back to article Mars water discovery is a liberal-muslim plot, cry moist conspiracy theorists

The announcement by NASA on Monday that Mars has flowing liquids on its surface was welcomed as tremendously exciting scientific news by intelligent and rational people. For others, it is obvious proof that the space agency is misleading the American people. Leading the pack of doubters is waning US shock jock Rush Limbaugh, …

Re: I, for one, welcome our Martian Kaaba!

Suggesting bombing Muslims?

So you are an American I take it?

Dune reference ftw :) +1 upvote

Silver badge

More like hundreds of billion that they pay the defense contractors for. $575 Billion last year. Not all that oil money stays in Saudi hands.

Black Helicopters

Not all that oil money stays in Saudi hands.

Read Confessions of an Economic Hit Man for more details...

Anonymous Coward

What if they find a new mecca on mars? That's gonna be a bastard to pray to.

Silver badge

Rush as a spokesman?

Well he is in a way for the right, much as George Carlin was a spokesman for the left. Both have/had comedic appeal. Both at times are/were taken far more seriously than they should be which less serious than they take (or took in Carlin's case) themselves.

So... what time is the invasion fleet due? Is there time for a beer or two?

FTR, I take what Rush says as about as seriously as I take any government spokesperson. Some are just funnier than others.

NASA wants to go to Mars. And Obama has turned NASA over to Muslim outreach...

Conspiracy theories about NASA, Obama and Muslim shouldn't surprise anyone, Rush Limbaugh and his listeners are xenophobic sociopaths.

Silver badge
Devil

Re: NASA wants to go to Mars. And Obama has turned NASA over to Muslim outreach...

Wrong! We're real, actual zombies, and we're coming for your brainnzzz....!

Bronze badge
Angel

not rushing to judgement

tim worstall and lewis page will reveal the truth.

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: not rushing to judgement

And with that, you've moved beyond sarcasm into the high ground of irony. I salute you, oh quarrelsome pigkeeper.

Silver badge

That Rush is really a Democrat plot developed in a secret (gay, commie, organic) lab to make people think of right wing nutter whack jobs whenever they hear a Republican presidential candidate.

.... and the result was Trump

Flame

My grandma used to TRUMP all the time.

She used to laugh it off.

You could try that over there.

Fire for obvious reason - Grandma would not have been amused though.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Actually, He Is Right

Don't know how long it's gonna take, but this news that there is flowing water on Mars is somehow gonna find its way into a technique to advance the leftist agenda.

Yeah, that would be that thing called "scientific research" those damn leftists are always going on about. Well spotted!

Silver badge

Re: Actually, He Is Right

"Yeah, that would be that thing called "scientific research junk science" those damn leftists are always going on about. Well spotted!"

There, fixed it for you.

Silver badge
Joke

Obviously!

Well, next thing you know they'll find life on Mars!

And you know what the agenda behind that is. That's to convince our children that life can originate naturally from chemicals - and then develop from microbes into even thinking people by Darwinist evolution!

So it's all a plot to spread atheism!

Re: Obviously!

Yup, them darned sneaky Muslims and their atheist agenda, probably being helped along by mossad and the zionists (cool name for a band that). That'll be Limbys next rant.

;-)

Silver badge
Coat

Rush Limbaugh where?

Wasn't he in Squeeze?

(Ok, seem to remember a long Family Guy skit where his name cropped up)

I'm waiting for out homegrown best of british UK nutjobs to weigh in before I ignore them. What has David Icke to say on the matter?

Coat

Ak

Ak, ak, ak ak AK!

Silver badge
Holmes

Re: Ak

"Ak, ak, ak ak AK!"

Akbar? Are you trying to say akbar? Aha!

We come in peace, we are your friends..

No, that is GELF speech. I'm a bit rusty but "ah AK" definitely means popcorn.

Couldn't we use Mr Limbaugh's nonsensical ranting to start a crusade to Mars?

Persuade all the nut jobs to go and colonise the place in the name of god and then 'forget' to send the supply ships a year or so down the line?

WTF?

Terry Goodkind was right

From "Wizard's First Rule" (quoting from memory):

People are idiots. People will believe anything, either because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid that it is true

Anonymous Coward

In other news

The "fossils on Mars visible in some of the Viking/Sojourner/Curiosity pictures" crowd might have been right all along, just because the Viking probes and others didn't detect signs of complex anything could just mean the disturbed soil is similar to high oxygen bleach+ PCB etchant and destroys organics within seconds yet lower down it might be lower in perchlorates.

Had the Viking folks known about perchlorates on Mars they could have redesigned the experiment to prevent this and probably found actual life in 1976.

Silver badge

The solution to limbaugh

is the solution to any annoying person. Just completely ignore them. Deprive them of the attention they so deparately seek by deliberatly being stupid. Then they'll go away.

Re: The solution to limbaugh

Unfortunately there appear to be too many idiots who give credence to this kind of crap. We could ignore him but he wouldn't go away, and anyway, what would we take the piss out of on a Friday afternoon? Idiots are there for our entertainment (we just need to make sure that they don't get into a position where they can do any damage... oh buggeration, Trump!)

Silver badge

Unfortunately there appear to be too many idiots who give credence to Rush's little jokes. Particularly in this thread. Well, I guess it's understandable when so many have opinions of him molded entirely by those who hate him and will say anything to do him harm. I was a listener for several years some time ago, and I assure you he's getting a big belly laugh out of the kind of hysterical reactions on display here.

Still, I suppose it doesn't really do harm if people don't know they're the object of a joke.

It may well be a joke to Limbaugh but I suspect that there are plenty of uncritical thinkers who listen to such shite and take it as gospel. I have no real knowledge of him, nor do I have a particular axe to grind, but based on this article such paranoid bullshit deserves to be called out.

Silver badge

Set him up on a blind date with Katie Hopkins.

Facepalm

El Reg "also-ran" article writers?

Normally I find El Reg leading the pack on news items, enough so that it gets linked to by sites like Slashdot and other regular news sites. This article, however, follows hot on the heals of week-old tripe already run through the wringer by TV news outlets and talk shows.

Ignorance

All this sort of nonsense from Rush means is that he's entirely ignorant of science. Does he really think that the process ends at NASA saying they found something? This data will be investigated by scientists planet-wide now, to either confirm or deny it. Further exploration will be undertaken to try and confirm or deny it also.

Science doesn't just end with an announcement - it is barely the beginning of the process!

Such great interest in The Waters of Mars!

Personally, I'm a bit mild about those waters.

Or to be more accurate, how excited can one be about the contents of a single raindrop flowing down a gully. That *is* the approximate quantity being spoken of.

Still, considering how many places we find life on this planet, it's conceivable that single celled life could be present.

Inside of The Waters Of Mars.

Re: Such great interest in The Waters of Mars!

Whovian references notwithstanding we have to remember that the presence of water doesn't necessarily mean the presence of life, only that it *could* exist.

Rush Limbaugh is real?!?

I thought he was political satire, like Stephen Colbert.

Silver badge

Re: Rush Limbaugh is real?!?

Not quite. Rush doesn't take the coward's way out by pretending his partisanship is only "comedy." Colbert is a vicious leftist partisan who squeals that "I'm only a comedian!" whenever he's called on his underhanded smears.

Silver badge
Joke

So water on Mars = Muslim outreach ?

Didn't know there where any Muslims on Mars...

Silver badge

Re: So water on Mars = Muslim outreach ?

Oh, they get everywhere.

It's why Trump wants to make them all illegal.

He still resents the Moors and the use of the 'Indian number'.

Silver badge
Coat

"He still resents the Moors and the use of the 'Indian number'."

I'm tempted to resent his mother for not using indian rubber (or any prophylactic).

Silver badge
Joke

<quote>Didn't know there where any Muslims on Mars...</quote>

I wonder, exactly what direction will they face when they say their daily prayers????

Surely it's not too late to abort Trump?

Devil

The time to worry is when strangers are sniffing around Uranus.

Silver badge
Alien

Groan...reminds me of an old(ish) Spittin' Image announcer joke (on the album, which I still have somewhere)

...so when are NASA planning to probe Uranus?

Holmes

Simple logic

Just because something is not true is no reason to doubt it. When you've eliminated the impossible, choose one and have faith.

FAIL

Publicity notwithstanding....

Are you sure the conspiracy theorists weren't watching a trailer for XCOM 2?

Facepalm

Nom nom nom

Fruitcake for lunch!

Silver badge

"it lost most of its atmosphere for reasons not yet discovered"

I thought we had the bastard responsible - is it not a combination of not enough gravity and no volcanism? Not enough mass to keep it all from boiling off and nothing to replenish it?

Re: "it lost most of its atmosphere for reasons not yet discovered"

I thought the major cause was Mars' lack of a magnetic field to deflect the solar wind from ablating the atmosphere.

FAIL

Apparently looking up what he actually said is too hard...

So many comments yet not one of you appears to have even heard or read what Rush actually said, just regurgitating what the media fed you, so who are the real morons I wonder... He never said that the claim of finding running water was a hoax and didn't mention anything at all about Muslims, other than how NASA's budget was transferred to Muslim outreach by the Obama regime (a verifiable fact BTW). One can easily check the transcript on his site, or if you listen to him like I have for over 20 years catch it live. He welcomed the news, what he did state was that given the fact that the Obama regime has molded most government bodies into extensions of its political ambitions that they would use this finding to spin some sort of message to bolster their ideology and sure enough right on cue some NASA spokesperson did indeed invoke the 'climate change' mantra to explain why the potential ocean on Mars had now disappeared.

Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Apparently looking up what he actually said is too hard...

> ... yet not one of you appears to have even heard or read what Rush actually said, ...

I have and from what I see he is a thermonuclear fuckmuppet.

Silver badge

Re: Apparently looking up what he actually said is too hard...

Said the basement dwelling troll.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017