back to article Windows 10: Happy with Anniversary Update?

One year after the launch of Windows 10, Microsoft has released the Anniversary Update, bringing new features as well as usability tweaks to the operating system. Windows 10 was always more than just another release. Notable innovations include the concept of Windows-as-a-service, with regular updates (free for consumer …

Page:

1. nematoad
          FAIL

Re: Bing had better 'techy' results for me, than Google for the first time this week.

"BS! Do you not re-install Windows when you get a computer..."

Nope, I build my own, then like the OS I use I know exactly what's in there

Don't judge others by your own standards.

1. JLV
      Happy

Re: Bing had better 'techy' results for me, than Google for the first time this week.

To each his own, but I can think of safer things than trawling random forums for EXEs to run on a Windows PC. Or any OS, actually.

Doesn't excuse Google's nearsightedness in the matter, but still ;-l

1. Mark 85

I agree in principle but there are times when you need to run a fix and aren't sure where it 's located.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You still download the exe file from HP, via the ftp site, you're not randomly downloading exe files from third party servers. The problem is on some older kit they have now removed the description / Driver Support Page, so you just relying on SPXXXX.exe. Bing will give you the SP description you need to work back. Google no longer does, it used to. i.e. 'Lobotomised Google'. Its just one niche example, but its a trend I'm noticing.

Google Search is definitely delivering 'selective content'', much like North Korea. Google maybe, are been over cautious regarding '.exe' because of the association with Piracy and Malware content.

It's this 'we know best' (Goverment led) blunt instrument which is annoying.

1. Jedipadawan

Don't care!

And so glad I don't have to care.

Jumped to Linux Mint KDE in 2012 and haven't looked back.

The wife loves it.

No more spaghetti UI!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't care!

Well whoop de shit for you.

Why do you fucking linux tards feel you HAVE to pipe up about your "alternative OS to windows, m'kay"??

Did you see the title of the story? Does it mention penguins? No, it doesn't, so why do you constantly feel the need to jump in and proffess how much fucking happier you are??

1. hplasm
        Windows

"Well whoop de shit for you...."

Another satisfied MS user said today.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"...how much fucking happier you are??"

Well judging by the wording of the two posts above he's obviously a lot happier than you are, so perhaps there's some merit in it?

1. Steve Crook

> so perhaps there's some merit in it?

True, but would make more sense if it was part of a 'what's the best Linux GUI for my wife' thread. It's about as tiresome (from repetition) as the M$ that was (is?) so dear to some commentards.

At least Eadon had class....

1. Captain DaFt

"At least Eadon had class...."

Whaaa?

Well, there goes your credibility.

3. nematoad
        Windows

"...feel you HAVE to pipe up about your "alternative OS to windows, m'kay"??"

Sorry, I didn't realise that this was a private forum.

I also apologise for intruding into private grief.

4. TVU Silver badge

"Why do you fucking linux tards feel you HAVE to pipe up about your "alternative OS to windows, m'kay"??"

Hmmm - how about it's because we have a far more secure OS that uses a more logical file system so we're much less prone to malware and we need to spend far less time on security and system maintenance during the working week. Not only that, we can customise and arrange our desktop how we like for maximum work efficiency and that cannot be done nearly as well in windows.

2. Patrician
      Facepalm

And there it is, the inevitable "I switched to Linux <insert distro here> and now my shit smells off lavender comment!

3. Just Enough
      Gimp

Why are newly converted Linux zealots so totally fixated on commenting on Windows 10 articles?

You've switched to Linux. Well done. Have a lollipop. There is therefore very little in this article to interest you. And you don't care. So why are you here?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Schadenfreude.

2. Teiwaz

"Why are newly converted Linux zealots so totally fixated on commenting on Windows 10 articles?"

Because they might have switched at home, but at work, their PHB won't consider it in a primarily Windows shop so they end up still having to put up with Windows?

Because they might have been afraid to try it for years, then summoned the courage, made the switch and hope to reach others in the same position they were in a while back?

There's to 'Why's off the top of my head. I converted 16 years ago, but I'm still interested in what's going on with Windows, even if it sometimes feels like gawking out the window at a serious car crash.

1. Richard Jones 1
          Happy

That talk of all those car crashes reminded me of my time in Iran, Shiraz actually with crashes laid on outside the cafe window, perhaps not for entertainment. If service was normal we would see only three but often four. We never got the one crash or two crash service. Thank goodness five and six never happened either.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Because they might have switched at home, but at work..."

... they are requested to do something productive? And in a network with some more machine than their home?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why are they here?

Is it possible that they come to gloat over how they've escaped the MS Borg at long last?

There are other escapees apart from those who have jumped to the Penguin and/or BSD and that is those who have gone over to the other dark side namely, Apple.

I gave up on windows for personal use back in 2008. Now I use OSX on my Laptop and CentOS on my servers.

I sort of feel sad the direction that MS is going in. They could have done so much better but with all this spyware (sorry telemetary to imptove the user experience) I am not surprised by the hate that IT people have for Microsoft in relation to windows 10.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it possible that they come to gloat over how they've escaped the MS Borg at long last?

So just trolling then? Albeit effectively.

Wouldn't it be the ultimate irony, if Windows 10 creates the year of the linux desktop? Yeah, you just hold your breath, it'll be along any minute now.....

2. azaks

Its ironic though, innit?

People who proudly claim that they don't use w10 showing up time and time again to comment on it to people that do. And telling them over and over again how bad their experience must be, when it isn't.

Your a bit like the annoying, overly-flamboyant drunk at the bar. One part of me wants to give them a swift punch to the face to make the world a better place. Another part feels pity, and wants to take them aside for a quiet word to help them save the little dignity they have left. But the greater part of me just wants them to fuck off, and go and bore someone else. A bit like you lot ;-)

1. Geoffrey W
            Linux

Isn't it amazing how about 0.000003 % of the user base, or whatever share Linux has today, can make so much noise. It's like they are tired of sitting in their dark little corner and want to jump up and down and shout "I'M HERE! I EXIST! LOOK AT ME!!!!"

4. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Mushroom

"newly converted Linux zealots " " So why are you here?"

human nature. 'share' with others what you like. try to convince others of what you've discovered. It's a strange form of 'political correctness' to try and silence open source advocates. Let people say what they want to, even if you do NOT agree. that would be true "free speech". [making counterpoints would ALSO be 'free speech']

I disagree with the general tone of the article. I think that Win-10-nic is nothing BUT fail on ALL levels, with the exception of the multiple desktop feature, the ONLY redeeming feature I could think of [and I really honestly gave it a try]. NOW it's getting WORSE, where fanbois of 10 _HAD_ been saying "you can turn it off" with respect to the ads and tracking. But we already KNOW from previous El Reg (and other) articles, that only Enterprise [for which you can't get just ONE license for YOU] or Educational [claim to be 'a school' maybe?] versions can shut off the more heinous "features" of Win-10-nic.

So why am _I_ here? Because I _WANT_ to be. Too bad.

5. DanceMan

Re: So why are you here?

Even though I've switched to linux, Windows is still on many of my computers, and being by far the dominant OS in use I cannot avoid it, nor can I ignore it. That's why *I'm* here.

4. phuzz Silver badge
      Stop

I like Mint, I use it a lot at work, but I can't claim with a straight face that the GUI makes any more sense than Win10.

Both OSs have a generally well thought out main interface, but both have odd inconsistencies where older UI systems are still used for some backwards compatibility related reason. With Windows you've got the registry instead of config files which may or may not be better depending on what you prefer, but with either Mint or Win10, you're still going to have to resort to fiddling with things by hand in a registry/text editor.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bit of a strange statement you HAVEN'T LOOKED BACK yet your posting on a Windows article another unhappy with Linux person quite a few on here.

It amazes me how many Linux,Apple and Android users post on M/S Windows articles and then try to pass on there no so extensive knowledge about Windows and as to why you should not use it (idiots)

1. nematoad
        Headmaster

"...and then try to pass on there no [sic] so extensive knowledge about Windows..."

Or even those who don't seem to grasp the difference between there, their and they're.

Stones, glass houses etc.

6. druck Silver badge
      Coat

Not upgrading to Windows 10 is a bit like Brexit. When the EU announces more harmful directives aimed at creating all encompassing super-state, you can just sit back and be glad you got off that train at the last station.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Wrong way around there, MS is Europe in this metaphor

7. disinterested observer
      Meh

Stewardess - we have a medical emergency! Is there a doctor on the flight?

Vegan - I'm a vegan.

Q: How can you tell when someone has an iPhone?

A: They tell you.

And finally, bash in Win10 means you finally got the year of linux on the desktop. And millions of users are running it. And they all paid Microsoft for it.

How do you feel. Tell me now, how do you feel.

2. VinceH

"Notable innovations include the concept of Windows-as-a-service"

Where's the innovation in promising to provide useful updates "for the life of the device" compared to what they did before, which was providing updates for the supported life of the OS? (And how does that make it a "service" - at least any more or less than it was before?)

The only difference AFAICS was the control users could choose to have over the update process. Perhaps, from Microsoft's point of view, that's the innovation - taking control from end users and keeping it for themselves.

1. sabroni Silver badge

re: Where's the innovation in promising to provide useful updates.....

...."for the life of the device" compared to what they did before, which was providing updates for the supported life of the OS?

The "innovation" is the bit where they don't market a new versions of the OS, just tweak 10. Previously they'd release a new version of Windows every couple of years. It's pretty straightforward.

Compared to Android offering updates "for the life of the device" is innovative.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: re: Where's the innovation in promising to provide useful updates.....

The chief difference between offering new versions of the OS and just having continuous evolution in Windows 10, is that in the former case the customer can refuse to update. In the latter, it just happens whether they wish it or not. In a technical sense, there's not much difference between how updates are done.

2. Chris King

Re: re: Where's the innovation in promising to provide useful updates.....

Compared to Android offering updates "for the life of the device" is innovative.

With some brands/models that means someone waving them off at the factory gates, shouting "Bye-bye little phones, you're dead to us now" ?

2. Teiwaz

And how does that make it a "service?

Ah, this is where people always get confused.

It helps to look at as in when a Bull 'services' a Cow, then it makes perfect sense.

1. Geoffrey W

Re: And how does that make it a "service?

RE: "It helps to look at as in when a Bull 'services' a Cow, then it makes perfect sense."

Ahhh. So sex is a bad thing? I must be doing it wrong.

1. Mark 85

RE: "It helps to look at as in when a Bull 'services' a Cow, then it makes perfect sense."

Ahhh. So sex is a bad thing? I must be doing it wrong.

If you're of the bovine species, you're doing fine. But if you are of the bovine species, why are you here unless you work in marketing that is?

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Where's the innovation..."

You're asking the wrong question. The correct question is "a service to whom?" and the answer, of course, is Microsoft. Windows 10 is a service allowing Microsoft access to the users' computers and so to the users themselves.

1. VinceH
        Thumb Up

"Windows 10 is a service allowing Microsoft access to the users' computers and so to the users themselves."

Quite - though I think Teiwaz's way of looking at it is more fitting!

2. nijam Silver badge

> Windows 10 is a service allowing Microsoft access to the users' computers

It's a bot herder!

3. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Calling a number...

uselessly opened the Google Chrome browser for reasons that I have yet to uncover.

Sounds like Chrome needlessly hijacked the 'tel:' URL protocol (RFC 3966) when you installed it.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Sounds like Chrome needlessly hijacked the 'tel:' URL protocol

You're saying that Chrome did something wrong?

Wow. Downvotes incoming.....

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Sounds like Chrome needlessly hijacked the 'tel:' URL protocol

No, I think most people have largely woken up to the fact that Google are now a "Bad Guy". The key task that still needs to be accomplished is to get people to realize that this doesn't make anyone else a "Good Guy". People love their vendor vs. vendor arguments... They need to realise - it can be neither.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: I think most people have largely woken up to the fact that Google are now a "Bad Guy".

Not if the posters on here are anything to go by.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sounds like Chrome needlessly hijacked...

"needlessly"? Chrome has its own reason to hijack anything useful to track your behaviour. Telephone numbers you're going to call? SLURP!!!

4. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

Longpath support has never been a problem, if the app is correctly written

Longpath support has never been a problem in Windows, please see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx

'In the Windows API (with some exceptions discussed in the following paragraphs), the maximum length for a path is MAX_PATH, which is defined as 260 characters. '

'The Windows API has many functions that also have Unicode versions to permit an extended-length path for a maximum total path length of 32,767 characters. This type of path is composed of components separated by backslashes, each up to the value returned in the lpMaximumComponentLength parameter of the GetVolumeInformation function (this value is commonly 255 characters). To specify an extended-length path, use the "\\?\" prefix. For example, "\\?\D:\very long path".'

Although, as mentioned 'Starting in Windows 10, version 1607, MAX_PATH limitations have been removed from common Win32 file and directory functions. However, you must opt-in to the new behavior.'

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Longpath support has never been a problem, if the app is correctly written

I would assume this is all the more reason for "All your base are belong to us". No point sniffing files if someone can hide it in a very long path and use custom software to access it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I would assume this is all the more reason for "All your base are belong to us".

Posting gibberish? Post anonymous.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Longpath support has never been a problem, if the app is correctly written

But does this work in File Explorer ?!

5. djstardust

Not appealing at all

From a recommendation in another thread I just got a last year model Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 12 with Win 7 Pro 64 bit on it.

It flies like a train and the OS is clean and functional.

I'm so happy with it and I'm going to order another one to replace my Win 8.1 DJ machine.

The fact I'm so happy with Win 7 in 2016 just shows where it has all gone horribly wrong for Microsoft.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like