back to article IBM kills Hack A Hair Dryer women-in-tech vid after backlash

IBM is killing a controversial web video that employed hairdryers to supposedly promote women in STEM following an online roasting. The video was part of a campaign to: “Reengineer misperceptions about women in tech”, in which hair dryers – performing functions not normally associated with the handheld hot air device – feature …

Anonymous Coward

In short, womyn want all of the rewards and none of the risks.

"Equality of opportunity does not mean equality of result. "

Just wanted to re-iterate that .....

Why is important for people of different races not to be

---

This is where the poison of identity politics starts to raise it's ugly head.

Race is a constructed fiction that has no basis in science

What happened to "content of character", to true equality of individuals? To bring race, or gender, or anything else into this is to remove the individual. That was the entire point of the civil rights movement, to ensure that individuals are judged on their own merit, not on a being a part of a perceived group.

So, I'll say again, if there is a blockage to a person achieving something based on their being perceived as part of a group, then that is a blockage to equality of opportunity.

Nothing else matters. Group identity must be irrelevant for equality to be a useful topic to discuss.

Devil

and so do most myn, so whats new about that?

>Men into teaching, nursing, clerical jobs, doctors (check the figures), biology (doesn't this count as stem?)

Or hairdressing.

Anonymous Coward

Hoovers would have been safer

Hack-a-hoover ladies.

Then when it went wrong they could be like "Piss off, James Dyson was a guy!"

Also if anyone is gonna be equipped with the knowledge to improve something, surely it'd be the main user. I'm sure there are some guys (like the bald one pictured) that use hairdryers but surely predominately female. Maybe the nozzle shape could be improved to blow hair about more or something... I dunno I rub mine with a towel and leave it then so it isn't my area.

Paris Hilton

Re: Hoovers would have been safer

or how about ...

'Hack The Laser Display Board' with the lovely Samantha.

Surely nobody could object to that.

(Samantha has to nip out now ...)

Silver badge

Re: Hoovers would have been safer

Nah.

Hipsters and neck beards.

Primary use for a hair dryer these days.

[As someone who has for decades cut hair short to avoid using hair dryers and would be unable to grow the fashionable neck beard due to the wrong type of hair.]

HAHAHA

that chick that doesn't use a hairdryer... is an EYELINER ENTHUSIAST.

holy fucking hell...

Anonymous Coward

Lesser lights...

When I was in college, my girlfriend & I were both wannabe engineers. We both had hair dryers, because they are useful general purpose tools. When we decided to make a planar heater (using a hair dryer, black tape, hot glue, staple gun, paper clips, wooden dowels, and some binder clips) we destroyed one of mine to get the nichrome wire, power cord, and switch. She now has her MS as well as a couple of BS degrees, and would laugh her ass off at any woman so distracted from science & technology as to infer gender roles from a tool. Really? Would a really noteworthy female mind refuse to innovate, merely because the tools available to her were insufficiently masculine? The women protesting so passionately are followers, not pathfinders, There are no Marie Curies or Hedy Lamarrs among them.

PS - What does a MAN's hair dryer look like? Well, mine was purple.

Bronze badge
Coat

Marie Curie

Not sure she used a hair dryer...not after the radium work anyway.

* getting my lab coat, hair fallen out

Joke

Re: Lesser lights...

PS - What does a MAN's hair dryer look like? Well, mine was purple

Lots of chrome, excessive Cowling, black Styling strips, and Must have go faster stripes.

Oh wait is that sexist ?

Mine was chipped grey silver plastic many years ago, have since cut my hair :(

Silver badge

Still the typical old IBM...

Anonymous Coward

I don't think so. IBM have generally (and historically) been supportive of women in technology.

One of my tech heroines

Didn't see the video in question, so unable to comment on that However, if I wanted to create a video to encourage youngsters into getting to grips with technology, I think I'd speak to Limor Fried https://www.adafruit.com/about - I reckon if I were a teenager now (instead of being a cynical old biddy) I'd sit up and take inspiration from Limor - not so sure about IBM's (mis)marketing department!

IBM have always employed a lot of women in technical roles over many years. In fact I would say that most of the female IT professionals that I have come across worked for IBM (and I didn't work for them).

Damned attractive, many of them as well (opps, I will just pop off to resign).

Anyone got any suggestions for the next thing I can pretend to be offended by, in order to conform with prevailing social media trends?

I was thinking something to do with cats.

Bronze badge
Trollface

Mrs Slocum

What could you possibly find offensive about pussy?

Maybe IBM shouldn't have hired Donald Trump to write this stuff for them

It's about as appropriate as most of the stuff he says.

Silver badge

"Rosa" Franklin? I have never seen here called anything other than Rosalind...

Paris Hilton

Hello, IBMer here. There are an awful lot of things wrong with IBM, but it's attitude to women isn't one of them. The many female employees get treated with just the same respect as the men (for better or worse), there is a continual effort to promote diversity and equality within the company (very much including gender equality) as well as externally, and flexible working options help women with career progression that could be otherwise disadvantaged by family commitments that do still disproportionately affect women.

I honestly don't see the problem with this video in its wider context. Yes, we've seen some highly snarky (and amusing) comments from some very accomplished women, but I don't think the video was aimed at them. It was aimed at women who might not otherwise consider a career in STEM. It uses a fairly uncontroversial line: take everyday object X and hack it to do fun things Y & Z. I'd guess that a hairdryer was chosen on this occasion as the object because it turns out you can do some fun hacks with one, "hack a hairdryer" is a nice alliteration, and its an everyday object that many women will have and relate to. Unlike (say) a kitchen sink or hoover, a hairdryer doesn't have a negative connotation of domestic duties, it's just a thing that many women (and men) use. Certainly it's an object that is more associated with women than men, but is that really a problem in context? You might argue that hairdryers are connected with appearance, and we shouldn't be focusing on womens' appearance, but as others have pointed out, they are a practical object that enables a person with long hair to keep it clean and dry it so they can go and out and do something more interesting instead.

Personally, I think this can only offend someone who chooses to take it the wrong way, and there's not much we can do about them. IBM obviously thought it was best just to apologise, pull the vid and move on.

[What's the Paris angle? NONE AT ALL :)]

Facepalm

As usual out comes the Neanderthal in some commentards

People find something sexist and complain about it. What's your problem with that?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018