back to article Lester Haines: RIP

It is with incredible sadness that El Reg must report that Lester Haines, one of our finest story-tellers and an all-round good bloke, passed away on Monday. We have published his obituary, The Life and Times of Lester Haines. Lester, who was 55, died of a heart attack at his home in Spain. He will be cremated on Friday 17 …

Pint

Blimey Charlie, sad news indeed

Please pass on our thoughts to his family

Sincere condolences to his family and colleagues. We'll all miss him as ell.

Silver badge
Pint

Here's to you Lester. So long, and thanks for the SPB.

Silver badge

Terribly sad news

I didn't always agree with Lester's views but I enjoyed hearing them and the spirit with which he presented them.

We often don't realise quite how much someone has become part of our own lives until they are gone. He will be missed.

Paris Hilton

R.I.P.

Bye Lester, and thanks for making our Fridays at the office so much more enjoyable!

Is that a tear I can see in Paris' face?

Silver badge

Can we see a playmobil tribute?

Also if he's being cremated, got a weather balloon handy?

So sad

Sad and shocking news. So young, too. Condolences to his family and all at the Reg. He will definitely be missed.

Silver badge

It is rarely that I get a shock when reading things in the general press, but I have to say that this really hit.

I have enjoyed Lester's articles and wit over the years. He certainly was a character. I shall miss him. Condolences to his family, and to those that knew him.

Anonymous Coward

m0rt

You just took the words from my mouth. I can't remember the last time I actually felt short of breath when reading or watching news, paper or tv intertubes or otherwise. But now I'm just stunned. Bloody hell. I hope that says enough.

Pint

Condolences to his family and close friends

55 is too young. A huge loss to The Register and to regular readers such as myself.

RIP

I didn't always agree with him, but his writing was always entertaining and well informed.

My thoughts are with his family and the team at el Reg.

Maybe it's time for LOHAN to fly in His memory...

This is such sad news. My deepest condolences to his family, and his to workmates at the Reg. This publication will be less fun without his words.

Silver badge

FFS! This year just keeps getting worse

RIP. Thoughts to family and friends.

Pint

ah no

RIP

IT Angle

Rest in peace Lester.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends at this difficult time.

No matter how old you get, nothing prepares you for a sudden loss, like this one.

Icon used to contain a gravestone...

Bon Voyage Lester...

...I always enjoyed Lester's articles, he always seemed to be enjoying himself, and I suspect he'll be sorely missed at El Reg. My deepest sympathies to his family at this awful time.

Silver badge
Pint

Very sad news indeed

Way too young indeed! I always thoroughly enjoyed his writing, and all the special projects he was involved in. My condolences to all his loved ones and colleagues. Will raise a glass of my best whisky this evening. I suggest the first new crazy balloon launched missile or plane be dubbed the "Lester Haines" in his honour, better still, name the SPB after him (assuming it will carry on his good work).

RIP

Never fun to think about what happens after:

mv person > /dev/null

RIP, Lester.

RIP Lester :(

TRT
Silver badge

I'm guessing this is for real...

No humorous social engineering demonstration? Sad news indeed. Top vulture. Condolences to the family. :(

Fuck. Lester, you brought a lot of joy, RIP

Condolences to his family. I'm genuinely shocked and sorry for your loss.

RIP Lester, far too young.

*Raises a tankard in salute*

Rest In Peace good Sir, you will be sadly missed.

May your family, friends, coworkers, & readers share a respectful moment of silence in your honour.

=,-(

RIP

Lester's SPB articles were the reason I started reading El Reg. I always enjoyed how he joined in the comments on his articles too.

He will be missed by his readers, but even more by his family and friends. My thoughts are with them.

Thanks Lester, you will be missed!

This is terrible news, he will be sadly missed. Always enjoyed his articles.

OMG we are the same age!!!

Thanks for all the laughs

Sad, sad news. Taken way too early.

7,000+ stories is a good ol' legacy! You made us smile & laugh, that's what counts...

Unhappy

Shit...

Silver badge
Unhappy

Damn!!

RIP.

What else can I say. Condolences to all who knew him.

MJI
Silver badge

What a shock

RIP Lester.

55 is no age as well

So sad

TRT
Silver badge

Can we do something about the sponsored thing at the bottom of the article, please?

Not in the best taste.

Re: Can we do something about the sponsored thing at the bottom of the article, please?

This was updated as soon as we realised, it was certainly not deliberate. Paul at The Reg

Shame, he was still young

Sad indeed when an iconic personality like Lester is taken too early.

Any possibility of making a 'Lester' icon, to mark comments laden with his epic style of humour? Some of the ones on the bottom row are almost never used...

Silver badge

Re: Shame, he was still young

I'll second that. Pipe also required.

While I agree with the "Lester Icon", I think that it should be earned or awarded.

R

Silver badge

Or automatically applied to any post with exactly 55 votes.

Silver badge

Should require your username to have appeared outside of the earth's atmosphere.

Pint

Good riddance

Your mother was a bacon sarnie and your father was a weather balloon...

Just kidding. The Reg won't be the same without your entertaining articles.

Pint

So long, and thanks for all the fis^H^H^Hchuckles

Wow! Condolences to the team and his family, he was a great writer and will be missed!

Silver badge

No one is really dead whilst they are still being talked about

And we'll be talking about Mr Haines for a good while yet.

The power of Marmite to you!

Bronze badge

RIP my thoughts are with his family and the El Reg Staff.

Pint

Sad news

My most sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Unhappy

Onto the next project...

RIP Lester

Pint

"all-round good bloke"

I'd settle for that as an epitaph.

Silver badge
Unhappy

:(

I very much enjoyed his work here.

Condolences to all his friends and family.

Anonymous Coward

Oh no. Pratchett, Banks, Lester

I feel like I did when I heard about Sir Terry and Ian. Lester, you might not have been a world famous author selling millions of books, but you had the same spirit as those blokes (and indeed, Douglas Adams).

I will miss you. My sincerest condolences to your family and loved ones.

Pint

DAMN YOU, DEATH!

My thoughts exactly - FFS GET YOUR BONY HANDS OFF MY FAVOURITE WRITERS! ;-((

If William Gibson suddenly croaks it, I'll know there's a supernatural conspiracy against me.

Like all here, my deepest condolences to his family - I'll raise a glass (or two) in your memory tonight.

I second putting his ashes on LOHAN, it is the only suitable send-off, but they'd need to go into orbit, not return to this vale of tears...

Re: Oh no. Pratchett, Banks, Lester

Well, pTerry's passing was at least not all that sudden.

Douglas, and now Lester, OTOH were sudden indeed.

I can easily name a dozen politicians or so that I would gladly trade up for one of these good blokes. Where can I reach the hooded one, the one carrying a scythe and speaking in SMALL CAPS? Surely a deal could be struck? Give us Lester back, or we will off a dozen politicians at once, making them Death's problem. (really a win-win for us either way)

All kidding aside: RIP Lester.

MJI
Silver badge

Re: Oh no. Pratchett, Banks, Lester

After last weeks incedent up north, I'd be careful what you wish for.

Try reality TV contestants

Very sad reading on El Reg today... So Long Lester :(

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017