back to article BT broadband is down: Former state monopoly goes TITSUP UK-wide

UK telco BT is suffering a major broadband outage: it appears the comms giant is caught up in a near-nationwide blackout, with more than 12,000 reports of service problems on Down Detector. The web connectivity monitor has been flooded with complaints from vast parts of the UK, from London and Birmingham to Manchester and …

Anonymous Coward

It's stone dead up the road in Chipping Norton. Our entire building contains internet people so everyone from a bunch of different companies is just milling around in confusion.

It's like a fire drill or something.

Anonymous Coward

Hello. I'm from BT. I'm here to help.

"Our entire building contains internet people so everyone from a bunch of different companies is just milling around in confusion."

I'd like to talk to you about the service level agreements available with BT's finest quality Broadband for Business.

Not down here

No problems for me today, on BT Infinity.

FAIL

Reason?

Incompetence or something more malicious?

Re: Reason?

Talk Talk having a sideswipe.

Anonymous Coward

...cable theft again perhaps?

The article denies anything malicious - but I imagine BT treat their network maliciously enough without the help of outsiders...

Anonymous Coward

Presumably that’d explain why the Mrs is bleating about the BT YouView going titsup for everything other than standard FreeView stuff…

Anon because, well she reads this…

Down here too

They've had increasing latency and packet loss throughout the day, but since around 2pm it's completely unusable (Infinity, south-west Essex).

Plan B, that is Giffgaff 4G tethering here, works well enough for the most important stuff, though.

Silver badge

To Infinity and beyond. Or not.

If only BT would choose today to give me their regular monthly cold call to try and entice me into leaving my current ISP and joining BT; I could waste more of their time telling them why I won't and would enjoy it even more than usual.

Silver badge
Coat

Re: To Infinity and beyond. Or not.

"If only BT would choose today to give me their regular monthly cold call to try and entice me into leaving my current ISP and joining BT; I could waste more of their time telling them why I won't and would enjoy it even more than usual."

They have been trying but their IP phones seem to be down at the moment.

grumble, grumble

Failed just before 15:00 for me. changed over from FTTC to old bethere ADSL2 and now waiting.

I bet they are going to be slower to drop to just the FTTC now. :)

BBC news 24 just reported widespread disruption to BT services so it must be true... No response from BT as yet.

Silver badge

So it's reported on a tech site that reports tech news and you doubted it's veracity until you saw it on the BBC? Wow.

Silver badge

I think the BBC strives for a higher level of journalistic quality than El Reg. I hope that doesn't offend because the BBC does aim high (doesn't always achieve but does aim).

Silver badge

"I think the BBC strives for a higher level of journalistic quality than El Reg"

it may strive

it doesn't succeed.

Dammit

Working from home, connection still up, no ping drop or anything, 1ms ping time.

Bugger, better carry on working......

Silver badge

Re: Dammit

Probably a case of "If it's working, DON'T reboot the router/modem".

My AAISP line is up at the moment, but they've issued a status update:

https://aastatus.net/apost.cgi?incident=2207

Silver badge

Re: Dammit

> Probably a case of "If it's working, DON'T reboot the router/modem"

There may be an element of that, but we've had customers "just go offline" - router not rebooted, just lost connectivity. I did notice that downstairs where the centre manager has a BT Infinity line that the router was showing a red "b" so it's not just lost packets.

Just checked on another customer router - the router hasn't been rebooted, but they've been offline.

Something else interesting, two customers I monitor have dynamic IPs but they've come back up with the same IPs that they had before the outage. That's unheard of - BT normally force an IP change on every re-connect which is a bit of PITA.

Silver badge
Happy

Puts me in mind of the last chapter of A Fire Upon the Deep.

I wonder what (who?) the countermeasure was aimed at this time?

Silver badge

Syrian refugees or Donald Trump.

not just broadband the operator is affected too

Operator services are down dialing 100 to speak to someone gets you an engaged tone dialing 150 gets you a network busy message as does the fault checker line (0800 169 0199) if you do manage to get through to someone their systems are down also got told to phone back in 4 hours.

Anonymous Coward

Re: not just broadband the operator is affected too

"Operator services are down dialing 100 to speak to someone gets you an engaged tone dialing 150 gets you a network busy message as does the fault checker line (0800 169 0199)"

All working from here in suburban south Birmingham on a standard BT line.

0800 1690199 option 1 (Broadband faults) goes to an engaged tone.

I think it needs rebooting.

In other (hopefully unrelated, but...) news: any Gridwatch fans out there?

Have you noticed the huge hiccups in the charts, just before Thursday/Friday midnight last week, and then again today at around half past midday? Odd.

Still, at least we've still got electricity.

Silver badge
Mushroom

Also Virgin-Media are having a few niggles.....it's ISIS isn't it!

TRT
Silver badge

It's ISIS isn't it?

Worse. Microsoft.

What's the odds on some piece of control equipment having auto-updated to Windows 10 just?

I have no doubt it will be blamed on a failed server upgrade and that will be it, they won't bother to explain how a failed server upgrade kills so many different systems or why no backup system spring into life. Something must be seriously wrong if you can't even dial 100. I haven't checked but I hope this hasn't also affected to ability to dial 999 or I can see BT being hit with some big fines.

Re: It's ISIS isn't it?

Re Win10 upgrade - Oh I really really hope this is the reason!

Mushroom

Dot dot dot daesh

Well ISIS it or ISN'TISN'T it? Make your mind up!

Silver badge

Yeah, had a few drop-outs on TV and internet yesterday according to my wife. VM internet dropped out for about 10 minutes this afternoon around about 2pm-ish, coincidently the time BT seem to have dropped off the map.

On the other hand, everything seem to be working faster than usual. Maybe all those busy websites are not so busy just now :-)

Re: It's ISIS isn't it?

Are you saying that this is a part of the infrastructure that is capable of "updating" to W10?

More likely WME...

Black Helicopters

Government installing black boxes

You know it's the truth, these things always coincide with a government press release about the dangers of the internet. Or if there's no press release, that just proves it's secret.

Anonymous Coward

Up and down in Hampshire

Keep getting drop outs last 5 minutes or so then it's back to normal. Thought it was just me, but now I know better. Not even with BT!

BT ADSL, South London has been fine all day

See title.

Re: BT ADSL, South London has been fine all day

not all of south london's ok my servers dropped 1hr ago

Anonymous Coward

North East OK

No problems to report in NE1, although BT colleagues tell me lots of their internal systems are on the fritz.

From the beeb

"It is true that we are down at the moment. We are aware of the problems and are working on them as fast as we can."

"Sorry if your [sic] are experiencing network problems. Engineers are on site now. We will keep you updated,"

@BTCare

Silver badge

And the Beeb have just signed with BT to supply their high bandwidth site to site connectivity. I wonder if those systems would be affected by this too?

Silver badge
Boffin

Different BT. This sounds like a BT Retail problem. The BBC will have (I assume) signed up with openreach.

Not quite

Openreach don't supply products like MPLS directly to end user customers, they handle network maintenance and local access networks.

BBC will have signed up through BTwholesale, Global Services or a bespoke BTnet arrangement. They're not completely getting rid of Vodafone either.

The irony of most of BT's web sites currently being unreachable is not lost on me. (Why bother hosting it all separately, just fire it everything on the same server cluster...)

---

See also, because I still can't put more than a couple of inline links in comment replies:

http://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/Our-responsibilities/

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/products-services/ip-connect-uk.htm

http://www.globalservices.bt.com/uk/en/products/ip_connect_uk

http://www.bt.net/info/

Anonymous Coward

Affecting Lincolnshire too

Cue the usual comments about the reasons George Boole left.

Trollface

Re: Affecting Lincolnshire too

Do we hafta?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Affecting Lincolnshire too

Rules are rules, man. Don't make me get out my Dennis of Grunty Fen CDs.

SShh..You feel that?

The web just got a little less sanctimonious.

Clients down in Devon, Cornwall, Leicester and Edinburgh. Looks like BT are getting on top of it as our connections are coming back up.

Dead here in CV2

Fail.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Dead here in CV2

Please don't post your CV2

Silver badge

Dead in CV2? Nothing new. Most boring place in the country to go out in at night.

Makes Milton Keynes look sophisticated

Silver badge

Upvote for credit card security punnage

FAIL

Down in Brighton

BT Infinity connection down in Brighton (BN2). Router was saying the PPPoE authentication couldn't complete after I rebooted it in the hope a quick switch it off and on again might help.

High Order Failure - London PoP

Looks a lot like there's a 'high order failure' on the BT network in their London PoP, trace below.

If the problem is isolated to London, it might mean that northerners will avoid the problem and be routed through the ManIX PoP. Anything hosted in London though, or anyone in the UK who's connectivity will traverse a London PoP/LINX connectivity is screwed!

2c3-xe-1-0-1-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net 166.49.208.14 gb 17.414 ms

t2c3-xe-2-2-1-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net 166.49.208.114 gb 18.650 ms

t2c3-xe-2-2-2-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net 166.49.208.116 gb 19.462 ms

9 166-49-211-239.eu.bt.net 166.49.211.239 gb 18.202 ms 18.221 ms

166-49-211-241.eu.bt.net 166.49.211.241 gb 18.220 ms

10 core1-te0-3-0-10.ealing.ukcore.bt.net 109.159.254.103 gb 22.484 ms

core2-te0-4-0-7.ealing.ukcore.bt.net 109.159.254.162 gb 22.417 ms

11 * * *

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018