back to article Tech firms reel from Leave's Brexit win

Tech firms are reeling at British voters’ decision to leave the single European market. Firms are rattled as Gartner has forecast that Britain’s tech buyers will now stop spending in 2016 and 2017, turning earlier growth numbers negative. Also of concern, hiring of EU workers, uncertainty over VAT levels and possible new …

Anonymous Coward

Re: Devops

Yep. The BOFH caught wind of that, realised the implications and *clicketty* updated a few election returns, *kzerrt* stunned a few remainders, and *clicketty* induced a cloud dropout (lidderally) that flooded London at an inopportune moment.

Turns out that operations can be run to prevent unwelcome developments.

Anonymous Coward

Bah

As a currently unemployed contractor finding the chances are dwindling...

Fuck.

Re: Bah

Are you anywhere near Cov son, cos we are recruiting loads, all of them seemingly Indian. I can only conclude UK contractors don't actually want the work.

Silver badge

>I can only conclude UK contractors don't actually want the work.

If you were in the US I would say it is probably due to the only an H1B would take this low wage aspect.

WTF?

I'm constantly sent info on contract jobs (not interested as I'm a permie) and those I know who did switch to the dark side don't seem to have any problem.

There doesn't seem to be a shortage of positions, maybe it's you?

As a UK contractor, I find the market continually buoyant, longest period without a contract for the last 5 years was 2 months...

What's your tech profile & where are you looking?

Silver badge

Implementing CRM systems for companies that now have to duplicate all their accounting and sales for their Eu and UK customers.

Without EU regulations to get in the way you can work in a food processing factory for 14 hours a day, 7 days a week in exchange for not enough money to even house and fed yourself. Or would it be better to emigrate? But you are kind of limited now to the US and Australia.

Pint

London Falling

I just had my job opportunities halved at a stroke by a bunch of spiteful shits who don't realise the EU was protecting them from being run into the ground.

EDIT: The thumbs down start already, but a lot of the areas that voted heavily for Exit are those were benefiting the most from the EU redevelopment funds. The reason they were getting those funds is because they were so staunchly for one party or the other they would always be passed over for the pork. At least the EU funds were (hopefully) awarded based on merit and how well you argued your case and not who you voted for.

I am now going to have some beer and a cry

Silver badge

Re: London Falling

"I just had my job opportunities halved at a stroke "

Really? Why's that then , do you work for EU funded quangos?

"benefiting the most from the EU redevelopment funds."

Ah, those would be the funds we send to brussels then get approx 40% back would it? How generous of them.

"I am now going to have some beer and a cry"

And people say real men are a dying breed. What could possibly give them that idea...

...and you naively believe that the funds we will no longer send to the EU will be deployed to help these areas and not line the pockets of more PFI managers and other hanger's on? We've already seen the backtracking of "more funds for the NHS" lie

Silver badge

Oh heavens, it's you.

I would say for those of us that work across Europe job opportunities have not been halved they have been decimated. I don't know why you (and other Brexiters) get worked up about the EU membership fees, after all the £160m/week pales into insignificance against the £280bn the Brexiters splurged in two hours this morning.

Good to see your winning personality remains as it ever was.

Bronze badge

" 'and a cry' And people say real men are a dying breed. What could possibly give them that idea..."

Boltar, what century or culture are you living in that you think men shouldn't admit to emotions?

Silver badge

"Boltar, what century or culture are you living in that you think men shouldn't admit to emotions?"

Crying over the outcome of a democratic a vote? Jesus H. Man up you metrosexual babies.

Silver badge

"I would say for those of us that work across Europe job opportunities have not been halved they have been decimated"

Oh boo hoo. I care about workers in this country, not itinerants like yourself for whom this country apparently isn't good enough.

"against the £280bn the Brexiters splurged in two hours this morning."

Equating consolidated share price drops with actual money is the most cynical sort of conflation. Do try a bit harder, assuming you even tried at all and weren't just parroting what you read in The Guardian.

Headmaster

'Decimation' means reducing by 1 in 10. That's what they did to Roman legions who hadn't tried hard enough. See me.

"And people say real men are a dying breed. What could possibly give them that idea..."

Ah yes, real men let twits with no understanding of economics, let alone international trade and regulatory subtleties kick them in their employment-chances bollocks without a complaint or a whimper.

"Please, sir, may I have another? I'm a Real Man™!"

Silver badge

Equating consolidated share price drops with actual money is the most cynical sort of conflation. Do try a bit harder, assuming you even tried at all and weren't just parroting what you read in The Guardian.

That deserves a thousand up votes, but evidently the democracy-haters of the Grauniad classes are out in force today, whining that you and I have signed the death warrant of civilisation simply by saying that we wanted our sovereignty back.

Rather amusing to see that po-faced SNP crone weeping that she wants another referendum, so that the Scots can have THEIR sovereignty back, simply in order to surrender it to Brussels. Braveheart, where are you?

On the plus side of that, we English won't have to subsidise the Scots any more, AND without a base for Trident we won't be able to replace the pointless trinket, saving (according to the Graun) over £200bn. What's not to like? The Northern Irish can unite with the EU south, and that'll be another half a billion we'll be better off. And the Welsh can follow the Scots, but lets not wait for a referendum, just send them an email telling them they've been dis-united.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: H in The Hague Re: London Falling

"......what century or culture are you living in that you think men shouldn't admit to emotions?" There is a big difference between (a) collapsing melodramatically in an emotional mess, and (b) admitting your feelings about a non-optimal situation but still dealing with the problem. The former seems to be more the Continental male norm, whereas the latter - "dealing with it" - is more accepted in the UK as "manly".

This was an advisory referendum only, with no force of law. The United Kingdom is not obligated to leave the EU.

Yes, a pro-separation change in government will soon take place. However, the more forcefully that the new government pushes for a full departure, the more forcefully Scotland and Northern Ireland will attempt to disentangle themselves from the United Kingdom.

Northern Ireland in particular might see a real increase in sectarian violence if EU separation is not handled with great care, so internal security and continental policy will become even deeper-entwined. These forces will certainly blunt immediate impulses towards separation.

The EU bureaucracy has allowed a large, hostile contingent to form in several European nations. Perhaps now an inward gaze, compelled by credible criticism, can form a more perfect union.

Silver badge

Salty tears are soo tasty!

upvoted you ... but decimation does sound bad!

Silver badge

>Salty tears are soo tasty

Don't have a dog in this fight and could care less but I do enjoy repeatedly pressing the crouch button taunting. Upvote for you.

Anonymous Coward

Re: H in The Hague London Falling

@Matt Bryant on emotions lol. Might want to leave that discussion for someone capable of empathy.

>we wanted our sovereignty back.

Which we're going to get by installing a prime minister no one voted for.

And having what's left of the UK economy consigned to the footnotes on the balance sheets of other countries.

Sovereignty? Why not demand the return of the Empire and compulsory bunting while you're at it?

'Decimation' has its root in 'removal of a tenth' but any dictionary will tell you that its modern meaning is to remove a substantial proportion.

Anonymous Coward

How much was that 340 million a week? Did any of you really think that any single entity was going to get all of that? That will go into government coffers and distributed as needed not just to the NHS. Possibly the bigger problems are that every Nation need to retake control of its Federal Reserve equivalent, break up Corporations that are too big to fail, and nationalize sensitive industries.

We have to have faith in our government(never trust those seeking power) to negotiate with Europe the right deal (unlikely to happen).

What we need is a free trade agreement, no tariffs with any EEA member, and freedom of movement for work, that gives us the benefits of the Eu without the politics.

Now i hope the EU mandate that any agreement requires us to remain signed up the the European Court of human rights.

But I would have preferred to stay in the EU,but we must work with what we have.

Butif European dries up in it, I can charge more to the remaining companies who need my skills!

No one has mentioned the reduced turnout in Scotland, only the percentage that voted in favour of the EU. One can only assume the remainder were too busy trying to score some skag or cheap lager.

Silver badge

"Rather amusing to see that po-faced SNP crone weeping that she wants another referendum, so that the Scots can have THEIR sovereignty back,

Wee Jimmy Krankie also seems to have forgotten that her and the rest of her 1970s tribute act party no longer have a majority in Hollyrood. So even if the scottish government did have the power to call for another scottish referenum - it doesn't , that lies with westminster, she couldn't make that decision anyway without putting it to a vote.

" simply in order to surrender it to Brussels. Braveheart, where are you?"

The scottish economy is virtually non existent. > 50% of people are in public sector jobs, there's little big industry to speak of and the oil price is in the toilet. They'd never make the entry requirements for the EU. The only way they'd get in is through Greek style slight of hand and once they are in, well if they think Westminster was tough, wait until EU austery gets put in place. There'll be fried mars bars being dropped in shock throughout the country.

Thumb Up

We need the common market, but not only we but all of Europe, and that's it, no more mega-european-government elite serving shenanigans.

Pint

I too will be having a beer and a sob, being the best part of 50 years of age and today employed by a French corporation; redundancy seems inevitable followed by a long period on the scrap heap of humanity.

Hoorraahh for brexit.

Gold badge
Unhappy

"Why not demand the return of the Empire and compulsory bunting while you're at it?"

You mean that's not what was being voted for?

Consciously or not restarting the British Empire seemed to be exactly what quite a lot of people seemed to be voting for.

I know, when you say it out loud it really does sound barking mad.

Because it is.

Silver badge

"The EU bureaucracy has allowed a large, hostile contingent to form in several European nations. Perhaps now an inward gaze, compelled by credible criticism, can form a more perfect union."

It'll probably take a couple more exits before they start thinking "Could it be something we said?". After all, when you know you're right you tend to adjust reality to match your views.

Silver badge

Salty tears are soo tasty!

Oh do get a grip. 1935 called, they want their newfangled memes back "dadio"...

Bronze badge

"Man up you metrosexual babies."

Excuse me, but I'm pretty sure it's us metrosexuals who are likely to be higher rate tax payers (and Remain voters) who are supporting the economically depressed Leave areas. And who might decide we would rather pay our taxes somewhere else (Canada looks quite attractive, though a bit chilly).

(Incidentally, this metrosexual may earn a living from the computer keyboard but can also weld, forge, lay bricks, fell trees and sew slubby doupion silk on the bias. So, dear Boltar, what are your skills?)

Hmm, that G&T was quite strong. Nurse, where are my pills?

"What we need is a free trade agreement, no tariffs with any EEA member, and freedom of movement for work"

Unlikely to be an option. Talking to drunken brexiters (ordinary working people not Eton trained profiteers) they predominantly wanted borders closed and specifically wanted to stop EU workers coming here. So focused on it that being told lies "didn't matter" and the suggestion they might also have been lied to about that, just brought blank expressions.

I'm almost looking forward to how Boris and his merry crew of pirates talk their way out of this one when the working brexit voters notice the borders not slamming shut and no one being sent home.

Re: fick godwin

hitler was democratically elected in '33

just sayin

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge
FAIL

'Decimation' means reducing by 1 in 10.

And the reason you though I was using the term incorrectly was?

I think it's a fair estimate, about a 10% drop in the use of English contractors, looking at the way my contracts across Europe have been divided. About 90% of the work has come from organisations who need an appropriately skilled native English speaker who are unlikely to be swayed by fact that a Brit is no longer an EU citizen. The remaining 10% from organisations that are only offering the work because they must give the job to an EU citizen. I think that's representative of EU jobs with only EU research centres and groups directly funded by the EU framework programme having a requirement to only employ EU citizens as contractors/staff.

It will be a setback, especially if you're in the 10%, but not terminal.

Nice to see someone being smug, pedantic and wrong all at once.

Anonymous Coward

Ledswinger: "And the Welsh can follow the Scots, but lets not wait for a referendum, just send them an email telling them they've been dis-united."

Aaaaand..... you just gave away your true colours.

The Welsh backed Brexit. Anyone who paid attention to the result knows this.

The only question is whether you're simply (but blatantly) ignorant or whether- let's be honest here- you're really just using the whole thing as an excuse for some nationalistic pub bluster against anyone who isn't English- the fact the Welsh voted alongside their Little Englander chums not being relevant here.

I suspect both, to be honest.

Change is a chance for the agile and alert to beat the status quo. Carpe Diem.

Silver badge

Not always.

Anonymous Coward

>Change is a chance for the agile and alert to beat the status quo.

Unless you happened to be near ground zero in Hiroshima.

Anonymous Coward

That was *Change You Can Believe In*

Silver badge

@DCfusor

thats the 1% we supposedly just voted our. What happens to the 99% or algae to keep up the alliteration?

Silver badge

"Change is a chance for the agile and alert to beat the status quo."

Bingo!

FFS Calm Down Kids!

People want to sell. People want to buy.

It will still happen.

Give it a month Morny Stannit will be clamouring to get back in.

Wankers.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017