back to article Stop taking drug advice from Kim Kardashian on Twitter, sighs watchdog

Robert Dean may be questioning his career decisions. The division director of US drug regulator the FDA has warned the public that Kim Kardashian's social network pages are not a particularly reliable source of medical advice. In an open-letter [PDF], Dean said endorsements from celebrity buttocks Kardashian were misleading …

Page:

1. Rich 11

Re: Start handing out fines

That would put Gwynneth Paltrow out of business.

Good.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I believe that all "celebrities" that dole out pseudo-medical advice should be arrested and tried for reckless endangerment.

3. Turtle

@DrXym Re: Start handing out fines

"The FDA should be slapping her with a hefty fine instead of a stern warning. "

She could go to court to have the fine quashed, especially as she has a defense that would guarantee her victory: she could plead ignorance.

1. x 7

Re: @DrXym Start handing out fines

"The FDA should be slapping her"

with an arse like that she'd never feel it

1. Steve Evans

"can cause drowsiness and should not be taken before any activity requiring mental alertness"

So no side effects that would be detectable in a reality TV star then...

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Or indeed anyone who 'follows' her.

2. A K Stiles
    Facepalm

Could they do the same thing?

For all the 'celebrity' 'medical' 'advice' about immunisation and homeopathy too?

3. x 7

"the drug can cause drowsiness and should not be taken before any activity requiring mental alertness"

Her husbands probably happy then - he doesn't have to listen to her for a while

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"the drug can cause drowsiness and should not be taken before any activity requiring mental alertness"

Ah, that explains a lot :)

4. Steven Roper

They shouldn't correct her

She's doing the human race a favour.

If anyone is stupid enough to follow her advice and consequently kills themselves AND their future offspring, then Darwin's principles are operating perfectly in helping to ensure the continuing improvement of the human gene pool.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fortunately, we don't allow advertising of prescription-only medicine (POM) to general public in UK. But just as in US the marketing authorization holder is responsible for what is said in promotion of any of their medicines. In this case it seems the MAH is a repeat offender. Their regulatory affairs people need a bollocking if they weren't trying to enforce the rules, if the marketing dept was ignoring regulatory affairs then they need a double bollocking, and if senior management is a fault then they need their pension plans and share options redistributed to the poor. To encourage the others....

1. Pookietoo

Re: "we don't allow advertising of prescription-only medicine"

You should qualify that with "to the public". Drug companies spend plenty bringing their products to the attention of medical professionals.

6. PassiveSmoking

Seeing as how the last really famous morning sickness pill was Thalidomide, I think I'd definitely want somebody more qualified than a celebrity endorsing it.

7. Lamont Cranston

And I thought that talking meercats giving financial advice was the daftest marketing technique.

The human race never ceases to amaze.

1. Teiwaz

Re: And I thought that talking meercats giving financial advice was the daftest marketing technique.

Meerkats have triple her I.Q.

...and are a tenth as shrill and irritating.

8. nijam Silver badge

I realise it makes me an awful person, but I couldn't help thinking that perhaps someone could persuade her to tweet about how cyanide cures morning sickness. (And it's probably cheaper and "more natural" than some naff proprietary drug.)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Schlimnitz

'Buttocks' Kardashian

Nice one, though it would be ambiguous, as I believe there are several Kardashians (each with several buttocks).

I am simultaneously repulsed and fascinated by the fact that people can be famous just for being famous, and nothing else.

And though it's fun to scorn them, who's raking in the millions for not doing anything much? I figure they have the last laugh.

1. Doctor_Wibble

Re: 'Buttocks' Kardashian

"each with several buttocks"

Related to the four-assed monkey of legend then?

2. Bluto Nash

Re: 'Buttocks' Kardashian

...and now for something completely different

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqosS6DBwhA

10. Graham Marsden
    Facepalm

"Stop taking ANY advice...

"...from people on Twitter without checking it with reputable sources!"

FTFY

11. d3vy

"should not be taken before any activity requiring mental alertness"

Can't imagine that will be an issue for her, or any of her "followers"

12. Efros

FDA Warning Letter

Not their first time according to the letter. Seems they did something similar a couple of years ago, fines should now be imposed, on the Kardashian bint too. The stuff that gets advertised in the US as having some kind of pharmaceutical property is just mind boggling, the purveyors seem to make their cash from the mindless masses and get out of Dodge before the behemoth that is the FDA wakes up.

13. 2Nick3

Most shocking!

"Kardashian, a high school graduate..."

That's easily the most shocking statement in the whole article!

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: Most shocking!

Graduated with what though?

1. Efros

Re: Most shocking!

Presumably a High School Diploma, but to be honest from what I've seen it probably could be replaced with an attendance certificate.

14. sisk

Why would anyone take advice of any kind from a woman whose judgement is so sorely lacking that she's bringing the spawn of Kanye West into the world?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like