back to article Judge nailed for trying to bribe Fed with fizzy water (aka Bud Light)

A judge in North Carolina, US, has been convicted for attempting to bribe an FBI agent to pull his wife's text messages in exchange for two cases of flavored water – aka American light beer. Judge Arnold Jones II was found guilty of three charges related to his attempt convince an officer working with the FBI gang-busting task …

Silver badge

Remember...

... when you're out of Budweiser, it's tough Schlitz.

Silver badge

Re: Remember...

I have to have my bottled Schlitz sent in from out of state since it's not carried here.

It's the "old recipe" -great stuff.

But - great enough to bribe an officer of the law?

Where's the canoe icon when you need it?

Mistake made

Couple of cases of Scotch and you wouldn't have heard about it.

Silver badge

His mistake was he should o given him fosters. J/K

PS I've had a few beers from Africa that make bud seem like nectar from the gods. Imagine pouring bud on week old coffee grounds. Then add vinegar.

Bronze badge
Pint

A circular arguement

Fosters is the 'beer' so bad we sell it to Americans,

Americans are so ignorant about beer they buy Fosters.

Silver badge

Re: A circular arguement

I very rarely see people drinking fosters here in the states. In fact have not seen a fosters ad in ages.

Bearing in mind the fed's name, the judge should have bought a couple of slabs of Miller Lite and claimed he was just returning them to their owner, surely?

The most over blown reaction to:

Hey, wanna beer?

I think we should all stop taking the piss out of American beer or there'll be nothing left of it

UK just as bad

While its amusing to knock our American cousins and their "beer", lets not forget that the UK isn't much better, with the best selling "beers" being Stella Artois, Foster's, Carling & Carlsberg.

Re: UK just as bad

You all also forget about the massive microbrew scene rising in the US. Hipsters are learning that good money can be made by doing relatively small batches of top-quality stuff to sell at Whole Foods and in little pubs. There's a place not far from me that only sells what they brew in-house, and I've never had a bad beer there, although it's generally rather high-priced.

Silver badge

Re: UK just as bad

The US overtook Germany for number of breweries in 2005, and that growth hasn't stopped. Most of them don't sell as much beer as Budweiser spills on its loading docks but it's created a very diverse beer scene. The old Bud-and-Schlitz aisles of grocery stores have a) expanded, and b) gained dozens of new beer options.

You don't see those craft brews abroad very often because they can't afford to market overseas, while Budweiser can just mop up some loading dock spillage, rebottle it, and sell it to fund several marketing trips overseas.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017