forget that everything from Country File through to the latest Tom Cruise film uses drones. The BBC has its own department developing in house technology, and police, fire and ambulance services use them for scene of accident, search and rescue and safety monitoring. Ignoring those, the wildlife photographers, travel writers, and people who just want a cool selfie have every right to take the benefit of new technology.

It's remarkable that a technology site famous for ridiculing the "think of the children" line still has readers who take the approach that any new technology that might be used by 'bad people' should be regulated, banned then regulated some more. I guess because they personally don't have one means they can't imagine why anyone else should? Good job we all have mobile phones, laptops and fnarking duct tape already, or we'd have to ban them too.

Silver badge

Re: Not much news..

I agree, a large chunk of Planet Earth 2 used drones.

Next ban telescopes and binoculars because people in tower blocks may spy in your bedroom.

Re: Not much news..

And cameras. Don't forget to ban cameras ... like this one https://youtu.be/_P18JOsdlFU

Silver badge

boring

Who needs 25 minutes of me in the shower... or 10 as my showers are pretty short, enough to wake me up.

Re: boring

You say that but Seagate apparently think you take upwards of 50 hours and they don't want to miss a second of it.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

"Drones" ... "footage of you in the shower"

Tabloid scaremongering headlines much, El Reg?

Shame on you.

You're better than that.

Silver badge

Re: "Drones" ... "footage of you in the shower"

'Shame on you.

You're better than that'

They really aren't

@Haku

did you miss the huge site title in red at the top of the page. just like the paper red tops, the reg chases punters with dodgy headlines and some stupid stories.

you'll never guess etc.......

FAIL

"Shame on you.

You're better than that."

Once upon a time, maybe. No more! Sad days.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: "Drones" ... "footage of you in the shower"

Yep, it's a jokey headline on a story about storage for drones. We should have written a seven-decker containing an intricate explanation of NVMe. That's us told.

FAIL

What reaction did you expect to your Daily Mail headline n'est pas?

Bronze badge
Trollface

I've been hanging my wang out the bathroom window for 3 hours now, and still no drones.

What am I doing wrong?

Silver badge
Facepalm

Well, most people don't pay much attention to Wang these days. Upgrade to something else, then hang that out the window.

Silver badge
Joke

lack of a good enough zoom?

Silver badge
Trollface

Your hands are too small.

PS. How much memory do I need if I just want to drop a bomb on one particular neighbour, what about a licence.

Silver badge

>Well, most people don't pay much attention to Wang these days. Upgrade to something else, then hang that out the window.

Hang out with Windows. Something exciting is bound to happen to you and "your" er, data.

Silver badge

Bah!

Speaking as an extremely hefty, extremely hairy, extremely superannuated male who really enjoys a nice shower: I'm ready for my close-up, Mr Dronetard. Are you?

Silver badge
Coat

Is it just me

... or does that picture resemble some evil alien creature with 4 wicked claws.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it just me

I had to have a second look, but yes, that does look like something evil that would chase you back to your Hogwarts dorm room, or you'd have some wicked marks on your bottom to show for your slowness!

Silver badge
Windows

yegad

Well. I'm not likely to be caught on drone video in the shower due to the simple fact that the bathrooms have no windows. Yeesh.

There are 4 or 5 drone owners in the area (mind you, we're talking the quad copter $269 on special at christmas type drones, NOT $6,500 units) and if even ONE of those is fired up one can pretty much hear it from 2 or 3 blocks away. (We've several large greenswards in the area, which is typically where these folk break out the drones for fun).

The drones that you'd need to be worried about spying on your dear sweet innocent daughter are the ones that make almost no noise. And as a result can carry just slightly more than a gram. And get caught in a breeze from the dog exhaling in the wrong direction. And fly for about 2 minutes.

In reality -- the biggest issue with drones in my books is idiots flying them in places where they could get whacked by an aircraft with real live people on board and possibly do damage causing said aircraft to fail. We've been through this argument dozens of times on this site and the assessment has been that "no way a drone can take out a plane", and "there are already laws".

I'll agree there are already laws (and since my middle one got one of those neat cheap at Christmas drones from a ...part time relative...,I know them), personally I think they need MUCH more teeth.

And while I'll agree that it would be fairly unlikely that his drone (range 150' not meters, weight about 470g, 99.9% plastic) will take out an aircraft by bouncing off the surface(s), I've seen one around the corner (easily 4' across, 6 props, likely in excess of 10lb) that could do some serious damage to either a small plane or even the engine on a jet.

Now. I've seen M2 drives out there with *decent* IO rates (no, not 4Gb/s) in the 1Tb to 2Tb range already -- admittedly 4K video would be pushing them rather hard, but I don't think that they'd be impossible to use --- I suppose it rather depends on the encoding that is being done on that video....

Anonymous Coward

The best defense against a bad guy with a drone

..is a good guy with a bigger drone :-)

Mushroom

If you're worried about Drones then you're going to poop yourself at these ... perfectly legal ... available from your local Curry's Digital for £220 and completely, and totally silent.

https://youtu.be/_P18JOsdlFU

Now stop worrying about noisy and heavily regulated Drones use! FFS.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018