back to article What's wrong with the Daily Mail Group buying Yahoo?

Right now MailOnline parent the Daily Mail Group is worth at most £2.5bn, and the few content assets that Yahoo! is supposed to be selling, are already worth way more than that. But the issues go deeper. DMG – parent both of the Daily Mail print newspaper and the massively successful online site Mail Online – has no magic …

Odd Language

I assume if this is successful we can see far more use of the words, 'pert', 'leggy', 'bosom', 'full bosom' and various other terms to describe the physical form of the fairer sex used by the Mail to crop up in search results?

Re: Odd Language

Side boob.

Anonymous Coward

Yahoo

Why anyone would want to buy the world's largest collection of undeleted email spam is beyond me.

My Yahoo account gets so much spam, I stopped using it and only go to it if someone tells me they sent me something there.

Silver badge
Alien

Re: Yahoo

Curious - that's me too, and it's been like that for years. Anyone else?

TBF, spam does auto-expire and the filtering is of similar effectiveness to other providers in my experience.

Silver badge

"Anyone else?"

If I get 10 spam a week in Yahoo mail, I consider that heavy.

Normally 5 or less a week.

But then, the Yahoo mail is my throwaway address for websites like this one, with no contacts in the account.

zb

"Curious - that's me too, and it's been like that for years. Anyone else?"

Does anyone use it any other way?

Silver badge
Facepalm

Does this mean Daily Fail will own Flickr?

Time to back up yer pics before they become part of some "Hitler's Aunt Took My Picture!" or "Foreigners, We've Got Pics of them Enjoying Themselves....( in their own homeland )."

Silver badge

So, in summary...

Yahoo? do you think you are kidding, Mr Dacre,

Anonymous Coward

It would be a shame if the Mail got into fiscal difficulties as a result of this.

Funny if all those 'journalists' ended up living in cardboard boxes at Kings Cross.

Hopefully their UBS payments will terminated so they will be reduced to vermin.

I don't mind the Tories slashing their benefits

I'm certain many readers share my views.

I for one have not forgotten all the virulently anti semitic headlines they published in the 1930's when they tacitly supported the British Union of Fascists.

They never apologized for that.

Nice people though

(Written by Reg staff)

My god, you can remember the original 1930s headlines? You must be the oldest ever commentard on the Reg – by my maths you must be pushing 90 years old!

Just one thing: can you also remember the Daily Mirror headlines of the mid-30s? In particular, this one titled "Give the blackshirts a helping hand" http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rc6PP2pjDqk/UokG8RevfYI/AAAAAAAALqU/Ti_gw9lHa8Y/s1600/daily+mirror+blackshirts+1.jpg

Reference: http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2011/dec/06/dailymail-oswald-mosley

Bronze badge

But... but... they did it too...!

The Mirror publishing that is equally reprehensible.

But it still doesn't change what the Mail published, does it?

Re: But... but... they did it too...!

"But it still doesn't change what the Mail published, does it?"

You rather miss the point - You're basically punishing them for the sins of past generations of editors and journalists based on your present day political bias.

Remember also that many media outlets were rather keen on Stalin's Russia in the mid 40's when they were doing a fine impression of a steamroller over the remnants of the Nazi hordes - do we accuse them of being Reds-under-the bed too?

Bronze badge

Re: But... but... they did it too...!

'...do we accuse them of being Reds-under-the bed too?'

I would.

Anonymous Coward

Hmmm well I have to say I don't always agree with Guardian articles.

I find this article more pertinent, especially the reference to Rothermere encouraging Hitler to slaughter Romania. Worth noting Rothermere owned the Mirror at the time....

http://liberalconspiracy.org/2013/10/02/so-what-did-viscount-rothermere-really-believe-in-the-answer-should-disturb-everyone-who-loves-this-country/

Never mind the Mail & the Mirror supporting the Blackshirts. More to the point what about our wonderful grasping treacherous royals? one of whom with his American tart was a great friend of Adolf Hitler. When he abdicated, Churchill saved his rotten hide by shipping him out of the UK as Governor General of the Bahamas, no doubt to save him being strung up from the nearest lampost by the people who would have been enraged by this Nazi loving moron.

Flickr

My biggest concern with this is that Yahoo currently own Flickr, and I actively use Flickr (and pay for a Pro membership too).

The thought of giving money to the Daily Mail Group does not fill me with happiness.

Silver badge

Re: Flickr

Welcome to the cloud, where you get little or no control of what happens to your data!

It can happen to any hosted service, either the hosting company screws up and deletes your stuff, or the service decided to close because they are bored or losing money. In short, if the ownership or future availability really matters to you then you set up your own (hosted if your ISP can't offer the bandwidth you need at a price you can afford), and keep your own mirror/backup in any case.

I totally agree, Paul.

It's the social media aspect that keeps me on Flickr - I have loads of views and comments on my pics, and that kind of stuff is hard to capture on a self-hosted solution as you don't get the same kind of traction. Obviously I have all my photos backed up, but you can't backup views, comments and social engagement.

We had this debate when The Reg reported that Flickr deleted some chap's account and people were quck to ask why he didn't have backups. He did have backups, of his photos. But that was not what he had lost. It would be like eBay deleting your account and you losing all your seller history and feedback rating - it's not something you can back up, nor something you can self-host necessarily.

As you say, though, you are at the mercy of the provider for stuff like this sadly.

Silver badge

"But that was not what he had lost. It would be like eBay deleting your account and you losing all your seller history and feedback rating - it's not something you can back up, nor something you can self-host necessarily."

I see an opportunity for the web equivalent of the credit reference agencies...

Alert

Surely the biggest problem

Is the Daily Mail hardly needs more exclamation marks.

Can you imagine the headlines on the All! New! Daily! Mail!

Silver badge
Trollface

You know...

I'm always amused by the Anti Daily Mail rhetoric that any article that mentions them is strewn with. Based upon the opprobrium absolutely no one in the entire country admits to reading it or looking at its website and yet, it has 2nd highest circulation and its website is frequently cited among the top performers in the world. Someone must be reading it.....

Silver badge

Re: You know...

"Someone must be reading it....."

Hipsters, ironically, of course. :)

Silver badge

What's wrong with the Daily Mail buying Yahoo?

Nothing.

Yahoo! doesn't need anyone's help to get worse, so being bought by the Daily Mail might actually make it better.

Facepalm

Re: What's wrong with the Daily Mail buying Yahoo?

Yahoo! doesn't need anyone's help to get worse, so being bought by the Daily Mail might actually make it better.

Tower to Pork, you are clear to taxi on runway 2 9.

OINK!!!

Angel

Expecting a 'blend'

Of Media and Digital Expertise .

Silver badge

Daily Mail buying Yahoo!

Means that it'll own Tumblr from which it gets most of its 'content' - so they will have cut out the middle man.

just speaking as an american...

I think its a great idea! It will up the quality! Of both of them! They can leverage their synergies!

Gold badge
Unhappy

But note Yahoo pays a *dividiend*

Something Amazon still deos not seem to do on a regular basis.

Anonymous Coward

I just hope tumblr doesn't start censoring nipples.

Slx
Silver badge

Yahoo is still around?!?

Wow

yahoo, tumbr, flurry ...

all a waste of perfectly good electrons. At least they are in one place so we can have a nice big bonfire.

Stop

It's a Match Made in Heaven

I think all you naysayers don't realize just how bad Yahoo! has become. A high percentage of the "news" items on the page are now "sponsored", in other words clickbait advertising, and lot of the rest are just garbage. Near the top currently are two Brit. items torn from the Daily Mail but categorized as "U.S." news. One is about flytipping (we Americans are only familiar with cow tipping) and the other about girls school uniforms (ain't got many of those either). Yahoo! is already crap, but I guess at least we could maybe look forward to crap with better pictures if they join with the DM - but no pimple popping videos please.

Silver badge

Yahoo! search now with BS sensationalist results

Anonymous Coward

Yahoo and Daily Mail?

They deserve each other.

MJI
Silver badge

British newspapers

Funny really, I just have a look to see what is happening.

Mail is not that bad really, you can access it unlike some of News International sites.

I ignore the gutter press (eg Sun).

Mail and Express are pretty similar and to be honest a bit funny, you cannot take them serilously.

Independant is turning into Metro, which is not as good as it was for one section Games Central.

Guardian is a bit up its own bum but OK. Telegraph is OK.

However BBC is one of the better UK news outlets.

But all news outlets do seem to be getting worse than they were.

Silver badge

Re: British newspapers

"Mail and Express are pretty similar and to be honest a bit funny, you cannot take them serilously."

People do take them seriously.

Deadly seriously.

Now, how's would The 'Mail's purchase of Yahoo! affect house prices and mortgage rates?

And will it cure cancer or give everyone cancer?

MJI
Silver badge

Re: British newspapers

Well they should not

And if the Express bought them it would be Diana season again

Wrong question . The question should be is there anything right with the Daily Mail and its obsessive interest in cr@p, the royal spongers, lowlife celebreties and donating to the tax evading tories and their scummy, shady, devious friends.

Nothing.

Good idea. They'll get it as wrong, as Murdoch does with tech, go bust and Rothermere will stay in France, Dacre in Scotland. Result! High fives all round!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018