back to article Microsoft shifts Windows 7 and 8.1 fixes to 'rollup' bundles

Microsoft says it will simplify the update process for older versions of Windows by switching to once-a-month "rollup" bundles. Redmond says that all PCs running Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1, and servers running Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, and Windows Server 2012 will begin getting the monthly updates. " …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Get with the times, daddy-o!

Peeps still haven't upgrade to Windows 10? In 2016?

1. Captain Badmouth
      Headmaster

Re: Get with the times, daddy-o!

No we still haven't upgrade(d).

Daddy-o.

2. cheshS80
    Meh

Found it - KB 3156417

I just found this lurking in Recommended Updates :- KB 3156417 - The May 2016 update rollup package for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 - Which acccording to M$

This update package fixes the issues that are documented in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:

KB3155039 Error 1326 when you change domain account password in Windows

KB3155218 Memory leak occurs in the Lsass.exe process after you install security update 3067505 in Windows.

No mention of the dreaded KB 3035583 or it's friends - I'll wait and see

Windows 10 Free Zone (We need an Icon for that)

3. quxinot

I haven't had a virus issue under windows in years.

And yet I've had to dodge horrible patches that try to direct my actions on a regular basis for more than a year.

Who's the bigger threat here?

(Note: You can't patch defenses in against users being stupid. For that you need wire cutters--apply to power, network, or user as you see fit.)

4. DanceMan

187 updates

After failing miserably to clone the hdd on an ancient Thinkpad T41 because of the non-PAE cpu, I resorted last week to doing a fresh install of Win 7 (on a larger hdd so I can dual-boot with Mint Mate). From Win 7 SP1 it took 187 updates (important updates only) and very many hours, maybe 8 or more overall (old slow cpu, no ssd). Then I ran DWS to take care of the spyware.

I too would be afraid of the rollup including the unwanted updates, and DWS was made to deal with the individual known updates, though the hosts file and firewall changes should still work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 187 updates

Sounds like you used Paragon Hard Disk Manager.

Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12 works (32bit-linux bootable ver) will work with non-PAE processors still, Paragon Hard Manager 14/15 (linux bootable ver) switched to PAE processors only. Try an older version if you can, HDM12 will work with Windows 7. Its one of those quirk's thats worth knowing,

(Linux Based recovery tools (getting underneath Windows) are the support life line to Windows. I'd have ditched Windows completely years ago, if you couldn't backup/restore Images via linux, to save re-installing Windows.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like