back to article If we can't find a working SCSI cable, the company will close tomorrow

Welcome again to On-Call, our Friday fumble through memories of jobs on which things didn't go as planned. Or sometimes went in ways it's not possible to plan. This week, meet “Jean” who in the early noughties scored a gig as “a fairly new-to-the-game support engineer for a shifter of overpriced household furniture.” Jean …

Page:

1. Stoneshop
        Devil

Re: Start with the basics...

I'll think you'll find it's carrier sense (multiple access with collision detection)

Nope. There's a lot of connections that aren't, and those can be way more requiring of dark rituals (goats, black candles and pentagrams in the case of SCSI, for instance)

1. Down not across

Nope. There's a lot of connections that aren't, and those can be way more requiring of dark rituals (goats, black candles and pentagrams in the case of SCSI, for instance)

Surprisingly (or maybe not) large proportion of SCSI issues are down to termination (or lack of it). Often due to some people not understanding that the bus needs to terminated. Particularly mixing narrow and wide SCSI can easily trip people up.

Then there are the devices with internal/auto termination that doesn't. Been caught up by that enough times that I get very suspicious when no external terminator is present. Likewise I prefer active terminators to passive ones given a choice.

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

"Likewise I prefer active terminators to passive ones given a choice."

Considering that only SCSI-1 allowed passive termination, it wasn't a choice. Having a set of active terminators in the backpack was a must.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Years ago, had a PC with an internal SCSI drive. Worked fine with Win98 (said it was years ago!) A few months later, tried to upgrade to NT4. Couldn't even install it! However, once I installed the missing resistor-pack terminator thingy on the drive it worked...

2. Wensleydale Cheese
          Thumb Up

SCSI and goats

"SCSI is NOT magic. There are fundamental technical reasons why it is necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then."

-- John Woods

1. apraetor

Definitely. Particularly if you have recently been mucking about with connectors, installing new disks or cables.

2. Stoneshop

Always start with the physical layer, in the absence of any other clues. It's common sense, innit?

Which, four times out of five, is a physical entity calling itself 'engineer' or 'technician'.

3. DainB Bronze badge

95% of issues I've seen in datacenters were related to Layer 0 of OSI model.

Which is either the person who did Layer 1 cabling or the one who configured switches.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge

Re: DainB Re: Start with the basics...

"....cabling....." I'd suggest that's because cabling is usually done on the lowest bid because manglement don't realise that there is a vast difference in quality between cable manufacturers, let alone cable layers. The other contributor to such issues can be no rack cabling standards in use.

1. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Backups underwriters and overpriced household furniture

"He told us that if we don’t have a database backup by the end of the third night, the underwriters for the company insurance would pull our cover (including employer's liability) essentially putting the company out of business".

I've never heard of such a thing, do you have a link to the text of such a policy? I mean normally senior management are totally disinterested in the intricacies of IT backup maintenance. In fact most backup media out there are unrecoverable. Which won't be discovered until they have a major disaster.

1. Ol'Peculier

Re: Backups underwriters and overpriced household furniture

Agreed. Why would you even tell your insurers you had a backup issue?

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

"Agreed. Why would you even tell your insurers you had a backup issue?"

Well because if your trying to claim for "business losses due to losing all my data" then you'd have to tell them that, no ? Oh wait you mean Lie . i gotcha .

Yessir - we did have a backup but the burglars stole that as well.....

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As the originator of the story, I am indeed "Jean", I can tell you that when a company is putting something like £1m (Sterling) into a 6 month project that will transform their underlying data backbone, processes etc, then the beancounters and directors all, will take the quite sensible risk mitigation strategy of taking out Project Insurance to cover any eventualities. Of course, going through your existing supplier to get a better deal is good for the beancounter.

Add to this the fact that the head beancounter * was a whiny bitch, and a director of the company to boot, I'm sure the phrase due dilligence would probably be his mantra.

Anyway, since this took place in the middle of the project to migrate every single remote server and their databases into the head office "datacenter", the DB backups were of paramount importance. ,

Anon to protect my identity and the identity of the shoddy furniture shifters.

* The head beancounter once wanted to edit a few pictures he took on his digital camera, so bought a Photoshop to do it.

1. Adrian 4

Shoddy furniture shifters ?

How could it be anyone but MFI ?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Facepalm

> As the originator of the story, I am indeed "Jean"

Three days to migrate a data center and you brought in on the first day? Sounds like the place was being run under what I call 'crisis management'. That is the staff being continually kept in the dark, senior management engage in information hiding and projects being undertaken at the very last minute under the direct supervision of the senior clueless CIO, who only got the job cause he went to college with the owner. If so - then if you ever come across such a business in the future - run like hell.

3. J. R. Hartley

I'm Jean, and so's my wife.

1. Myvekk

But are you Jean or Gene?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(TV_series)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not 'disinterested', should be uninterested, or more truthfully, totally ignorant about IT. Disinterested means impartial.

3. Jan 0 Silver badge

@Walter Bishop

You don't for a moment think that an accountant might exaggerate to pile the pressure on? Oh wait, are _you_ an accountant?

4. Chris King

"He told us that if we don’t have a database backup by the end of the third night, the underwriters for the company insurance would pull our cover (including employer's liability) essentially putting the company out of business".

If the insurers are putting in clauses like that, then your bean-counters probably cheaped out on the policy and accepted such exclusions to keep the premiums down.

1. Rich 11

Which would explain why the bean-counter was getting twitchy and piling the pressure onto someone else.

1. Chris King

"Which would explain why the bean-counter was getting twitchy and piling the pressure onto someone else".

But three days ? How did they cope with things like Christmas, unless they paid someone to come in and perform/check backups ?!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

I remember a magazine in the nineties had a frebie on the cover: a mouseball-sized textured sphere with a hexagonal shaft.

Yep, it was actually a tool for cleaning the gunk off the rollers inside mice with a power drill.

Urgh, the horror of mechanical mice!

1. earl grey
              Facepalm

mechanical mice

Yeah, and don't forget to clean your mouse balls. Nothing worse.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Mechanical Mice

Always great fun when you open them up, cut the tracks on the pcb, and rewire it, swapping the X and Y axis.

Had half a dozen rigged like that to deal with users who had to be taught a lesson that didn't warrant the cattleprod.

1. J. R. Hartley

Re: Mechanical Mice

How very cunty. I like it.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"How did they cope with things like Christmas, unless they paid someone to come in and perform/check backups ?!"

My system does it over that period, tells me that it's suceeded and sends distress calls if anything goes wrong.

Christmas is easy.

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
    Childcatcher

When I was in sixth form, there was one computer where the mouse wasn't working.

I looked at it briefly, realised that the cleaners had unplugged it and bent a pin when re-inserting it (it was a 9 pin serial mouse).

Teacher looked over and saw I'd got the connector in my hand and asked what the problem was. He said "just get another one out of the cupboard", by which time I'd already got my multi-tool pliers out of my pocket and straightened the pin... "No, it's alright, I've fixed it already"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A 9-pin D connector on a serial mouse has a female connector (therefore no pins to bend). Maybe you mean PS/2?

1. TRT Silver badge

Mullered the socket, probably. One of my pet bugbears was the Art & Design students stretching their legs out under the desk and catching the wires from the keyboard and mouse that inevitably ended up dangling down back there. Pulled out of the ADB socket, caught on the excitingly chunky moulded casing and to all visual inspection appeared to still be plugged in.

2. Chris King

The mouse might have used a 9-pin D connector but connected via a proprietary card in the PC, aka "bus mouse". Most of the ones I saw back in the late 80's/early 90's were Microsoft InPort devices with round plugs, but I seem to recall some other brands used D plugs/sockets - and some of them used male/female the other way round to serial ports so they didn't get mixed up.

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Nope, very early mice were indeed serial devices using 9-pin "D" connectors (I have a genuine Microsoft Serial Mouse in a box in the loft somewhere).

2. Stoneshop

Bus mice

Most of the ones I saw back in the late 80's/early 90's were Microsoft InPort devices with round plugs, but I seem to recall some other brands used D plugs/sockets

Even the MS bus mouse card had room for a DB9 connector, but on all the ones I've seen it wasn't fitted, and no cutout in the slot bracket. There's a Siemens-branded Logitech bus mouse around that has a (male) DB9, but the matching card has gone missing. They probably switched from DB9 to mini-DIN because a bus mouse plugged into a CGA or Hercules card doesn't quite work like one would want.

And the first mouse I bought was a bus mouse with a mini-DIN plug, with a bus-to-DB25 converter block and a DB25 -DB9 pigtail.

3. waldo kitty
        Facepalm

A 9-pin D connector on a serial mouse has a female connector (therefore no pins to bend). Maybe you mean PS/2?

ummm... connectors have two pieces... a socket and a plug... the other piece of the connector in this case has pins and getting a new mouse out of the cupboard would not have fixed the problem ;)

4. MOV r0,r0

Maybe a nine pin mini-DIN Acorn quadrature mouse lead? Unbent pins are OK until they break off inside the socket.

5. Alan Brown Silver badge

"A 9-pin D connector on a serial mouse has a female connector "

A 9-pin D connector on other types of mouse had a male connector.

2. Rich 11

When I was in sixth form, there was one computer where the mouse wasn't working.

When I was in sixth form, there weren't any computers!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"When I was in sixth form, there weren't any computers!"

I assume you meant there weren't any computers at your school. Unless you were in sixth form over seventy five years ago! :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I assume you meant there weren't any computers at your school. Unless you were in sixth form over seventy five years ago! :-)"

There were no computers at my grammar school in the late 1960s. Timetable was written by the lower 6th maths set after exams. We did have Brunswiga machines. In those days, IBM etc. did not have the same influence on school budgets that Apple seems to now.

1. Wensleydale Cheese
            Unhappy

"There were no computers at my grammar school in the late 1960s"

Circa 1971 someone "kindly" donated a computer that had been decommissioned from their workplace.

It was delivered in bits so what could have been an exciting project was thwarted by the cost of getting it put back together again by an engineer familiar with that kit.

It was still in bits a couple of years later when I left.

2. Anonymous IV

Malchronism

> > When I was in sixth form, there weren't any computers!

> I assume you meant there weren't any computers at your school. Unless you were in sixth form over seventy five years ago! :-)

Seeing as the IBM PC didn't come out in the US until November 1981*, and in the UK the next year, I fear that your date calculations have a very large rounding error.

* I had the edition of Byte to prove it, but it got nicked...

1. Another User

Re: Malchronism

Commodore PET 2001 was available 1977. It had 1 KB or 4 KB of RAM. Programmable calculators are even older. 75 years ago would've been a Zuse, Hollerith/IBM, Bletchley Park system. So, yes the dates are correct.

2. keithpeter Silver badge
        Coat

"When I was in sixth form, there weren't any computers!"

When I was in the 6th form the computer was a very nice old gentleman called Arthur Postwick, a retired bank clerk. He computed the tide tables up the hill at the observatory.

We used to chase geese at lunchtime to pull a feather to make a pen to write with.

Whose next?

Coat: mine's the one with the soldering iron and solder in one pocket and a set of tank cutters in the other/

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re when I was in the 6th form

Actually no computers at all - 45 years ago for me.

3. cosmogoblin

Yeah, as a teacher I can see his train of thought:

"Oh, that's my break time gone while I fix it, cos there's no chance if I call IT"

"Maybe I can fix it in class, I'll give the kid a spare in the meantime so he can get on with his work"

"Here you - oh you've fixed it already! I wish all my students were like this..."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One of the worst things that ever happened to me was defective cat5e cables. I got a call saying the server I replaced is not working right what did I do. Of course not working right is not at all vague. I found out that it's not connecting to the net work. No data is being passed. The LED link light is lit. I grab another cat5e cable. Still a no go. I use my cheap cable tester and it says the cable is good.I call it in thinking it's the NIC. I get a new NIC and plug it in same problem. I'm like hmm. Now seems like good time use the fluke cable tester I just bought. Bad cat5e cable. I go to my car use a known good cable and life is peachy. So I thought. I get a call saying the server is not working right. I get there and they replaced the cable I used with their own. I asked why did they replace the cable I used. They said it didn't match the color scheme. Fair enough. I pull out the fluke tester and yep bad cable. Their jaws dropped. Turns out they got a really great deal on a lot of 10 cat 5e cable from china.

Ok so it was not so bad for me but it was for the client.

1. Mine's a Large One

Dodgy cables

Had a contract years ago putting new kit into offices around the country, where I was informed at 16:00 on a Friday afternoon, that one of the other sites had reported some new Cat5e 110-RJ45 patch cables which were incorrectly wired at the 110 end. Only the 3m ones, mind... which I knew I needed about 80 of for work going on over that weekend to install and patch new PCs.

Grab a handful of cables at random, grab the tester, and a few minutes later I've about a dozen cables and each one's dodgy. Bugger. Cue several hours in a cold dark office with 120 patch cables (I did them all, just in case, and I think I only found 3 wired correctly), gently prising the fragile plastic clips on the 110 end to remove the cap, rewiring correctly and then replacing the cap. I recall leaving to drive the 130 miles home at around midnight. At least I got paid!!

2. Kevin Johnston

Not sure who this was more embarrassing for but I worked with a contractor who was a bit of a god on the systems we supported. Due to a small problem with renewing his contract he moved on and took the opportunity to try a different path by opening a shop. Knowing his IT he installed IP-based security cameras but despite testing fine on the bench they would not work when plumbed in. I went down to help him and made up some fresh cables which we initially tested out by laying them out on the floor and all worked fine. Fed the cables through and now all was perfect.

Tested the original cables and they were 'less than good' so I asked where he got them......came the reply B&Q.....I went home

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Alert

Re: AC

"Cat5e"? You were spoilt, lad! In my day, we had to get up an hour before went to bed, drink a cup of hot gravel, then go work 28 hours-a-day wi' IBM Token Ring. Ah, the horrors you young uns never saw.

1. Down not across

Re: AC

"Cat5e"? You were spoilt, lad! In my day, we had to get up an hour before went to bed, drink a cup of hot gravel, then go work 28 hours-a-day wi' IBM Token Ring. Ah, the horrors you young uns never saw.

I'll raise you 10BASE5 and joy of vampire taps.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like