back to article PM resigns as Britain votes to leave EU

The UK has voted to leave the European Union, confounding the polls, the "experts" and the British establishment in the biggest turnout for a vote here in 24 years. Prime Minister David Cameron announced his resignation at 8:30am this morning. The count stands at 51.9 per cent Leave, and 48.1 per cent remain – and more than a …

Page:

1. Mi Tasol

Re: We all know what happened

What it has come to is that a large percentage of the country are not necessarily racists, but complete idiots who bought the lies that the STAY campaigners unashamedly spun.

These were the same lies the anti EU campaigners told when Britain first joined the EU (or common market as it was then). They were lies then and they are lies now.

Did Lloyd's go to Europe? NO

Did any English banks or businesses move their head offices to Europe? NO

Etc Etc

Does the EU prohibit the making of old style English sausages, bananas over a certain size, etc, etc, from now being made or imported into the UK. YES

Staying in the EU will not address any of the challenges facing the UK in the 21st century.

BUT it will make it FAR easier in tackling them because the dead hands in Brussels will no longer be trying to balance 20 nations differing agendas. This means that decisions that now take years will only take months.

Those funny accented people that you up market Londoners never see, so cannot understand are the source of a percentage of our woes like a shortage of medical and educational facilities because the population has far outstripped the taxpayer base? They're not going back to where they came from, and no-one expects them to BUT others are not going keep flooding in.

This reduction will SLOWLY cause those here to assimilate more and cause many of the younger ones to adopt British ideals and, as the taxpayer base expands as a percentage of the population, allow for better education and medicine to again be provided.

So if that is what you voted against, you've been a mug.

Yes, many have got jobs and are a part of the economy that this vote has done its best to revive. No-one is going to require them to leave, any more than the millions of UK citizens in Europe are going to be forced back home.

And if you the EU has set up a fair society with progressive regulations you're an even bigger mug.

1. munkiepus

Not tarring everyone with the same brush, It's been said before: all brexiteers aren't racist but all racists are brexiteers.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

all brexiteers aren't racist but all racists are brexiteers.

No. Huge swathes of the Asian population voted remain. And you have no idea of the racism they rejoice in.

The koran is 80% hate speech, says one ex-muslim

Indias new goverment is profoundly anti-pakistan and anti-islam.

Sikh-pakistan gang rivalries are common on our streets.

You may have been conditioned to see racism as the property of the unsophisticated white lower classes. Don't be fooled. The unsophisticated brown lower classes are ten times worse...

Just look at the middle east! Its it a Peaceful Utopia? Hell no. Its seething along racial and religious fault lines, Communities that have been peaceful (if repressed) are now on the boil, and bringing their ethnic conflicts with them as they flee their homelands.

Why is xenophobia so common?

Could it be, that deep down in our subconscious, we know it makes sense? That the strange tribe is more likley to trespass on our property and mores, simply because it sees us as strangers, and has no loyalty towards us?

In this place, we reckon ourselves to be intelligent rational human beings. So lets start behaving like ones, instead of opening pre packaged microwavable instant 'all racists are brexiteers' knee jerk comments.

The world is not that simple, and all the easy problems were solved thousands of years ago. What we have left are the really hard problems, and there are two right stinkers in play right now.

One is summarised by Quis custodies ipsos custodiet? - How do we keep people we have appointed as public servants, from trying to initially rule us, and finally exploit us? The Iron Law of Oligarchy says that they inevitably will. Our only defence is democracy, and perhaps once in a lifetime, it really matters.

The second problem is the scarce resource problem : In general if there is enough of everything an entity needs to grow, it will grow. If it runs out of something vital, it cannot grow. Humanity has experienced dramatic and explosive growth, because it was short of one thing - energy - and the industrial revolution harnessed first coal, then oil, to allow it to reach new levels of population. That growth has, in the West largely halted for the last decade and a half. WE have run or are running out of something.

The politics and economics of expansion are well understood. Why not be nice to strangers. There's plenty of room and an extra pair of hands is always welcome. The politics of contraction are not so nice. Faced with an inability to bake a bigger cake, the game is zero sum. People end up fighting over crumbs.

Simple liberal ideology says we should divide the cake equally (but somehow we seem to be dividing it less equally the more 'liberal ideology' is in play,. and its the liberal ideologues who seem to get most of it), but is this, in the end, a successful strategy?

Which is more likely to survive? A society that has at least some well fed, well educated and healthy people, or a society where everyone is uniformly embroiled in poverty, ignorance and disease?

IN 6 decades I have watched adherence to these liberal ideals, transform the country where I live from one which had a privileged core of people who were better off in every sense and better able to manage its affairs, to one of almost uniform mediocrity. IN which almost no one is capable of managing its affairs, which seems to me why they are content to let Brussels do it for them.

And if you think I am arguing for am elite, damned right I am. What do you think we have now? When Diane Abbott, social justice warrior and one time Corbyn squeeze, gets to send her kids to a private school? The iron law of oligarchy says there will always be an elite, so stop believing there shouldn’t be one.

That is not the real problem. The real problem is in a time of diminishing expansion and scarce resources, what sort of elite should we have and how should we control them?

Well it seems to me - YMMV - that what we need is an elite that has the best problems solving ability of all, a very broad range of experience and is bound by a code of honour - my gosh, what a very old fashioned idea - a code of honour that says 'you can have your power and your wealth and your privilege, but it comes with a price tag attached, and that's called noblesse oblige The sworn duty of the elite to protect their people, come what may, no matter how squalid and plebby you think they are, because there but for the grace of god, go you.

And if you think Jean Claude Drunker, has an ounce of honour anywhere in his alcohol pickled body, you are welcome to emigrate.

Brexit isn't about what you think it is. It is a deep subconscious reaction to modern events and modern life, and a deep sense of anger and betrayal of the people by elites who have no honour, who have broken the oldest social contract in the book, that says 'I will work for you, and support you, and let you have all the trappings of wealth and power and privilege, if you look after me'

And the elite have trampled all over that contract. Have taken the wealth and the power and te priviilege,. moved it offshore and to Brussels and left the people to rot.

And to add insult to injury, they have said 'and if you dont like it, there's millions worse off than you who would kill for a chance to have what you have'

And imported them, and they have killed.

Which raises the final point to question the received wisdom of politically correct virtue signalling Leftism.

Does charity begin elsewhere? Or should we put our own people before those of other nations?

Well you can think in whatever ideological and abstract moral terms you like, but if you put other nations citizens in front of your own, you can't expect a huge amount of support from your own can you?

In the end what is likely to count is which societies survive and prosper and which disintegrate. Societies bound together by strong ties who feel like one big family, and who strongly resist forces that tend to disintegrate them, that feature elites who have a sense of responsibility, rather than arrogance, will prosper.

My experience is that those who voted remain, all belong to a single urban class, who, by and large are doing all right, and think themselves to be pretty smart and educated. And who haven't seen their jobs taken by immigrants, or their schools overrun by people who dont speak English, or their factories closed because EU directives have made them unprofitable. Or just left to rot on the sink estates of the North, or had EU inspired gypsy camps or wind farms shoved next to their housing estates.

Of course you may think that these people are beneath contempt, bigoted racists, and don't matter.

Unfortunately, whilst they have been deprived of almost every other form of political power, someone made a mistake and left them a vote.

You who voted remain, you are the parvenus, the 'I'm all right Jack's' who have been upwardly mobile, arrived at affluence and been told that you are indeed mighty smart. YIu have been issues with yoiur liberal left progressive rule book, you idolised Tony Blair, and you think you are so clever, and classless and free...well remember the next line in the song

'You are all ***Ing peasants as far as I can see'. Because you have no honour, no noblesse oblige. Faced with Gillian Duffy, all you can do is dismiss the entire experience of her life, her political aspirations, her sincere worries and concerns with 'just some racist bigot'.

You are the privileged. You are about to learn the price of privilege. That if you do not take care of those less privileged than yourself, they will not support you. And that means respecting their experience, and listening to them, and sincerely trying to make their lives better.

THAT is the social contract that makes societies that prosper. Not some hand wavy airy fairy 'progressive' ideology that craps all over them because they aren't as smart and sophisticated as you are.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It wouldn't surprise me at all if half the population were bigots and racists. In fact, I'd be surprised if the proportion is that low. Suspicion and fear of those outside our own tribe is not merely a cultural phenomenon, it's baked into our DNA. We evolved with it. Even if you recognise that, and even if you accept that this trait is a problem in the modern world, it's still a difficult tendency to overcome, and an easy one to stimulate in others.

1. R3sistance

It couldn't be that people just had issues with EU in general or thought that the on-going economic crisis in Southern Europe is an unacceptable situation of which the EU holds a significant amount of blame on. Nope... Racism.

It couldn't be that people think the EU interfers too much in the UK and what UK gives up for EU membership just ain't worthwhile.... Nope, Racism.

It couldn't be that people believe that immigration needs sensible control of which the EU obliterates... placing intense strain on established services and allowing foreign criminals and benefit cheats into the country...... oh sure, cas it's just Racism.

It has been clear this entire debate where the majority of the bigotry has come from and that is actually the Remain side whom ad hominem the leave side by calling the entire thing racist and not wanting to actually engage in logical and sensible debate.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"on-going economic crisis in Southern Europe"

Just it's not EU to have created it. The blame is on a string of corrupt, inefficient, greedy *local* governments that created it breaking the EU rules (i.e. debt control) while altering the evidences. *Local* government elected by citizens who just wanted to suck more money out of their privileges, subsidies, and corruption. Out of the taxes from of honest, hard working people, better if those from abroad, who can't vote for the *local* government. The EU acted to stop that. It did some mistakes (i.e. too high interests on leases), sure.

Italy has more 10,000 state/region/town -controlled companies. A large percentage of them with more high-paid administrators and executives than employees. Most of them in the red, requiring tax payers money to survive - money that can't be used for investments to get past the crisis.

But nobody wants to close them, because they are a huge reserve where politicians can find highly paid, cozy jobs for friends and relatives. And that's just an example.

Of course, it's the EU to blame. Listen to those politicians who wants to maintain the status quo because it's from it they get the most advantages. The EU is asking them to renounce to their unethical, if not illegal, privileges, and they will fight to "death" to avoid it. Having to find a job to earn money? Are you mad?

Southern Europe - I live in Italy - won't be saved by more money spent or lax rules - they will just be funneled and used by corrupt governments into buying more short-term electoral consensus to maintain their extremely high paid seats (if you believe eurocrats are paid too much, look at those in Italy....) - leaving the root issues exactly as before.

The four bank who went bankrupt in Italy, and the other two the barely escaped it (zeroing their share values, meanwhile), are a perfect example of extremely bad *local* management too often colluded with *local* politicians.

Thereby, yes, believing EU is to be blamed for what It didn't, it's a form of racism. It's bad just because it's the EU.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: "on-going economic crisis in Southern Europe"

Just it's not EU to have created it. The blame is on a string of corrupt, inefficient, greedy *local* governments that created it breaking the EU rules

Local governments encouraged by the EU, through money and grants for "regional identities", because it isn't the interests of Brussels to have strong, united contries able to oppose the EU. Better to encourage fragmentation under the "divide and conquer" approach. A UK squabbling over devolution and Scottish independence, or a Spain trying to fend off Catalan secession, is going to be too preoccupied with internal divisions to present a united front to Brussels.

Well, Brussels will now reap what it sowed. Best of luck to us all.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Actually, Catalonia is one of the richest area of Spain. It has the higher GDP, but surprisingly people in Madrid and Basque Country earn more per capita. Ask you why...

The banks who went bad in Italy are in Veneto, Emillia-Romagna, Toscana and Marche, especially the first two among the richest regions in Italy and among the wealthiest in Europe as well. Regions that pay in taxes a lot more of what they get back.

Unlike Scotland, they want independence exactly because they are tired to see the wealth they produce dissipated by inept and corrupt governments in other areas. And they see very little EU funds. The EU is not the biggest problem. Income tax, VAT and other taxes are asked by the state, not the EU.

It looks your knowledge of "southern Europe" is very limited. Its not the EU which created that situation, it predates the EU and goes back to the XIX century, if not earlier like in Spain (which had much more issues in Basque Country).

Greece, AFAIK, has no much issue about "regional identity", but its squabbles with Turkey about Cyprus and other boundary territories which is also used by state officials to ensure military expenditures (military people and their families vote) and related bribes are kept high enough.

But it is true that a lot of EU funds for "depressed areas" are also dissipated to gain electoral consensus, without a proper auditing by EU, because it will put it on a true collision course with many governments that uses EU funds to cover their inefficiencies and keep people calm. And because EU is made of officials appointed by the state governments, officials often from the same areas who obtain the funds... guess what happens? And where's the problem? In the EU or the single states?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Thereby, yes, believing EU is to be blamed for what It didn't, it's a form of racism. "

Ok, lets go with your argument there - which race has been discriminated against then?

Simple question. Lets see if you can answer it.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@"Italy has more 10,000 state/region/town -controlled companies. A large percentage of them with more high-paid administrators and executives than employees. Most of them in the red, requiring tax payers money to survive"

Italy has a 4.52 billion euro read *surplus*, UK has a 3.3 billion GBP trade *deficit*. When you talk about corruption, you miss the insane amount of money that was printed and shoved into worthless derivatives to prop up the city boys.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@R3sistance

"It couldn't be that people just had issues with EU in general or thought that the on-going economic crisis in Southern Europe is an unacceptable situation of which the EU holds a significant amount of blame on. "

No, seriously.

Move to somewhere out of your normal comfort zone and you will see. I have done so twice.

For 3 years I lived on a council estate with available housing as nobody wanted to move there, resident's burnt the fences to keep warm (when they didn't burn boots & shoes, yes really, suprising what people talk about while waiting for the bus). From there I moved to traditional manual labour working class city with a decimated tranditional industry. I still live in the second place and stayed because everyone was so frendly, however, I'm white, I would have gone home after the 6 months I needed to the there if I wasn't.

Before you accuse me of being middle class or elitest and not knowing poverty, put down your stones, let the man who has needed declared himself destitute for a £20 cash handout cast the first stone. I don't blame the people I live with, I blame the, so called, leaders. They are scum that later litter our lives to benefit their advantage, who else would persuade the poor to blame those who are poorer still.

The leave campaign have stirred this up to suit their own agenda, it won't stop here.

I actually saw people in my polling station with pens in hand! FFS, as if an organisation with a vote changing agenda would rub out individual votes! There are far more than a small percentage of gullible and racists, they are all Leave needed to brainwash.

1. R3sistance

"No, seriously.

Move to somewhere out of your normal comfort zone and you will see. I have done so twice."

You made no real point here, other than, there is a few racists. As stated, people labeling all of Leave as racist and bigots is nothing other than an ad hominem attack that adds nothing of value. The remain campaign did nothing compelling at all and gave no real arguments for remaining in Europe but rather attacked the leave campaign.

Now let me go further to say that I never called anybody elitist or middle class, so thank you for your lack of anything meaningful...

2. breakfast Silver badge

Yes.

As someone who felt Remain would have helped us better, it seems to me that now we're leaving there is a real need to make Britain a better place. We're British, we make the best of things and muddle through and we need to stick with this.

But we also need to talk. A lot of people voted Leave because they were angry and close to the edge and that didn't happen because of the EU - if anything they were probably benefiting from EU investment - but their sentiments were whipped up by a particularly malevolent campaign and they were already close to the surface because of decades of cascading failure on the part of multiple governments. We need to be able to engage with these people, to help them find a positive direction. I don't know what that will take, but I don't think it exists on the current political landscape. Post Brexit Britain will be what we make it, so maybe we all need to work on making it something amazing, rather than the disaster the Leave campaign so urgently desire.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

If you look at the demographics Brexit was supported by people 50+ largely - this suggests an element of nostalgia for something that is disappearing or is imagined to be disappearing - while this is partly understandable - there is a large element of racism in a portion of that age range across all income classes. (As per undercover reports from my elderly but liberal parents who live in a very affluent area in the North of England which was pro brexit). To deny that this played a significant part in the effectiveness of the leave campaign when the economic case for staying was pretty overwhelming is willful blindness. I'm not saying that all brexit campaigners are racists but its impact was there. Also reading the daily mail for decades doesn't help rational decision making.

3. itzman

yeah. it's the death knell of the hypocritical virtue signalling politically correct Left.

And the Labour party.

'Voters defied warnings that a Leave vote would "destroy Western political civilisation", '

No. Voters voted to precisely destroy Western political civilisation

Everyone is BORED with whinging minging neo-marxists who in 60 years have failed to solve a single problem

Look at the comments. Emotional nonsense. From people who have bought into the Lefts Narrative.

Or are cynically using it to protect their privilege in an EU sponsored lifetstyle

2. a cynic writes...

Three months ago I said:

There are positive arguments for staying as part of the EU but I've yet to hear anyone make them. "No Tracy, don't leave. Stay and make a go of it or he'll cut up rough." isn't the winning argument you all seem to think it is. In fact from what I've seen it's flat out counter-productive.

After watching the campaign and the aftermath I think I can add: If you want to convince people of your ideas don't talk about them as though they are the shit on your shoe.

3. MR J

It is like this everywhere sadly.

In good times people are accepting.

In bad times then people roll on the protectionism.

US dislikes Mexicans and Chinese.

UK/Ireland dislikes the Polish.

2% growth everywhere in the world at the same time forever is impossible.

Our "Core" values these days are built on increasing monetary wealth and nothing else.. That's how you end up with hate. I love the idea of socialism but generally it fails in worse ways - so for now we will thrive with the hate I guess, and everyone can become more insular.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

But do we really understand why it happened?

Congratulations Brexiteers you got what you asked for.

Time will tell if it's what you wanted.*

And wheather there is any mfg left in the UK or it will become a nation of "financial consultants" and baristas.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well the financial experts will have decamped to Frankfurt so we're probably left with the hipsters.

1. TheVogon

"Well the financial experts will have decamped to Frankfurt"

I'm guessing you havn't been to Frankfurt. It's not exactly an attractive location for someone well paid to chose to locate themselves... The risk of that happening is pretty close to zero.

1. tiggity Silver badge

I've been to Franfurt, pleasant enough, I would be happy to live there

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

One of the finance houses is already prepping to move 2000 staff to Frankfurt and Ireland

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"One of the finance houses"

All of them are. Those which weren't already actively making plans will have started the ball rolling on Friday morning.

3. Terrance Brennan

I have been to Frankfurt and found it a very nice city with public transport, parks, culture, good infrastructure, including a major international airport.etc. Depending on how the break up actually develops I can easily see well paid financial experts happily moving there. As usual, the devil is in the details. My concern is I do not see any motivation for the EU to strike a friendly bargain for the UK out of concern it would only encourage similar exits from other countries.

1. codejunky Silver badge

@ Terrance Brennan

"I do not see any motivation for the EU to strike a friendly bargain for the UK"

They want us out. Not now but yesterday. The EU is not popular. It is not seen as a great and amazing saviour. The EU is afraid (as it has been all along) that one out of the door shows the others the way. There is a queue to leave and the EU is desperate for us to go as quickly as possible. And we could easily do so, for the right terms.

2. Simon Westerby 1

I hope you meamt baristers.... the pubs are closing too quickly for us all to be come baristas

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
          Unhappy

"I hope you meamt baristers...."

No. I meant what I said.

"the pubs are closing too quickly for us all to be come baristas"

Exactly.

But who knows ? Maybe Dr Minford is wrong and the UK mfg won't be flushed down the toilet of history , along with every high tech development (SABRE & Skylon?, SiC power semiconductors?)

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"will become a nation of "financial consultants" and baristas."

Won't all the baristas mostly have to go back to Eastern Europe?

4. SonofRojBlake

Manufacturing might actually get better off. It's the financial consultants, no longer free to tout their services around Europe free of barriers, who are likely to suffer. And your barista will likely sound suspiciously more local, rather than, say, Romanian, in a few years' time.

5. Alan Brown Silver badge

> And wheather there is any mfg left in the UK or it will become a nation of "financial consultants" and baristas.

I give it a month at most before most of the vehicle makers say they're off to pastures continental.

One of the more immediate impacts of the Brexit vote is that the EU can simply _cancel_ (or suspend with immediate effect) programs investing funding into the UK regions - you know, the same ones who mostly voted "leave" (ahem: Wales, Cornwall, ex-industrial North) along with farming subsidies. The UK is now locked off the table on that so there's absolutely nothing which can be done.

Buyer's remorse simply isn't enough to describe what's about to happen next. Cornwall is already starting to realise just what they've done.

As for the "at least 2 years" mantra, anyone who looks at article 50 will realise it's at MOST 2 years to negotiate an exit and the EU doesn't have to care about the state of UK law or civil service and won't care if the door hits us on the way out.

2. JimC

The trouble is, other than the helots turning up each day to clean the swimming pool and vacuum the house, there weren't that many people with funny accents in Hampstead or Kensington, but in other parts of the country the local culture has changed utterly without the consent of the people who used to live there.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And you mean people from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and other ex British colonies in Asia and Africa - from now highly courted Commonwealth members - came from the EU? And they will stop coming?

How many "British" companies are already owned by Indian ones? And by Arab ones? Will you buy them back to stop those foreigners coming and changing how people are used to live there?

3. Schultz
      Go

The thing that happened ...

is that a democratic country had a democratic election on a clearly defined topic. I am not happy about the result, but I think the election result and those who voted deserve respect.

Now there'll be the British experiment outside of the EU. It'll be interesting to see how a major European country will do on its own without oodles of oil money (the Norwegian way), oodles of banking money (the Swiss way), or a fishing-based economy (the Iceland way). Everybody in the EU will break out the popcorn to watch. And no, you British folks cannot have a handful, you don't belong anymore.

Now, concerning that Wembley goal, let's just clarify once and for all that is was a tragic referee error. You'd have deserved to win that game fair and square, how sad that it didn't turn out that way....

1. nijam Silver badge

Re: The thing that happened ...

> a democratic country had a democratic election

I think it would be better expressed as "a democratic country had a demagogic election", since campaigners on both sides were spouting nonsense to appeal to lowest-common-denominator voters.

It's been said before that "Democracy degenerates into demagogery" and this referendum farrago has been an excellent demonstration of that.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Those who voted leave will probably find the things they thought they were concerned about won't change in any meaningful way and the things they should have been concerned about will change in a significant way and for the worse.

2. Mike Tyler

Well I guess Farrage has done his work, he can now retire the UKIP, as they have met the solitary goal they had set, so a little silver lining as the pound drops like a stone and the stock market is whistling as it falls. I hope white van man enjoys the increase in the price of petrol they have voted for.

1. monty75

They'll rebrand themselves as the people's party and press for an early General Election which I suspect they'll do quite well in.

1. Mike Tyler

Might not be a bad thing, I don't think I'd want to be the party in power if the standard of living drops and interest rates go up, but who can tell

2. Andrew Newstead

Anyone remember..

Norsefire?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Anyone remember..

"a little silver lining as the pound drops like a stone"

If a country wanted to get back to manufacturing and increasing exports rather than relying on imports, isin't a lower valued pound a benefit?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Anyone remember..

"If a country wanted to get back to manufacturing and increasing exports rather than relying on imports, isin't[sic] a lower valued pound a benefit?"

It makes imports more expensive so it only operates on the value added in production and that benefit then has to outweigh the tariffs it faces.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"They'll rebrand themselves as the people's party and press for an early General Election"

I'm not sure about that. I doubt many of the Leave campaigners had any plans beyond the referendum except "magic happens".

I'm not surprised, BTW, that the leading Leave Conservatives wrote to Cameron just before the event saying that he should stay on whatever happened. They belatedly realised they hadn't a clue what to do if they won & wanted someone to come along and look after them. Who do they have in their own ranks? IDS who has presided over the on-going car crash of Universal Credit? Gove who seems to have got up the nose of everyone working in the areas he's overseen as a minister? Boris, who was the great cheer-leader of the City that may currently be doing nicely (in the short term they can always make money) but are in for bleak times in the longer run? No wonder Boris is going round saying that they don't have to invoke Article 50 any time soon. Well, they and Farage have now got what they asked for and I doubt they're going to enjoy it for long.

3. TRT Silver badge

Please...

Not Boris.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Please...

The only alternative is May (shudder) but at least she isn't Boris (the spider)

I'll second the statements about Trump, Le Pen etc.

This won't end well.

or to use a well known phrase

Were Doomed I tell ye, Doomed!

1. TRT Silver badge

He's making a relatively sensible statement at the moment. WHAT'S GOING ON??!!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Exit Buffoon Boris, enter Serious Boris. Amazing what a change a Prime Ministerial candidacy race can do.

1. TRT Silver badge

Being two-faced is a prerequisite for a politician, I suppose.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
            Meh

"Exit Buffoon Boris, enter Serious Boris. "

Indeed.

or to put it another way

"Time for the Cobra to rise up."

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: "Exit Buffoon Boris, enter Serious Boris. "

There's Trump Vs. Hilary and now people are talking -seriously, apparently- about a Boris vs. Teresa May election. Tell me we're not living in a fucking cartoon.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" It’s a catastrophe for the European Union..."

Well going by the state of the pound, it certainly fucked over our bit of it this morning.

And I've already heard the word "repatriation" used in connection with those European workers over here. Which is interesting (YMMV) given the most highly respected doctor at our local surgery is Finnish.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like