back to article BAN the ROBOT WHORES, says robot whore expert: 'These AREN'T BARBIES'

An expert has called for a ban on sex robots, saying that their introduction will, in some unspecified way, increase the damage to society caused by prostitution. Chatting with The Register, Dr Kathleen Richardson PhD contended that the possible AI sex droids of the future would strongly contribute to the continuing miserable …

Page:

1. DropBear Silver badge
        Devil

Re: Demarcation?

"...she might find that it isn't men, or at least only men, who are the target market place"

Quick tally on a major UK "provider's" site (only ever visited strictly for research - of course), assuming no men interested in pointy things (in an academic spherical-cow-like view - sorry, rainbow guys):

- (men's) masturbators & pumps: 79 items found

- dildos & vibrators: 316 items found

...hmmmmmmmmm...

1. Fatman Silver badge
      Joke

Missed it by a millenium....

<quote>Please, FOAD back to the 19th centuary(sic).</quote>

You must look very carefully to see that I FTFY!!!

See "Dark Ages": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_%28historiography%29

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

That is not what the law says

The law as it stands today will line you up for a long spell in state accommodation nearly anywhere if your toy resembles let's say Lisa Simpson. Unless you are designing Olympic logos of course.

In some jurisdictions you will end up in state accommodation with extra services such as lashes, etc if the toy resembles a person of the same sexual persuasion as you.

So as the law and society perceptions presently stand there is a limit to what you can enjoy in your own house. By the way - I fully agree to ban her (and other pretend moralists that probably have a vibrator in their purse) and send them back to sometimes in the middle ages where they belong.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@AC

"surely it has to be better than waking up to someone unknown after 5 cans of tennants super down the local disco and a free exchange of virus or microbes which might have very bad long term concequences for their hos"

Excellent point... well it is if people wash it out first :D

1. Permidion
    Facepalm

wrong priorities?

replacing mistreated human women by robots is a bad thing? how?

there are certainly much more urgent matter to take care of than the possibility of robot being used for that in a long long time in the future ...

2. RobHib
    Meh

Concerns? It's little wonder methinks.

Seems to me that there may be another motive behind Dr Kathleen Richardson's concerns. A small increase of a few percent in the number of women on the planet could effectively reduce the power of women. Female-like robot surrogates may fulfil that role.

If males could get enjoyable, consistent, trouble and argument-free sex from lifelike surrogates whenever they wanted it then women's power over them by withholding sex etc. could be seriously undermined.

Little wonder Dr Richardson couches her concerns in a somewhat ridiculous way.

1. nsld

Re: Concerns? It's little wonder methinks.

It would be worth buying one just to piss of the hairy arsed femonazi cock dodgers

1. RobHib

@nsld - Re: Concerns? It's little wonder methinks.

Like it or hate it, I've absolutely no doubt that we'll eventually have female robot sex partners. Fettishes seem to be widespread and commomplace, so robots that are truly lifelike representations of females would probably be very acceptable to many males–they might even be a great hit.

Given that the current state of robot technology is equivalent to what computers were in the 1950s, just consider what a surrograte female robot would be like 50 years hence. Right, it's a no-brainer.

Meanwile I'll continue to enjoy the real thing despite tribulations.

1. nsld

Re: @nsld - Concerns? It's little wonder methinks.

it could actually introduce an element of competition to the marketplace.

So we remove the weaponisation and at the same time raise the performance bar.

Whats not to like?

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

"just consider what a surrograte female robot would be like 50 years hence. Right, it's a no-brainer." - you mean they'll all be like Katie Price. That's put me right off.

1. Simon Harris Silver badge

"you mean they'll all be like Katie Price"

There isn't enough orange paint in the world for that to happen!

3. fajensen Silver badge
          Paris Hilton

just consider what a surrograte female robot would be like 50 years hence.

Stronger, Faster, Smarter, Friendlier & More Attractive than most humans. Honestly, What's not to like?

Who the hell else than a robot will want to change my diaper in 50 years time and carry me off to bed? A female robot would of course be designed to enjoy every opportunity to help it's master, whatever the task required of it - exactly like dogs are. Besides ... the alternatives, Is it more "fair" to employ a 3'rd worlder or minimum-wage carer to do this kind of work (and wear down *their* health from the strain of it, besides us having nothing to talk about and scheduling preventing any time wasted on non-KPI tasks)?

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"we'll eventually have female robot sex partners" - but I thought marriage rates were going down? ;)

2. TeeCee Gold badge

hairy arsed femonazi cock dodgers

Is that another euphemism for women in comfortable shoes?

2. Steve Gill
      Childcatcher

women's power over men could be seriously undermined?

You could be talking about the extinction of the human race as birth rates plummet.

Children? What children?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon Silver badge
        WTF?

@Steve

you are aware of the {human} population situation on this planet aren't you?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

"Children? What children?"

Sounds wonderful.

3. Mycho Silver badge
        1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: birth rates plummet.

> We won't need sex to reproduce. Let's make it obsolete.

But it would mean you didn't have to fear a knock on the door from the CSA wanting to empty your bank balance.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: birth rates plummet.

"[...] recently acknowledged that it is possible to use skin stem cells from two adults of the same gender to make human egg and sperm cells."

With early cell cluster genetic screening and repair - then the scenario of Lapis and Lazuli** from a single parent becomes possible. All you need are surrogate mothers - assuming Brave New World techniques are still far in the future.

**or were they clones of their father?

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The number of children on the planet is already in decline, in case you did not get the memo

1. DropBear Silver badge
          Trollface

...so now you know why the Drake equation doesn't work - all those aliens (not) out there didn't extinguish their civilisations through global conflict! They just invented fembots...

5. Steven Roper

"You could be talking about the extinction of the human race as birth rates plummet."

You say that like it's a bad thing...

1. Sir Runcible Spoon Silver badge

"The number of children on the planet is already in decline, in case you did not get the memo"

Citation please, that statement can mean just about anything without the source information and context.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

This is not a primary source, and I cannot be bothered to go do your research.

http://www.gapminder.org/news/world-peak-number-of-children-is-now/

The number of children under 15 is stable at around 1.9B and it has peaked. The estimated maximum global population of 9.xB sometime around 2050 (the value declines pretty much every year when the estimates are made).

This is not contentious.

3. psyvenrix
      Flame

Came here to post a quick anti-feminist rant using just that angle of how sex-fem-bots reduces female power over men.

Found not only did you beat me to the punch you did so with none of the bile oozing out of my mouth hole.

I shall take notes and learn from this. Thank you.

4. fajensen Silver badge

And ... To really get the Feminist-fundamentalist blood up: We could all go out and get a sex-bot that cooks and cleans the house too!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

the old model can cook & clean?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No one castigates you for employing a cook or cleaner in quite the same way as they do for frequenting an establishment of negotiable affection.

You'd probably have different bots for different jobs.

You could have a cook bot (and put Pizza delivery drivers out of work)

A clean bot (Oh no the thought of Kryten's groinal attachment just sprung to mind)

As well as a bonky bot.

What's more none of them would get jealous of each other.

3. Rande Knight

Where does she draw the line?

Obvious a dildo is a sex toy, but when does it become a prostitute?

When you have to pay to use it?

When it's got an embedded AI?

When it's got legs and can move around?

When it's got a voice and _could_ say no except that it's programmed to never say no?

1. SolidSquid

Re: Where does she draw the line?

Even then it gets pretty fuzzy, you'd probably need to hit actual self awareness with the ai before consent actually became an issue, but judging whether it's hit that threshold. If you've programmed it so it's capable of saying no, but it gets so much out of the sex that it never really has a *reason* to say no then arguably you have consent in everything except a very small edge case, but the question then is whether the edge case is a bug or if it's an actual consent issue

1. Tim Jenkins

If your sex robot has achieved actual self awareness, then you're into a whole different ball *ahem* game . Presumably it consents, or not, with the added option of applying a few thousand volts through its universal sex bus in the event of unwanted docking...

1. Dazed and Confused Silver badge
          Happy

Re: If your sex robot has achieved actual self awareness

Does this remind anyone else of the cow from the TV version of the Restaurant at the end of the Universe?

1. d3vy Silver badge

Wasn't it a pig?

1. Simon Harris Silver badge

"Wasn't it a pig?"

Ameglian Major Cow

although it did have rather a piggy nose in the TV programme.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Wasn't it a pig?"

In a poke?

2. Teiwaz Silver badge

Actually, my first thoughts were of Armitage III and Chobits.

1. The Dude
              Devil

I will thank you, sir, to leave my wife out of this!

2. TRT Silver badge

Ha ha. Fuzzy logic. I like 'em natural.

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

"Even then it gets pretty fuzzy" - what? Realistic hair ? Who is going to wash that part out each night?

1. SolidSquid

Well as long as it's dishwasher safe you should be fine

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
          Joke

I think you should draw the line when they implement the GPP-feature. Not necessarily for ethical reasons, but just because Sirius Cybernetics is bound to get something HORRIBLY wrong in "your plastic pal who's fun to be with".

That, and inevitably the genuine people personality will be thoroughly annoying in some way

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Obvious a dildo is a sex toy, but

Glance at any site that sells dildos and you've find that along with the static varieties and simple mechanical vibrators there is an ever increasing use of electronics in them. The robocock will be around decades before the fully functioning robo hooker of Red Dwarf fame.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" The robocock will be around decades before the fully functioning robo hooker of Red Dwarf fame."

As dildos are only a simulation of one part of the male body - then the equivalent for men is a similar evolution of the Fleshlight.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>> When it's got a voice and _could_ say no except that it's programmed to never say no?

Or it's programmed to ALWAYS say no.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or it's programmed to ALWAYS say no.

OH NO, the GPP factor

4. DropBear Silver badge

"...when does it become a prostitute?"

Fair question, but we need not ask it until you're ready to grant full citizenship with equal rights (including voting) to one of them - isn't it?

4. Joey

Does anyone know if 'Roxxxy' can also do some light housework and cooking?

1. Shrimpling

I can get take away food... Does anybody know if she can do the ironing?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

She seems to have overlooked the hypothesis that over time people will bond with machines that exhibit even the smallest of human characteristics. That makes a home sex robot no different than a favourite teddy bear, or even a treasured car, in the owner's affections.

There is possibly a difference between street prostitutes with random clients - and what used to be called courtesans with regular clients. The story of Cynthia Payne suggested that she regarded the services she provided as sex therapy for her regular customers - plus a friendly cup of tea and a biscuit.

Simon Raven's series of novels often had plots including that symbiotic theme culled from his hedonistic life.

A social worker acquaintance once said that many families didn't face up to the fact that their grown-up disabled children had sexual needs. In enlightened areas these were provided by sympathetic sex workers.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019