back to article Ditch your Macs, Dell tells EMC staff

Staff at EMC who go out into the world to meet customers have been told their Apple Macs aren't allowed to come with them. Amid Dell's looming takeover of EMC, an edict has been issued insisting that Dell customers must only ever see Dell laptops during meetings and consulting engagements, EMC insiders have told The Register …

Page:

1. macjules

Unless BYOD stands for Bring Your Own Dell ...

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Simple solution

Teamviewer back to your Mac sitting on comfortably on your desk...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

XPS aren't gaming machines

They are designed to be the "stylish" line of Dell laptops. Alienware is the gaming line.

1. 404

Re: XPS aren't gaming machines

The XPS line *were* Dell's gaming rigs before they bought out Alienware. History.

1. Hans 1
        Joke

Re: XPS aren't gaming machines

>The XPS line *were* Dell's gaming rigs

there, says it all, thanks for confirming ... XPS line are NOT gaming machines!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So what happens to the thousands of us EMC'ers with the lenovo rubbish? Right now I have 2 lenovo laptops,1 dock, 2 screens a keyboard and a mouse all sporting the lenovo brand.... Im not customer facing does that mean I'll be left with the lenovo gear until its EOL?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Nano nano

Apple's OS refuses to run on other hardware.

Other OSs don't mind running on compatible (ie x86) hardware

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple's os doesn't mind running on x86 either. The incompatibilities are for graphics cards, wifi etc. If your device has graphics cards, wifi, etc that are the same as those used in a Mac model, MacOS runs fairly easily.

The real issue for a corporate would be the licensing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

From my experience, for research purposes, it is possible to get OSX to play nicely on a non mac x86 machine if you are strict with your hardware shopping list.

However, as you mention, one downside is licencing, the other is updates - if an exploit is patched and sent as an official update, the hackintosh kernels don't phone home to Cupertino and so don't neccessarily get the same updates.

5. disgruntled yank

branding

Some years ago there was a lawsuit in the US, arising from fiddling with the brand markings of sports shoes. As I recall it, somebody under contract with one of the big manufacturers was wearing shoes made by another, then fiddling them to look like the first one's. I think that it was the second manufacturer that sued.

As for me, neither Apple nor Dell is offering me endorsement money to be soon in public with its goods. Until that happens, I'll use what I use.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: branding

"As for me, neither Apple nor Dell is offering me endorsement money to be soon in public with its goods. Until that happens, I'll use what I use."

Do you work for Dell / EMC public facing team?

if yes, you WILL use it or find another Job. If not, your statement is utterly pointless.

6. Alan Edwards

Stickers don't work

They do it all the time on TV, covering the Apple logo with a grey sticker. It just makes you go "Nice MacBook Pro, logo's covered so Apple must have said No'.

It would be obvious once MacOS fires up anyway.

What they should do is say 'You can use your own machine but we'd rather you carry a Dell, here's a healthy discount on an XPS or Precision'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stickers don't work

You are issued a company owned portable system, no need to buy anything at all if you can manage the corporate image.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stickers don't work

Or when they cover over badges of recognisable cars.

Then again, the alternative is the likes of the Alex Politzi hotel/restaurant programmes which look like an Audi advert sometimes, wonder how many free vehicles she gets out of it?

7. PickledAardvark

Show, don't just tell

If the job can be done as efficiently using a cheap Windows laptop, show your staff how to do it. If they can't do it, ask yourself why.

Personally, I have little tolerance for support staff who insist on running "something special". I'll give some freedom for more RAM and a beefier processor in order to run different VMs, but the base OS and environment on the VMs should be what the customer or end user is using. When things go wrong, support staff should be the first to spot problems because they are using those services to do their jobs.

1. Stevie

Re: Show, don't just tell

Yep. Years ago my brother in law formed a company to do web design. His partner persuaded him to buy (bil was putting up the VC) Mac G3s because " they were the best".

He didn't seem to have considered that anything they designed would be viewed mostly on PCs and that he would need to "sanity check" everything on a PC anyway. He was convinced that the software they were using "was only available on the Mac" and was nonplussed (I'd always wondered what that looked like) when I showed him that not only was I running that very product on my old XP machine, I was running a better version than he had.

And I lost count of the times he arrived on my doorstep begging to use my "crappy" XP machine to do something because he either didn't have the software to do it himself or his machine was back in at CompUSA waiting for "the Mac guy" to show up - he worked only on Tuesdays and only then if he felt like it.

And then the G3 power supply quit and he was faced with the standard Mac servicing fee hereabouts: 1 limb. I stupidly offered to open it up and take a look and got a first hand up-close-and-personal close encounter with the "better design". Suffice to say I wouldn't own a Mac on a bet afterwards.

1. PickledAardvark

I was shopping in Richer Sounds a few years ago when it was the UK's best high street seller of audio kit. There was a bloke in there asking for their worst set of speakers. He was a recording engineer and he wanted an artist to hear how his/her music would be played by a typical consumer.

1. TRT Silver badge

I just did a little moonlighting job tidying up the cables behind someone's Home Entertainment system because they were having an argument with the cleaner over them not sweeping under the spaghetti (yeah, he's a bit of an arsehole). Anyway, they'd spent £9k down at the Sony shop back in 2010, DVD player, top-of-the-line 5+1 Home Cinema amp & mahoosive speakers, big plasma screen job.

I had to ask him who he'd pissed off down there, because the amp had never been wired in at all and the speaker cables had not a single clamp or screw mark on them.

"You didn't notice that your £9k surround sound system sounded like an couple of earbuds sat in coffee cans?"

"No, the guy from the shop told me it was all good to go."

"And the fact that the remote volume control didn't move the knob on the amplifier?"

"Is it supposed to do that?"

"And that the scary bits in Aliens you didn't hear the slavering beasties sneaking up on you from behind and breathing down your neck?"

"I don't watch those kinds of films. I just watch the news mainly, and the wife watches the odd Bollywood."

*facepalm*

*realisation... money to burn*

"Well, it's all working now. That'll be £500 please."

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not just Mac

A company supplied system from Dell also has a custom OS image on it and is pretty locked down regarding what you can and can't install or run. Local admin status for your workstation is severely crippled if it is granted at all. A non standard image will have a lot of issues trying to connect to corporate via VPN. But with that many employees for the under appreciated and understaffed IT support team to service, the rules and policies are understandable if not enjoyable.

The funny thing is that more than a few Dell Sales engineers are sharp enough to know the workarounds to at least run the OS they prefer and are able to install and run tools they need...Its a tribal knowledge thing and I sure won't spoil it...but for the new EMCers that actually hang around, a quick question over drinks at Tech Summit to the right folks will yield interesting options.

1. PickledAardvark

Re: Not just Mac

For £10 a seat, you can buy privilege management software for a Windows PC. It'll allow users to elevate privilege for specific applications and installers -- to extend the capability of a standard build PC without every user being Administrator. It's not difficult.

2. Antron Argaiv Silver badge

Re: Not just Mac

"A company supplied system from Dell also has a custom OS image on it and is pretty locked down regarding what you can and can't install or run. Local admin status for your workstation is severely crippled if it is granted at all. "

Luckily, Dell makes it very easy to change HDDs. One with the corporate image, one with your choice of OS. Same laptop, two completely different personalities! :-)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lead balloon

That's going to go down like a lead balloon with the VMware staff. Pretty much everyone has a Mac these days.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lead balloon

Seeing as even their CEO carries a Mac, and they have escaped thus far from most of the restrictions placed on EMC employees, as a shareholder I would hope they continue to escape.

10. ThePhantom

Compaq did the same thing to Tandem Computers when they bought us, and it was field staff first followed by internal. We were located down Stevens Creek Blvd from Apple and besides the green screens for our mainframe systems, we were mostly an Apple shop so it was pretty wrenching for all of us.

11. Howard Hanek
    Childcatcher

Well You CAN Fake It

Slap a Dell lid cover decal over that Macbook........

1. Tim99 Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Well You CAN Fake It

I'd do a bit more. Hide the task bar, change the desktop to a blue background, make sure that your common programs run in a full screen; and if asked about your snazzy system say that it is the new Windows 10 Anniversary Edition.

12. mrvco

I'd suggest that Dell take a long, hard look at why, given the choice, people choose Mac. (not that they haven't of course, but soldier on!)

Having several Macs and a Win10 machine under my personal care... It's the operating system stupid!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing special

Our corporate standard is HP whatever we have left in the warehouse...

The Lenovo team have Lenovo laptops

The Apple team have Apple

Many of us in IT are luckily enough to have monster ZBooks (sales people said they were too heavy)

And the directors have HP Spectres

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Nothing special

And the directors have HP Spectres

Isn't that always the way? The guys who need the absolute least horsepower (their secretaries/PAs do all the real work) get the latest, hottest, highest res machines...to watch movies (and Powerpoints) on.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

After experiencing the Win 10-related productivity dropoff...

Dell's going to announce that employees can have their Macs back :)

(OK, that was gratuitous, but Win 10 really is a cluster of sour notes being sold as a symphony.)

15. W. Anderson

Dell's Microsoft dilemma

No matter the power of Dells being offered to EMC staff, these alternative computing devices cannot honestly be considered as " nice replacement kit" when they still run Microsoft Windows operating System (OS) software, which is probably the reason these EMC folk chose Apple in first place.

The fact that Dell has placed it's complete being and soul in the hands of Microsoft, for Server OS, Mobile (Wow!) and most likely storage software shows that they have no regard for the most advanced, efficient/high performance , reliable and secure EMC solutions based on Linux, and for Apple iOS/Android Mobile platforms.

Denial is not a river in Egypt, it is the disconnect from reality being exhibited by Dell in their servile relations with Redmond.

Sad and sic.

1. Hans 1

Re: Dell's Microsoft dilemma

Upvoted, Mr Anderson!

16. Zed Zee

What's the fuss?!

I really don't see a problem here. All vendors have a preference, their own deals for notebooks or happen to be manufacturers themselves; if Apple acquired EMC, I doubt they'd leave them using Dell/Lenovo notebooks, if the shoe was on the other foot.

Besides, for an industry that's supposed to be technical, I really don't see what the fuss is about using a PC from the fruity company that has the same guts as your average PC notebook, yet costs four times as much and runs a derivative environment that's based on a 50+ year old OS, with a silly and superfluous amount of GUI animations that makes me dizzy, everytime I see it.

Every Apple owner I know complains, after a year or so, that their Mac is "running slow" and it's off to the Apple Store, who will more than happily extort £100+ from them, to "fix the problem". The hang-up with anyone who moans about Windows/Linux is that they're a fashion victim - everyone's got an expensive PC (Apple Mac) so I should not feel left out.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cease and desist

As a Mac-touting pointy-haired Senior Manager at EMC, I can confirm that nothing has been said to anyone about ditching their Mac and that all of this is pure speculation. Only Sales and Pre-Sales are currently being issued with new Windows 7 Dell laptops.

I would also point out that this isn't really a suitable forum for this discussion.

1. David Glasgow

Re: Cease and desist

I beg to differ. Very interesting reading.

Carry on lads.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You can still quit your job at EMC and apply at NetApp. They love BSD based operating systems over there...

1. Hans 1
      Happy

>You can still quit your job at EMC and apply at NetApp.

Probably the safer option anyway as Dell will waste this acquisition.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like