back to article New DNA 'hard drive' could keep files intact for millions of years

Researchers at the University of Washington (UW) and Microsoft have managed to write data directly onto DNA, a format with dramatic storage densities and a very long life. The team wrote 200MB onto strands of synthetic DNA, including video footage of the band OK Go, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in more than 100 …

Page:

1. Maldax

Forget rise of the machines!

Just pop a DNA writer into skynets datacentre

2. phuzz Silver badge
    Unhappy

I have enough trouble with losing USB drives, imagine how many strands of DNA I can lose in my desk drawer.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Encode it into your DNA and you would be able to produce it on demand (at least if you're male).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Encode it into your DNA and you would be able to produce it on demand (at least if you're male)"

You would only have half of the data.

3. ChubbyBehemoth

What do you mean? You were out of sugar?

Hmm,.. seems a great way to add some petabytes to your coffee...

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Christian Berger

Well probably not as durable as the marketing blurb says

I mean we all have destroyed DNA, for example by cooking food. Ultraviolet radiation also is a problem. Essentially you'd get a storage medium which might hold its data for millions of years, but will quickly degrade when left out in the sun, or at temperatures higher than 40 degrees Celsius. It's also very susceptible to chemicals. Just about the only advantage is that you can make copies very easily. (even without a living being)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Junk DNA

So they're writing data via DNA using a heavily error corrected format. If preserved for a million years it would be readable, but unless someone knew the error correction format what you read would be gibberish.

Sort of like our so-called "junk DNA" - that almost certainly isn't "junk", but that fact likely won't stop alien conspiracy theorists from before long claiming our very DNA contains instructions to build a FTL communication device to call home to our "parents"...

7. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"The 200MB archive was stored on a piece of DNA the size of a couple of grains of sugar."

That sounds a little bit too large, at least in terms of volume. Or do they mean length of (uncurled) DNA strand compared to diameter of sugar grain?

8. NanoMeter

That's so cool

OK Go are as cool as they can be with their special videos.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spreading information

If this is integrated with viruses, a tough class COULD become something to sneeze at!

10. cd
    Coat

Maybe Theranos can repurpose their machines..."A full backup in a drop of blood"

11. You aint sin me, roit
    Coat

Infecting people with knowledge?

Microsoft working on a cure for stupidity?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like