back to article Command line coffee machine: Hacker shuns app so he can stay at the keyboard for longer

Zimperium researcher Simone Margaritelli has hacked his coffee machine finding a way to brew coffee using the command line. Margaritelli (@evilsocket) says he reverse engineered the app used to control the Smarter AM coffee machine. It means hackers can choose to ignore apps when they need a coffee and instead stumble over to …

Silver badge

Re: On the same network as the coffee machine...

"making coffee is hardly a big deal"

It's a very big deal in this house.

Which is why we try to keep it as simple as possible.

Complete with backup systems:

If the coffee machine fails, there's the kettle plus a cafetière (aka French Press).

If there's no electricity, there's the gas cooker plus aforementioned cafetière.

(Yes, we have a spare cafetière)

Facepalm

One of these thing is not like the other...

"His hacking did not uncover serious security bugs [...]"

"[...] but it would let fellow hackers on the same network as the coffee machine to mess with its firmware without requiring authentication, [...]"

That's literally the same sentence (plus the "access to port 2081 is completely unauthenticated")!

Have security standards changed over the weekend so that "free access on local network" is not a "serious issue" anymore?

Silver badge
Devil

Re: One of these thing is not like the other...

Compared to "free access via the Internet", "free access on local network" is not a serious issue.

It can be mitigated by securing your local network.

Silver badge

Not true IoT

If it doesn't have a gateway to a cloud server.

Re: Not true IoT

You think he hasn't got a port forward to set it off as he enters the building?

Security bug?

"His hacking did not uncover serious security bugs but it would let fellow hackers on the same network as the coffee machine to mess with its firmware without requiring authentication"

Personally i'd consider the ability to push new firmware to a device without authentication to be an extremely serious security bug... Your new firmware could do *anything(

Anonymous Coward

Re: Security bug?

Yeah, it could switch to decaff

Silver badge

Re: Security bug?

Don't even make jokes about such matters. Someone should report him.

Silver badge

"Would you like to play a game?"

I guess this beats dialing into WOPR even if my first item on the War Operation Plan Response prep list would be to make a pot of coffee.

Entity may be short and stout

That's all well and good, but does it implement RFC 2324?

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2324

Anonymous Coward

Re: Entity may be short and stout

That's all well and good, but does it implement RFC 2324?

If you can also get it to support RFC 6214 I would really be impressed, and it makes packet tracing easier. It may give the coffee a funny taste, though.

:)

Silver badge

Networked, but not joined up

> Since I work from home, most of the times ...

The guy wrote a command line app so he can spend more time bash[groan]-ing out code.

However, he still has to get up from his chair, walk over to the machine and collect his freshly brewed coffee.

A more sensible approach would simply be to put the machine near his desk.

Silver badge

Re: Networked, but not joined up

"A more sensible approach would simply be to put the machine near his desk."

That potentially takes "You owe me a new keyboard" to new levels.

Dad Joke:

Surely the hack was written in java?

Enquiring minds want to know

(so many comments & not yet one asking)

Will his coffee machine play Crysis ?

I feel inadequate

My coffee machine has just two buttons and two knobs. It's not networked at all. I feel like I'm missing out.

Coat

Re: I feel inadequate

"...and two knobs.." fnaar!

Mine's the one with a copy of Viz in the pocket...

Anonymous Coward

Don't worry, you're probably not missing out just because you don't have two knobs.

Silver badge
Coat

Don't worry, you're probably not missing out just because you don't have two knobs.

Ask a Kangaroo whether this is true......or maybe someone whose 'slept' with a kangaroo....

...ok, I've had too much coffee...I've my cloakroom ticket right here, Miss, no need to fetch the bouncers, and no, those aren't zoo staff chasing me.

Anonymous Coward

Mine has one knob, two buttons and a moveable but rigid foaming spout .. however the knob does switch two ways.

Anonymous Coward

Earth shattering news

I hacked my convection oven to roast a chicken tonight. I followed every instruction on the packet to the letter. My intervention though was actually opening the oven door to put the chicken in. This was not mentioned on the instructions. Do I get a Nobel award or at least a first class masters for innovation?

Hacking the Iotthe modern way.

Downvotes=approval

My oven is not an Iot thingy, but the packaging is right on

Pipes?

Does it support pipes? Maybe we can make C|N>K for real.

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/C/CNK.html

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Whatever

I do almost everything via the command line,

I also like coffee. In fact, I want one now.

*walks to kitchen. Gets coffee*

I'm back! Job done.

*sigh* And IT geeka wonder why the rest of the world laugh at us...

Silver badge
Gimp

If only...

The story just causes a pang in my chest. People go "Ho Ho that's Amusing" but it painfully underscores to me all the things the GUI mindset prevent from existing..

coffee make # yeah, but the app can do that so what's the point of a CLI?

sleep 3600 ; coffee make && mailx -s "Yo, coffee!" user </dev/null # Well, okay, that's more useful, but the App probly has that too

echo "coffee querylevel beans | grep -v full && sms linda 'Low on coffee. Can you pick some up on the way home?'" | at 4pm # Okay, look, that's in the next release.. but nobody wants it anyway!

smsrcv linda | grep -i "Buy your own *ing coffee" && amazon --autobuy coffee # Wait, what?

Imagination. Small bricks. 10 minutes. Huge possibilities. Permission denied.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017