back to article LHC records biggest bang ever with 1 Peta-electron-volt jolt

With the Large Hadron Collider's (LHC's) refit and restart accomplished, the records just keep tumbling. CERN has announced the highest-energy ion collision ever. The data generated by the experiment is going to take time and supercomputers to analyse, but CERN says the two lead ions slammed into each other at more than 1 Peta …

Silver badge

Before things start getting too silly ...

... the commentards would do well to understand the difference between "energy" and "heat".

Consider poaching fish in water at a simmer, and the same cut of fish in olive oil at the exact same temperature ... The oil variation takes much longer than the water. Why? Because the water contains more energy than the oil at that temperature.

Silver badge

Re: Before things start getting too silly ...

"The oil variation takes much longer than the water. Why? Because the water contains more energy than the oil at that temperature."

While I'm being pernickety about basic physics, you're wrong. It has almost nothing to do with the specific heat. If olive oil takes longer it is because it is more viscous and so transfers heat from the heat source more slowly.

If you dropped the fish into two small containers at the same temperature with no external heat source the fish in the oil would take longer because there was less stored heat in the oil. But if both containers are kept at the same temperature the fish will cook at the same rate.

Who immerses fish in olive oil to cook it anyway?

Silver badge

Re: Before things start getting too silly ...

"If olive oil takes longer it is because it is more viscous and so transfers heat from the heat source more slowly."

Viscosity has nothing to do with it. It takes more energy to heat a quart of water from room temperature to a simmer (say, roughly, 195F or 90.5C, depending on altitude) than it does to heat the olive oil to the same temperature over the same heat source. The simplest way to verify results is with a stop-watch and a thermometer. This is one of those things you can try at home.

Likewise, the water transmits that energy to the food faster. You can verify this with a stopwatch and a thermometer. Again, it's a simple experiment you can try at home.

You are correct, it's a basic physics thing. But I don't think you quite have a proper handle on it.

"Who immerses fish in olive oil to cook it anyway?"

People who know what food is for. Dazzles the mind, and boggles the senses.

Trollface

Be careful with your subheadings...

Titles like "...fail to suck Earth into black hole..." are likely to be read by politicians, you know.

Funding Politician: So I see here the LHC failed to... something or other, I can't read that much in a day. Anyway, failure is grounds for cutting budget.

Scientist: Err, I think you'll find that we didn't do a bad thing...

FP: 'Failure' is the only way important word anyway. Now go & succeed at it or else.

Scientist: Damn you, El Reg...!

Windows

Sucks earth into a black hole???

Sounds like one of those old "Rastus and Elija" jokes

Elija: "Rastus - get away from the platform! That train's gonna suck you off!"

Rastus: "COME ON, TRAIN!!!"

Maybe I should've posted it Friday. Sorry.

Silver badge

Once again fails to suck Earth into black hole

Sigh. Pity.

Silver badge
Trollface

The Vortex Club!

Dick Cheney, Lord of Darkness, is waiting at the bottom, biding his time and cackling furiously.

Also: Politician: “I Prevented The CERN LHC From Destroying Mankind”

An ex-Labour politician, Simon Parkes, has claimed “psychopathic” world leaders, known as the “illuminati”, were planning on using CERN’s Large Hadron Collider (LHC) to open up a vortex allowing them to take control over the human population.

(I don't know how the above site looks w/o NoScript, so beware)

Silver badge
Boffin

>>Once again fails to suck Earth into black hole

>Sigh. Pity.

Well - we could be currently collapsing into a black hole but, because we are accelerating at near the speed of light, it's taking a really, really long time.

Are the stars overhead quietly going out?

Vic
Silver badge

Are the stars overhead quietly going out?

We shall not see them lit again in our lifetime...

Vic.

Anonymous Coward

Daily explanation of what this is about

AlpineKat LHC Rap

Anonymous Coward

Temperature

"temperatures about a quarter of a million times those at the core of the sun.”

Nearly as hot as the filling of a pop-tart then.

Silver badge

Re: Temperature

Nearly as hot as the filling of a pop-tart then.

Those bastards are no joke. I had a grade school acquaintance get a blister the size of a business card on the roof of his mouth from a Pop Tart. While I might've needed some hard personal lessons about sticking metallic objects into electrical outlets to learn that's a bad idea, I learned purely by observation not to take hearty bites of Pop Tarts (and Hot Pockets and their ilk) because of that kid's agony.

Silver badge

"I learned purely by observation not to take hearty bites of Pop Tarts (and Hot Pockets and their ilk) because of that kid's agony."

Come come, surely *anything* that resembles molten lava should make even the most numptified numpties dispense with bites and reset to nibble mode ...?

Silver badge

I thought Pop Tarts were those stupid girls I had to deal with while bouncing at rock gigs at Uni.......the number who wanted to throw their bodies at Eric / Van / Bob et al was astonishing

Silver badge

"Come come, surely *anything* that resembles molten lava should make even the most numptified numpties dispense with bites and reset to nibble mode ...?"

I'm not sure how to explain it, other than to note his name wasn't Shirley. He must've just gone in for a huge first bite.

The kid was ten years old at the time and in the gifted class of the school, so that's enough age, experience, and intelligence to be cautious with a freshly baked Pop Tart. I won't forget the dark red patch on the roof of his mouth where the blister had popped, though.

Developing the blister is bad enough, showing it off to your friends is worse, and if you looked you deserve the post-traumatic stress syndrome that apparently still haunts you.

Silver badge
Mushroom

But We're Not Safe!

I thought the reason that they weren't going to suck the Earth into a black hole is that the energies of the collisions they bring about are lower than those which sometimes occur naturally because of cosmic rays! (But they need an expensive accelerator to have them happening when a scientist is watching to study and learn from the collisions.)

But now you're saying that it's creating something that hasn't been seen at all - which would include in cosmic ray events - since shortly after the Big Bang!

That's what could get them shut down!

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Re: Re. But We're Not Safe!

"Creating a sustained region where collisions are occurring thousands or millions of times a second could create torsional stress which combined with the rotational velocity of the Earth might be enough to tear the fabric of space-time "

Ref. ? ( I mean a proper, authoritative ref. not some loony website)

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Re. But We're Not Safe!

The mysterious FRBs aka Fast Radio Bursts could actually be proof, perhaps.

Shit man, that's Hollywood levels of SCIENCE, right there!

Hired as scriptwriter!

There has for many years been a debate as to why anything exist at all when during the Big Bang matters twin,'anti-matter' ought to have completely anihilated 'matter' completely.

I think that is absolutely WRONG,in that infinitely small duration of time, 'matter' did NOT exist,all that existed was ENERGY,for however brief an amount of time & because no matter existed neither did GRAVITY.

From that energy, E-MC2 began the process of forming matter beginning with Quark Gluons & onto formation of atoms in humongous quantities,so vast - dense,superhot, that in 300,000 years, a thermal cloud the size of the size of the Andromeda Galaxy had formed.

The thermal heat generated could only attempt to escape through inflationary expansion, that continues today.

As long as there are two-bodies under gravitational influence of each other,there will be heat & the prospects of every bit of matter reaching thermal equilibrium with it's background will take a very long time to be reached.

Even some 13.8 BILLION years after the Big Bang, the very atoms formed then(including the billions in each of us)are still around today & will be for evermore.

That is truly amazing,with no 'tooth fairy' in sight either.

Silver badge

@ Asterix the Gaul

"all that existed was ENERGY,for however brief an amount of time & because no matter existed neither did GRAVITY."

Energy has gravity. See gravitational lensing for a visual reference.

HTH, HAND.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017