back to article Hm, is that a minefield? Let me just throw my magic bomb-sniffing spinach over there

The humble spinach plant has been elevated into a bomb-sniffing sensor by embedding carbon nanotubes into its leaves. A group of researchers from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) found that spinach can be turned in a chemical sensor for nitroaromatic compounds – a chemical rarely found in nature, but often found in …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Real life usefulness

I think land mines are mostly plastic now because metal detectors.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Real life usefulness

Scatter the seeds from a small drone and then us a sensor equipped drone to spray a die over any area with bomb indications above the background level.

Careful this might actually be useful!

As it potentially would permit the planting of 'spinach' across a large area, leave it to grow and then survey to confirm whether either the area is clear of mines or identify the places where mines still lurk.

Mind you, I wonder what results they will get if they planted this across "Flander's fields"...

1. Toltec

Very, very clever

and useful in the same way that having body armour that is inpenetrable from the inside would be.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019