back to article Surface Pro 4: Will you go the F**K to SLEEP?

Against all predictions, Microsoft has made a profitable multi-billion dollar business out of a boutique tablet. It has also turned a bog standard commodity Thing - a Windows laptop - into something desirable. And it has done it all without fully answering the question “Why should I have one?” The Surface began life only three …

Anonymous Coward

How many mainstream laptops have 2k screens?

I am guessing thats why people want it.

Anonymous Coward

My Dell has a 4k screen ...

Silver badge

>How many mainstream laptops have 2k screens?

A few, from Lenovo and Toshiba amongst others. However, the Surface, and the Surface Book, have 3:2 aspect ratios which for some will be reason enough to buy them over the near ubiquitous 16:9. The only other option is 16:10 from Apple. Again, if I am wrong here, please pretty please post a link to a non 16:9 laptop!! Thanks!

Windows was a bit behind OSX in the way it dealt with UI scaling on very high res screens, but apparently it's good now. The issue is that some 3rd party software for Windows isn't fully civilised yet (Photoshop, I'm looking at you). This chicken and egg situation (why buy a pricey high res laptop if the software isn't ready, why rework the software if there are few customers) might explain why high-res Windows laptops aren't yet common.

Coat

and the Pen now comes “free”?

The Surface Pro series has always had a pen bundled with it. The Surface (non-Pro) doesn't.

Hmm

There are a couple of errors in the article, which I would submit using the "send corrections" link, but I'm going to assume that you wrote the article on the SP4, and that's to blame for "... ended up one of my taking my usual notetaking options with me" etc. That's what happens when your "laptop" only really works on a desk. Sorry, still not sold on the form factor. The Surface Book, on the other hand, I really kind of want. I hope they make it available in the UK, and that I can justify the cost.

Silver badge
Headmaster

Great design?

Wait, tablet design 101 - A Graduate course for designing a new and challenging form of the tablet. Graduated rounding edges will be explored. A flat screen touch interface will also be explored. Intuitive buttons at 10 O'Clock and 3 O'Clock...

Silver badge

Re: Great design?

"Graduated rounding edges will be explored"

With a big note saying 'If you do this, Apple WILL sue you'.

Anonymous Coward

Surfaces meh

ipads and droids were easy to fend off as we could simply say it won't run any of our software (Which was the truth, our software almost 100% Windows applications), can't with the non pro Surfaces.

There goes our machine replacement budget for this financial year :(

Anonymous Coward

Re: Surfaces meh

However most companies have since realised that it's easier and cheaper to replace the software to be platform agnostic.

Most businesses are going web app way, and there are loads of office applications for android and iOS, Microsoft office included.

In fact Microsoft app count for android now exceeds 75.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Microsoft+Corporation&hl=en_GB

Silver badge

So it's a bit restless?

You should load this into its memory.

Silver badge

They aren't popular

That is a lie. They are getting better at hiding the bleeding is all.

Re: They aren't popular

I've seen a few Surface Pro tablets in the wild but they always had their keyboard attached and some executive was carefully typing while the thing teetered on their lap. Personally, I'll stick with my MacBook/iPad mini combo which gives me a real laptop which is incredibly small and light and a tablet that actually has apps. MS is stuck between two worlds with the surface and it really doesn't work well in either. It isn't a good laptop and as a tablet the lack of apps makes it pretty useless unless you want to poke at desktop apps with your finger. Frankly, with Splashtop Remote installed on my desktop PC I can access Windows apps pretty well from my iPad even when I'm on the road not that there's a great deal of software on Windows I ever have to use these days and since work it switching to Office 360 there's even less reason (I would have preferred Google Docs but some users couldn't get to grips with it unfortunately)

Silver badge

Re: They aren't popular

that's great if your environment is mac friendly but on my (domain) network there wont be any macs joining (we don't have terminal services so no thin client access etc). We don't have any mac infrastructure so that will be pricey for us to change. Some of our users want a small tablet to "do stuff" out an about with but also want a keyboard to type at times, they also need to connect to the domain so that pretty much means something similar to the surface pro.

I'll give you that for "most users" they would be better with a thin and lightweight laptop but a mac isn't the answer to everyone.

I have found the dell tablet options to be a cheaper robust alternative.

So... if you map the power button to 'hibernate', all your troubles go away?

I disagree with the statements made the the HP X2 would be a better choice, because of battery life. It has a claim of up to 9 hours. Yet testers have got 9hrs 23 from an SP4. And the SP4 has a bigger screen (12.3 up from just 11 for the HPX2)

See article here for more info

http://www.winbeta.org/news/battery-life-experiences-surface-pro-4-core-m3-base-model

Bottom line: your usage may vary. But I have an SP4 with a M3 processor and I used it through a day for 9 hrs (though half of that was with the wifi off. )

Silver badge

Dell with the keyboard battery pack will last 9 hours easily with quite some remaining. And 9 hours being USED in a classroom environment too. With just the tablet undocked you will get about 6 hours constant use.

Silver badge
Facepalm

What is Windows 10?

I've been trying to figure out what Windows 10 is for months now, and Andrew has nailed it for me:

a tentative peace agreement between warring factions

Awesome.

Silver badge

Who knew?

#MSFTBaaaad

Interesting, isn't it, that for decades the pundits complained about minuscule screens on laptops and sang the praises of those with15" or bigger screens. Now we're back to days of Compaq luggable screen sizes. Do these toys also come with magnifying glasses?

Silver badge

that's because the quality of small screens was poor. A good quality 10" screen is better than a poor quality 15" screen.

Happy with what I have now...

I have a MacBookPro and an iPad. Both work GREAT! They do EXACTLY what I ask! They sleep, wake, WIFI works right, Bluetooth works right, no loud fans or hot surfaces. Both have great battery life. Updates have not created any issues...

The SP4 is a business product and just for the rabid Microsoft supporters. It is expensive and we have a LOT of installed iPad's and Apple computers for the high level execs.

Bronze badge

Once again, the software

I just contributed something very negative about Windows 10 in another thread, about what a PoS it is compared to W7. The SurfacePro looks like the answer to those of us who like the idea of an iPad or similar tablet but want something with a bit more power than just a basic 'browse the Web and play music' peripheral. Unfortunately, Microsoft seem to have the knack of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory -- they just don't seem to be able to make reliable, functional, software. I don't think its the programmers' fault, it looks like marketing -- business considerations -- trump functionality and reliability every time.In effect, they will compromise the functionality of their software to push some new business they have in mind, often a business that's a copy of what ever's out there (cloud) or something we don't want.

I used to use a Motion tablet. Its a early Surface like device that ran Windows XP. Microsoft's 'upgrades' did it in. Even with expanded memory and stripped right down internally it barely functioned once "SP3" was installed.

Windows 7, 8, 10 all cause sleep apnea or worse

For a number of months now, I have dealt with numerous owners of laptops who complain that their computer is dead. Not dead. It is comatose, a state undocumented by Microsoft and caused by atrociously bad power management software. Also caused by Microsoft wanting all of us to put our laptops to sleep instead of powering down completely. I have now found two causes of comatose. The obvious one is you puts your lappie to sleep, the battery runs down to zero, and plugging in the power adapter then pressing the on-off button repeatedly does no good. The less obvious one happens when Windows is the middle of an update and you put the computer to sleep. Either ones corrupts the CMOS, rendering the computer into a brick. Microsoft needs to expend far more effort on its power management. Yes, there is a solution in the meantime. The EASY solution is to power the darn thing OFF, no sleep!

Gold badge
Facepalm

Doesn't go to sleep?

If you have Cortana set to respond to "Hey Cortana", turn it off. That often does it.

Used to work just fine, but broken as of the 1511 update in Win 10. This is probably the most annoying thing about 10, the major updates have a nasty habit of breaking as much, if not more, than they fix.

Silver badge

Really?

Anyone who praises 8.1 automatically invalidates all their other observations.

Using an SP4 and it _is_ a good machine

I'm writing this on an SP4 now, and yes I did expense it. Observations from 2 days of use: it's fast, the screen is very nice, the keyboard/trackpad rocks and like the article says, I can sit back in tablet mode when I want to read and mark up a pdf. It can even play games at low res. Furthermore it is half the weight of the laptop and iPad+stylus combo I used to lug around with me before. Battery life is iffy - 5 hours tops on the i7 and more annoying, very slow to charge. There were weird experiences/bugs getting all the patches applied (one update would not install with an SD card in the machine).

If Windows Evernote supported pen input or OneNote could do OCR I would be a happy man.

So the article is pretty spot on, it is good but not perfect but I am not aware of anything else that can meet so many use cases in an acceptable way which is available at this time.

Re: Using an SP4 and it _is_ a good machine

The OneNote that is part of Office (and which is also available for free) does do OCR.

Asus Transformer

'S funny, how memories are short. Back in 2011 -- all of, er, four years ago -- folks were agog at the prospect of getting their hands on the Asus Transformer TF101. Amazon UK got one delivery but then ran out. My wife bought one, still has it now, paid £350 for it and uses it. . . EXACTLY . . . in the same way as the pictures show of the Surface wotsit thingie. The clamshell keyboard protects the screen when not in uswe and serves as a second power source as well.

I was so impressed, I bought the Transformer's successor, the Asus Prime. As big a load of shite as there'll ever be, this was so appallingly engineered that it had curved edges (ohhh, how trendy) but with square ports, so your chances of keeping a HDMI connector in place were non-existent. Its wifi capabilities were dreadful, too. I think Asus has stopped making it now.

Stop

Don't think the "F**K" in "Will you go the F**K to SLEEP?" is necessary

Puts me off reading the article. Tired of overuse of expletives.

Silver badge

Re: Don't think the "F**K" in "Will you go the F**K to SLEEP?" is necessary

It's from the book of the same name. I dare say if the child is young enough the exasperated parent will even have read it to them in an attempt to get them to do that.

Re: Don't think the "F**K" in "Will you go the F**K to SLEEP?" is necessary

Tommy Bowdler, is that you?

Sales numbers ?

Sales numbers are absent again.

"Against all predictions, Microsoft has made a profitable multi-billion dollar business out of a boutique tablet. It has also turned a bog standard commodity Thing - a Windows laptop - into something desirable."

Yes, the writedown that has been mentioned was a cool $1bn. That will take a huge time to repay back, out of the profits. Now... how much are the profits, just out of interest.

Go the Fuck to Sleep!

Damn... I have the same "bag heater" issue with my SP3. You put it to sleep, it wakes up immediately. Put it to sleep again and put it in your bag, an hour later you have a very hot bag and your Surface has turned itself completely off (due to thermal overload) which means you're starting from a clean boot.

I was hoping the SP4 would solve these problems. Sounds like it hasn't.

Re: Go the Fuck to Sleep!

ChaosFreak, the problem you and the article author have is very likely caused by the default setting in Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 of having the mouse wake the device from sleep. It is one of the most annoying things imaginable. One of the first things I do with a new / newly installed machine is go in and disable all this too-clever-by-half power management nonsense. That includes disabling waking up to install updates.

When I say "Sleep!" I mean sleep and only I may wake up "sleeping beauty".

Re: Go the Fuck to Sleep!

The problem is that if you put the tablet in a relatively loose compartment in your back pack the cover can open slightly and, depending on how much it opens, that can cause the Surface to come out of sleep mode. Just make sure you have it in a tight pocket.

I wanted a Surface Pro 3 but no mobile data support, so I waited. Surface Pro 4 - still none. Lovely idea, but to be properly portable, for me, it needs to be independent of WiFi, MiFi and tethering and ugly dongles. Shame.

It's not just the Surface Pro 4, the older Surface Pro and Pro 2 have power saving issues as well. Microsoft appear to have their head in the sand on this one as they've done nothing after nearly 5 months. Kind of ironic that their own software doesn't work properly on their own hardware.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro-surfusingwin10/windows-10-makes-my-surface-pro-1-extremely-hot/9ca517f9-5cbc-403b-ad3b-a?auth=1

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017