back to article Who thinks Microsoft Edge sucks? Erm, Microsoft

Microsoft relaunched Internet Explorer this week as "Edge" – and the software behemoth appears already prepared to accept that its super new browser may absolutely suck. At the same time as the new name was announced at its Build conference in San Francisco, the Redmond biz instructed brand protection company MarkMonitor to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Re: el reg still using cutting edge tech...

There is an El Reg animated gif that rears its ugly head sometimes (people looking back and fore at a tennis match)

Edge Logo

Does anyone have an idea why the new logo for Edge is a shower head over a wash basin? For reference: http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Microsoft_Edge

Thumb Up

Re: Edge Logo

Ha! I had to squint to get that to appear - otherwise it just looks like the old IE "e" with a Flock of Seagulls haircut.

I don't remember askin' you a Goddamn thing!

Anonymous Coward

"the old IE "e" with a Flock of Seagulls haircut."

That'll hit the target audience, that's for sure.

Try viewing it in a 2012 logo way.

Silver badge

SHIT!!!!

Here I thought that Microsoft would use something more descriptive of the informal name many have given to IE - Internet ExploDer.

How's this for an icon:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/336/5/2/Mushroom_Cloud_by_Wittman80.jpg

Yay, A Flock of Seagulls. They're still going, but have very little hair left.

Anonymous Coward

Mad Hatters and haters.

Don't diss my security blanket !

If it does suck, it can't do much harm

If it does suck, it can hardly do any harm it only runs on Windows 10. Are Windows 8.1 Users getting it? Do they care?

I opened the 'theguardian.com' realised it was slow and clunky, compared to both Firefox and Chrome on my Windows 10 build 10061 machine. Closed it, not looked at it since.

Hated everything about IE (especially the fact I'm constantly been nagged by the latest IE11 Update that fails to install, repeatedly)

I hate Windows Update more, Windows Update even in 10, is the exactly same shit its been for eternity.

Windows 10's lipstick is starting to smudge. There is free, and there is unfinished, the rest of us have to pay for this shit. When will Enterprises come to their senses and ditch this crap for good, nearly everything is done in browser nowadays (or in the near future).

Another 10 Years of Licensing of Windows 10? - no thanks.

Silver badge

thisnewsarticlesucks.com

Well here's a non-story if there ever was one.

Breaking news; it's possible to string together any number of different words, with the last one being "sucks", and register it as a domain! And no-one can stop you!! Why hasn't Microsoft thought of this and only done two or three?!

Silver badge
Happy

Re: thisnewsarticlesucks.com

It would be cheaper for MS to rename themselves as "Our Software Sucks Co.

Silver badge

Re: thisnewsarticlesucks.com

Well here's a non-story if there ever was one.

On the contrary - it shows there's still money to be made in this market of DNS-registration-for-the-sake-of-registration. PR organizations with more budget than sense (or possibly operating under orders to protect some executive ego) are willing to fire a few bucks at intermediaries who will do nothing but pointlessly register a handful of names.

That's of some academic interest, and a useful reminder of just how many opportunities for legal scams the conjunction of technology and human nature afford us.

How much for MicrosoftEdgeBlows.com ?

Other witticisms...

How about:

LifeontheEdge.com

TheEdgeofdarkness.com

fallingovertheEdge.com

And - How does U2's guitarist feel about having a Microsoft browser named after him?

WTF?

You'd have to REALLY think a product sucks to spend 2.5 kUSD for the domain to protest them.

But But...

..who needs all these MicrosoftEdgeSucks.com and all when you cna just go to microsoft.com and see it anyway?

Edge doesn't suck though, and it's not IE. Microsoft is dropping every single feature that made IE IE, including ActiveX support, layout quirks, several vendor prefixes, VBScript, and lots, lots more. They're doing this as a standards obedience effort. http://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2015/05/06/a-break-from-the-past-part-2-saying-goodbye-to-activex-vbscript-attachevent/

Re: it's not IE

Just because they've removed many of the things that made IE bad, doesn't mean they're left with anything good.

Think I'll register one

microsoftedgesucksballs.com ...... Just in case.

Anonymous Coward

Im trying Edge out now

Its slow, really surprisingly slow.

On the plus side the interface looks nice.

Aye

Never seen good things about Microsoft in this online publication really.

Here is purely anti-Microsoft site.

Yes this article is spot on, Edge sucks

Edge sucks and so does the new updated version of Firefox. Edge simply crashes my computer. FF has implemented some update that makes doing simple tasks, which used to be one step tasks, now force me to click 2 maybe 3 times to complete the same task. It's nearly impossible to comment in forum rooms because sites like Detroit News, Detroit Free Press, Slate.com does not recognized the new version (I am surprised that I can comment here). When I enter my username / password, nothing happens, and if I do happen to get into any of these rooms, it takes upward of 15 minutes of repeated entering my data to simply get in, which does not mean that I can comment. It's pointless. This all began with the updated OS system to WIN 10, Edge, and FF updates. So in fact, the culmination of all the updates makes doing simple tasks longer and aggravating. I had to dump Norton 360 because WIN 10 made it completely useless - as noted by many other users also - just Google and you'll find them. The only thing that remained the same in end-user ease was my Canon printer. It stayed the same, as hard it it is to believe, I had no problems with it. Now had I kept my old HP 6500 All-In-One printer? It would have been a nightmare to get that up and running again, as it had always been since buying it in 2009.

Something must be wrong with your installation of Firefox. I've used it for years and haven't had any issues with it like what you described. I'm using Firefox 41.0.1 right now. Try running it in SafeMode and see if the problems persist ([Alt] -> Help -> Restart with Add-ons Disabled).

The mentioned domains no longer appear to be active

I just noticed that the domains mentioned in this article no longer work. They used to redirect to the Microsoft homepage. Now they throw a "Server not found" error.

Edge is actually a very good app,

that's what it is, not a browser, but an app.

It does just about everything ok.

Here's why they suck though:

1- Immense amounts of RAM usage. No problem when you're having 8GB of RAM, but if you're still running the 32bit version of Win10, and less than 3 or 4GB, you may be running out of memory.

ON a regular browsing session, EDGE runs with about 1,5GB of RAM, and quickly can exceed 2,5GB, leaving ample little amounts left for OS and VRAM (In case your video memory is shared).

2- It regularly freezes, waiting for download data, which makes the browsing experience super slow.

3- It crashes often.

4- Extremely slow response on the recently downloaded list.

By the time an app runs from the Edge browser download list, you may have started it trice already, thinking perhaps your mouse was the culprit; not knowing amongst all the popups and windows notifications, which notification is from the first installation click, and which from the others.

5- Forceful BING search.

The edge app won't even allow you to search on Google.

Try looking for a few things in Bing. Obviously Bing being the inferior search engine, will not always come up with the desired website results. Hopping over to Google to do the same searches, may result in one or two searches from Google, before they stop the google website from functioning. (yes, you can only search a few times on Google).

All in all, it would be an ok browser app, if it only didn't use so much RAM, and used Google as main search engine.

Same happened a while back with Internet Explorer only allowing you to see Bing Maps, and not Google maps correctly.

For me, it's not a good browser, and got replaced by Chrome.

Sorry Microsoft,

Like usual, you know how to FUCK things up really bad, and gain disfavor from everyone!

Anonymous Coward

MICROSOFT EDGE HATERS & SOCIAL MEDIA

I hate Microsoft Edge too. If I used Social Media & I no longer do, I would circulate a petition for Microsoft customers who hate Microsoft Edge. I tried to complain to Microsoft, but on Microsoft Edge I have to sign into my Microsoft account that I'm already signed into before I can contact them, but for some reason Microsoft just does not let me sign in to complain & apparently Edge does not recognize that I'm signed into my Microsoft account. Bah, humbug. I wish I new how to use an OS other than Microsoft or Apple products. : (

Anonymous Coward

Re: MICROSOFT EDGE HATERS & SOCIAL MEDIA

I never used to know how to use anything but DOS.

Then Windows 3.1 came along, and I learned how to use that. Then Windows 95…

About that time I also came to use this funny OS called Red Hat Linux 4, and another called SCO OpenServer 5.

The technology genie is willing to grant you that wish, but it'll take more than rubbing a lamp to make it happen.

Bronze badge
Linux

Analogy

The Microsoft Edge 'Experience' is being like being in the middle seat between two 350 pound eavesdroppers constantly annoying you to sign up for more 'services'.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018