back to article Men! If you want to win at board games this Christmas, turn off the rock music – scientists

Chaps, listen. Are you sick of losing at Monopoly every Christmas? Do you dread the sight of backgammon or the sound of rattling Scrabble tiles? The trick to winning board games could be to avoid listening to rock music, apparently. Scientists at Imperial College London have teamed up with musicians from the Royal College of …

Page:

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Must admit, that was my first thought too. It wasn't a test of game playing, which is a more mental task, it was a test of manual dexterity. I'm sure the results are valid, just not for the claimed result.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mine had a "board" top section, with a nasty red plastic under-section. Maybe modern ones don't, but the 70's most certainly did.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Scientists at Imperial College London"

"The goal was to carefully remove plastic body parts from Cavity Sam, a worried-looking cartoon man, who has a red light bulb nose that lights up every time players touched the edge of a cavity opening with a pair of tweezers. And the players received a mild electric shock."

I doubt they even know what "Cavity Sam" is, in the UK it's called "Operation"

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: "Scientists at Imperial College London"

It sounds like they used a special version of the game too. IIRC the nose lights up and a buzzer sounds when you touch the edges. The player doesn't get a "mild electric shock".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it just me or.....

does anyone else find the center-parting cartoon bloke on the Operation game reminds them of comedian Michael McIntyre?

Just wondering.

3. Glenturret Single Malt

Says it all

"Men who listened to AC/DC....."

What did they expect to discover/

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Says it all

The players were on the highway to hell?

4. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Research suggestion...

Does Millie Jackson incite aggression at the Poker Table?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGJgyuAu6eo

[nsfw]

5. Baskitcaise
    Happy

Daisy??

How is it that nobody has commented on this name?

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Daisy??

Wasn't she the subject of Oleta Adams/Tears For Fears "Woman In Chains"?

Daisy...Chains .. oh never mind

Reminds me though of a very memorable gig @ Wembley Arena many moons ago...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon