back to article Jeff Bezos' thrusting cylinder makes Elon Musk's look minuscule

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos' space company Blue Origin has revealed designs for its first orbit-and-beyond-capable boosters. The “New Glenn” rocket is named in honour of first United States astronaut to orbit the Earth, John Glenn. The 82m-tall, two-stage craft will pack 3.85 million pounds of thrust. If it lifted today, that would …

Re: Paper rocket

ESA's Concurrent Design Facility - where they mess around with mission options* - at Estec may still be driven by Excel. Last thing I'm pretty sure was done with Excel was LISA Pathfinder but I suspect it's still in use.

* Not enough power... bigger solar panels... stronger reaction wheels... not enough room... shrink the batteries... more cooling?... move to the outside... They trade off design options on-the-fly. It's Excel AND cool.

Gold badge

It must be a right bugger getting all the power / size / weight / redundency trade-offs "right" on these things. For a given value of right, as there's no correct answer. Then for all the different instrument teams to come back saying can they please just have a bit more. Then after months of back and forward with that, you go to a funding committee who tell you to change everything as you're now going on a different rocket with more/less payload. Or to build that bit in this other country/constituency. Or that they want it all painted purple and shaped like Barney the dinosaur...

OK, that last one probably hasn't ever happened.

It certainly make the kind of engineering I do look bloody easy. Which, to be fair, it is. Otherwise I wouldn't be doing it. Plus, if I do screw up, I can apologise humbly, run the calcs again, and we can send an engineer round to replace the part with the right one. Our service engineer call-outs start at about £300, less outside central London, not sure what it is once you go past the asteroid belt.

I did once try to sell a pink water storage tank for a bet, but failed. Never any purple ones.

Silver badge

Excel...

I once directly controlled the lights in the building from Excel.

I had to take a shower afterwards.

Silver badge

Nothing intermediate?

It looks like Bezos is trying to go from the "dinky little" New Shepard to New Glenn in a single go. Which is like SpaceX going from Falcon 1 to Falcon Heavy in a single step. Seems a bit ambitious to me.

Silver badge

Re: Nothing intermediate?

Seeing the first prototypes blow up has a certain tradition...

Bronze badge

But can it land?

Blue Origin so far has only launched and landed sub-orbital rockets, right? Seems to me he could announce a rocket capable of launching the Pentagon into orbit, but until it flies it's just an announcement.

Seeing as SpaceX has actually reached earth orbit and returned (although damaged), I'm not sure Musk is sweating just yet. Plus, if Musk's rhetoric is honest, competition is good, that's the whole reason he's doing what he's doing, to open up space to a greater audience.

Re: But can it land?

I tell you what if it could launch Westminster Palace instead of the Pentagon in to orbit I'd crowd fund the shit out of it?

Silver badge

Nothing beats a Saturn 5

And for a while, I doubt that anything will.

Given that the Saturn 5 was made with 1960's technology, it is pretty amazing. Werner did a very good job.

Re: Nothing beats a Saturn 5

Clint Boone and his Hammond organ did a great job with 1960's technology too.

Silver badge
Gimp

That photo looks like there is a can of Red Bull lifting off.

I sense a marketing opportunity...

Re: That photo looks like there is a can of Red Bull lifting off.

Wait until late September, when Musk hopefully announces the BFR. Probably shorter than the Sat5, but much wider. Will make the diagram much more interesting. And yes, it is missing the SLS

I'll believe it...

...when he flies it.

Silver badge

Re: I'll believe it...

His ambition has already flown halfway to infinity. Doesn't that count?

"I'll Take Some E Pluribus....but Hold the Unum" at CanadaFreePress

The Rothschild monopolists set up US fronts Rockefeller and Morgan who then monopolized US banking, steel, rail and press. These elitists captured and controlled Edison, Westinghouse, stole patents to create Bell Telephone and noble fraud Marconi. All current monopolists were preselected.

The clue is in the name

Anybody else think this isn't my tin-foil hat talking?

Shepard -> sub-orbital

Glenn -> orbital

Armstrong -> moon landing... crikey.

anyone else

Think of this as a giant rocket cock

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017