back to article The Register's Top 20 Most-Commented Stories in 2016

Brexit and Windows 10 stories dominated reader discussions in 2016. It’s no surprise that the departure from the European Union of its second biggest economy should be a major talking point. It was the biggest political shock in the UK since 1945, few UK readers are unaffected, and it most likely terminates a political project …

Page:

1. Blofeld's Cat
    Pint

Predictions ...

Hopefully 2017 will be the year that LOHAN finally takes to the air.

Some other predictions [Gives psychic octopus a stir]:

• At least one government body will lose the personal details of their clients.
    • A telecom company will suffer a major outage.
    • A large corporation will expose the credit card details of their customers.
    In each case these events will only affect "a small number" of people and "lessons will be learned".

Happy New Year!

1. Marketing Hack Silver badge
      Flame

Re: Predictions ...

Have we even heard anything back fro the FAA about LOHAN, anything at all? At this pace, one can only thank God that the Wright Brothers never had to deal with the FAA, or we'd still be relying on trains and ocean liners.

1. Voyna i Mor Silver badge

At this pace, one can only thank God that the Wright Brothers never had to deal with the FAA, or we'd still be relying on trains and ocean liners.

Not God but the Arrow of Time and entropy, because the Wright brothers were the effective cause of the FAA, and in any case the FAA has an awful lot more entropy than the Wrights.

2. Wade Burchette

* Brexit will happen, for reals this time. And it won't be as good as the supporters said nor as bad as the dissenters said.

* Donald Trump will not make America great nor will he make America terrible. The people who supported him will find new irrational ways to love him while the people who hate him will find new irrational ways to hate him.

* 90% of the movies released in 2017 will be garbage.

* The majority this year's Super Bowl commercials will be terrible, again.

* Microsoft will still be too blind to realize how hated Windows 10 really is.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The people who supported him will find new irrational ways to love him [..]"

Alt-right commentators are already fearing a backlash when Trump fails to deliver to his hard core voters. They will possibly transfer their allegiance to an even more dangerous demagogue who will promise them a land of milk and honey and stoke their fears.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/27/alt-right-donald-trump-white-supremacy-backlash

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"fearing a backlash when Trump fails to deliver to his hard core voters."

Given his Bus remarks, are we talking a full f**ting here then?, not just a pu**y grab, to avoid disappointment.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Brexit will happen, for reals this time. And it won't be as good as the supporters said nor as bad as the dissenters said."

In 2017? Article 50 might be triggered then but the actual Brexit will take another 2 years. It's a slow motion train crash process. Just wait.

2. John H Woods Silver badge

Predictions for 2017

a) You'll still be ables to garner a few downvotes every time you suggest that no-one in their right mind would choose to use RAID5

b) Still no Brexit (I'm not saying that's good or bad, but I'm pretty sure the uncertainty and delay is worse than either leaving or remaining).

c) It still won't be economically feasible to wall off Mexico.

d) Less than 30 UK terrorism deaths and more than 1500 road deaths.

e) We won't need another leap second.

f) No UK government IT projects will come in on time or with a less than 10% overspend.

g) I'll be proved wrong on at least one of the foregoing and subjected to the obloquy of the commentard community.

3. Dr. G. Freeman

my Predictions

What I hope to see in 2017...

1. BOFH more than one in a green moon.

2. Sarah Bee, "The Moderatrix" re-hired.

3. LOHAN to fly, with a playmobil Lester on board.

4. Somebody presses the "Do not press" button at CERN, just to see what it does.

5. The government find 20p down the back of a sofa, and put it into UK Science.

6. El Reg launch that colouring book that was an April Fool.

7. I finally find a working desktop printer.

8. Some decent TV science programme on the BBC.

OK, The last one pushed the boundaries of the possible there.

1. Voyna i Mor Silver badge

Re: my Predictions

Somebody presses the "Do not press" button at CERN, just to see what it does.

I can tell you - it's the one that unleashes the planet-eating black holes.

Some decent TV science programme on the BBC

I feel that television stopped being a medium for conveying science about the time CGI was developed.

1. GrapeBunch Bronze badge

Re: my Predictions

Science programming: through the magic of Internet, I have been able to partake of world-wide TV science programming in English. The worst: USA. They leave out the interesting bits, because those might require an IQ of 80 to understand. Because commercials perhaps, they re-re-repeat everything so that at the end you have the attention span of a gnat. Not a gnu, a gnat. Hoping to be contradicted on this one. If you do contradict me, please include the name of the good USA-based TV science program(me) or I will downvote you. The best: Australia. My theory is that they know they only have half an hour for Science, so they bloody well give it fair dinkum. The programme's name is Catalyst. My own Canada "The Nature of Things" is still OK after almost 60 years. Great program on how beavers were tricked into building dams where the humans wanted them, eh.

Finally, Britain. One of the best of 2016 was the four-part "Walking Through Time" with Tori Herridge. Her persona as a no-nonsense but kindly "head girl" worked pretty well. Since this was Channel 4 rather than BBC, I can see where the criticisms arise. BBC's "Trust Me, I'm A Doctor" isn't exactly a science programme, but it does invoke the Scientific Method. And despite the "I'm" in the title, it is actually presented by four MDs, and perhaps that's where the rub lies. I've noticed that when BBC has an hour-long science programme with just one presenter, it tends to become too much about the presenter, and not enough about the science. Goofy or gormless, regional accent or too much mascara, self-important or condescending, it just gets in the way of science. But in executive summary, if you're disappointed in BBC science programming, thank the many-headed pasta deity that you don't live to the west and a bit south. And I'm not being Scilly.

4. Ian Emery Silver badge
    Alert

Still 12 hours to go

If we all try hard enough, we can get this past 279 comments and bugger the "Top 20 Comments List".

Batten down the hatches and start commentating.

BTW, My top prediction for 2017 -

Lots of well known people will die

Other people will wonder if this is the worst year EVER for well known people dying.

Sum pepl wil mayk u wonda if teh edukayzhun sistum is brok.

World ends 3 minutes after Trump gets his finger on the button.

5. Anonymous South African Coward Silver badge

Big cloud crash caused by rogue IoT frippery, forcing world+dog to rethink cloudy things.

6. Bob Rocket

To Brexit or Not To Brexit

I voted OUT because they wouldn't give us Boaty McBoatface

1. Hans 1 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: To Brexit or Not To Brexit

>I voted OUT because they wouldn't give us Boaty McBoatface

I did not vote, I was not registered because I do not care what you do over there ... I do not think I am alone, on this side of the Channel, to think that ... sérieusement, on s'en tape le coquillard, bon vent!

2. Voyna i Mor Silver badge

I voted OUT because they wouldn't give us Boaty McBoatface

Bloody élites giving us the illusion that voting makes a difference to anything.

3. Ian Emery Silver badge

Boaty McBoatface was never going to happen, you honestly think the cave dwellers in London would allow a SCOTTISH name??!!

Further predictions,

Brexit and Brexitina will become top ten baby names during 2017, with Brexitine surpassing the current council sink estate's "fav babbi" name" of "Crystal Meth".

1. GrapeBunch Bronze badge

Brexitina? Hmm. Brexit has caused some people who didn't do their paperwork in time to become ex-Brit's, Brexit and exBrit are anagrams. The name Brit(t) seems to be Scandinavian, rather than British. Brex sounds good to me, unless you want not to be teased about shampoo. Call a girl Brix because she's so sweet?

May we join the EU? We're in roughly the same direction as Iceland, only a bit further. Apocryphally, our country name comes from the Spanish "Aca nada." Nothing there. They knew nothing of snow.

4. Rich 11 Silver badge

I voted REMAIN because they wouldn't give us Boaty McBoatface

7. GrapeBunch Bronze badge
    Facepalm

OMG

I tripped over a site: http://vogonline.planning-register.co.uk and, thinking, wow! this is a sub-site of El Reg with extra satire and irony! How will I be able to stand it? Will I explode with joy? Enabling Vogon planning poetry with Vulture Capital?

Gosh, was I disappointed. It's the Vale of Glamorgan Online Planning site. Not amusing in its tiniest iota. There is no proper story under which to file this horrendous news, the broadest meta-story will have to do. And a Happy New Year to you all, if you can stand it. I know that I won't.

8. CookieMonster999

year of linux desktop ?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019