back to article Bill Gates can’t give it away... Still crazy rich after all these years

Tech billionaires dominate the upper reaches of the Forbes Rich list this year, which proves that while he’s good at many things, Bill Gates just ain’t cutting it at throwing away cash. Gates came in top again, with a whopping $75bn fortune. The second spot is taken by Zara boss Amancio Ortega, with $67bn, while Warren Buffett …

This post has been deleted by its author

Trollface

Re: Humanitarian!!

I think he meant chem-trails or some such rubbish, but considering the guy who invented anti-knock (lead based) additives you never know, do you?

Anonymous Coward

How much actual money has Bill Gates given away vs how much has he just transferred some of his assets into a non-profit foundation that he controls?

Rather than giving away his wealth I think the system is just designed to give away the profits during his lifetime and then when he's dead it will slowly spend his wealth.

$4b in spending on medical research in 2014? That ain't nothin', pardner.

Silver badge

If the metric is 'Trumps', Bill Gates is worth a lot more than 16.6 of them, in every possible interpretaion.

Oh, and BTW, maybe Jeff Bezos can look under his couch and find the money to finally pay his open bills. I'm pretty sure his suppliers don't care whether they get a cheque or a check.

Coat

Won't someone think of poor Kanye West?

Who has been forced to start a gofundme campaign to raise $53M to pay his bills.

// mine's the one with the tiny violin in the pocket

Anonymous Coward

Re: Won't someone think of poor Kanye West?

"mine's the one with the tiny violin in the pocket"

The memory is a funny thing. The phrase "small violin" prompted an image of Tiny Tim...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSlcNfThUA

Re: Won't someone think of poor Kanye West?

At least Kanye can use the Forbes list as a directory of people to beg from if Zuckerberg doesn't get back to him.

Talk about buying votes... If Bill wanted to be president, he could send every person in America a personal cheque for $200 and still be in the top 100

Silver badge

He only needs to pay half of us, and only those of voting age. I'm holding out for $500, then I'll vote for him. He can hardly be worse than Trump or Hillary.

That would arguably make him one of the biggest philanthropists of all time, as it would mean he'd just given away just under $64.5b in one go.

Of course, the LOGISTICS of putting $200 into the hands of every man, woman and child in America would, in and of themselves, create a hell of a lot of temporary jobs, causing a spike in USPS activity.

Joke

you really think he can't be worse - say Windows 10 mandated by law etc

There are a lot of people on the list that, agree with them or not, have spent more time thinking about policy in various forms than Trump. No matter what you think of Gates, he's done a great deal for world health but has been conned by the charter school movement into doing some real harm to education.

Silver badge
Stop

Are they really so charible?

The main problem when these guys donate to charity is that people only look at the cold numbers while ignoring the relationship with their income. Or put differently: the percentage of their fortune which is been given to charity. And when you look at those numbers then things suddenly look a whole lot different.

For example: According to CNBCGates has donated 1.5 billion ($1.500.000.000,00) worth of Microsoft stocks to the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation in 2014, making him someone who donated most to charity. But if you look at Gates' income, my source being Paywizard dot org then you see that his annual income is estimated at: $11.500.000.000,00. 11 billion, 500 million dollars per year. So now we can determine that Gates has actually spend approx. 13% of his annual income to charity.

I know people who make around E2400,- per month. When they spend E200 on charity they spend 8% of their monthly income. And something tells me that it would have much more consequences for them as well. Some people actually cut on their expenses in order to donate to charity, something which I seriously doubt would apply to Mr. Gates.

Yet the latter are the people which no one takes into account.

Do note that I'm not claiming that what Gates does isn't impressive at all. But I do think you shouldn't look at the numbers alone, also look at what people actually do (or don't do).

Re: Are they really so charible?

Fully agree.

I wonder what terms conditions under which these donations are made.

Advertising for the monopolist.

Silver badge

That site is obviously bogus

Gates did not make $11.5 billion in a year, unless they count capital gains for his stock. If they do, then many of the others like Warren Buffett have wildly inaccurate numbers as they have had capital gains as well. Not to mention that there are years when Gates has lost many billions when MSFT stock went down.

Anonymous Coward

Yeah, refer to the WIdows Mite

Bronze badge
Coat

I believe someone told me once that the Church recommends you tithe 10% of your earnings.

Seems Bill is doing enough for the man upstairs, but your friend isn't quite with the mere 8%

Only joking, I truly respect your friends and their dedication to bettering this world for us all.

Being serious for a moment though, we don't need to look at any of it, if anyone gives to charity, and how much they give should be kept a private matter. Giving is great, but is the effect so good if you go around telling everyone about it?

Silver badge

I gotta say I'd vote for any of the tech nerds on the list, even those I consider to be evil, soulless abominations of human beings, before I'd vote for Trump. Even Bill, who has admitted in the past that he doesn't think he'd be very good at the job. Then again I'd vote for Bubba J over Trump, so that's really not saying much.

Bill Gates can’t give it away...

Sure he can! Just give me a call, and I will gladly help him to lighten his wallet.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

And another!

One more wonderful El Reg units of measure! The Trump!

Meh

" having a big pile of cash of one’s own...

"...gives one an advantage when running for political office"

Didn't work very well for Ross Perot

Silver badge
Joke

Re: " having a big pile of cash of one’s own...

Perot lost it when he got up in front of an audience comprised of mostly NAACP members and referred to them as 'You People'. ref

Anonymous Coward

He's not trying very hard...

If he refunded $10,000 to every person who bought any version of Windows, that would only partly pay for the damages suffered by Windows users. It however would be a good start. I hope Bill is reading this because the champ change he gives to charities after violating all sorts of laws in numerous countries to reap billions annually in revenue, is unsavory.

Childcatcher

Why on earth do someone needs that much money?

Nobody lives long enough to spend that obscene amount of money, that people are the worst case of hoarders alive, they need psychiatric help!

Silver badge

Re: Why on earth do someone needs that much money?

I'm sure people like Gates have vast sums on hand in cash compared to likes of you and I, but the vast majority of their wealth is in shares in their own companies as well as other investments. In other words, most of it is what is keeping a significant numbers of people in work. I'm not saying that it's a good thing for so much wealth and power to be in the hands of individuals, but it's not cash stuffed in a mattress. Even if Gates cashed in and put the whole lot in a savings or current account, the bank wouldn't just put in a vault. They'd lend it out themselves, again making the money "work".

Silver badge

"Gates for President"

Is the feeling I walked away from this story with.

Thinking about it, actually doesn't seem entirely crazy (has Bill ever expressed any party affiliation?)

He's got the Trump-trump-card of actually having enough cash to run without being beholden to backers - but with the bonus of not coming across as an egotistical-cock and actually having a track record of using his money to do some good.

Of course "the not being an egotistical-cock" is also his Achilles heel.. Voters are idiots.

Silver badge

Re: "Gates for President"

He was asked about it in an interview leading up to 2000 or 2004. He said he wouldn't run because #1) he wouldn't be very good at running a nation and wouldn't like the job and #2) people wouldn't vote for him. I don't think either of those things has changed since then.

Re: "Gates for President"

2 has probably changed.

1... Well, let's put it this way: he'd be a hell of a lot better at running a country than Donald Drumpf would. Unlike the Ass Trumpet, his company is actually wildly SUCCESSFUL, and not just a "rich"-sounding brand name that has left shitloads of people out their retirements.

So, sure. He might not LIKE the job, but to be frank, I don't imagine any presidents like their jobs after February. They do it because it has to be done, not because they want power - at least, I HOPE they do it because they don't want power. Donald Drumpf, on the other hand? Oh, he wants power.

January 20th, 2017. If Donald Drumpf is elected, we'll find out if Time Travel is possible or not, because that'll be when the disruptor rifles come out and disintegrate him.

Living amidst sagebrush...

I'm still waiting for the opportunity to prove that money won't corrupt me!

Re: Living amidst sagebrush...

You and me both, mate.

Even my wildest dreams could be realized on very little money, comparative to the kind of cash even the Drumpf can throw around, let alone the money Bill Gates has. The rest, I'd probably just give away to some charity or another.

Spread the word

I'm serious.

Bill Gates for President.

All parties.

Spread the word

and write him in.

Really smart and really caring

In thinking about Bill Gates as an extraordinary techie, entrepreneur, and philanthropist,

we overlook that he is extraordinarily intellectual and extraordinarily connected with the world.

As well as extraordinarily nice personally.

Check out his blog.

Check out http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/bill-gates-the-rolling-stone-interview-20140313?page=4.

I think he would lead political parties out of the morass

and continue to extraordinarily change the world,

like no one else is in a position to do.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017